Devil's Dyke, Sussex superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so my last post for the night is to confess that there's this one coldplay song (i dunno which, i don't listen to them, but i hear it on the radio) and the opening chords always make me think it's 2000s u2 for .5 second.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Random: The Violent Femmes appeared in an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. In the episode, Sabrina and her friends went to a record store signing to meet the band. Libby had a PLEBA-like obsession with Gordon Gano, so Sabrina did a spell where he'd like her back... and the band invited her to their hotel room, but then the spell wore off and all they wanted to do was watch cartoons and they totally ignored her.

It's like fanfic on TV!
:lol: that's hilarious!

Axver said:

Howl. It was boring.

Ahh, I could see how people could think that. Some of the songs do drag. It really isn't an accurate representation of their sound, though. At the time they recorded that, they'd just lost their drummer, so all the songs they wrote turned out to be acoustic/piano songs. You'd probably like the more psychadelic BRMC album.

Varitek said:
so my last post for the night is to confess that there's this one coldplay song (i dunno which, i don't listen to them, but i hear it on the radio) and the opening chords always make me think it's 2000s u2 for .5 second.

... well that's helpful.

the tourist said:

Sweet. Time for my playlist to get Axed.

Just extracting the files now and I realise I haven't downloaded Soda. Hopefully it'll be fully downloaded by the time Shoes is done, though.

Hey Axver, I want your judgement on something. See, I got a free subscription of Spin, which is like Rolling Stone only more indie with a younger audience. Basically I haven't heard of two-thirds of the bands they feature, but what the hell, it was free.

Anyway, I was flipping through one of them and there was an album review for some band I've never heard of. They said that the production was so bad that it sounded like it was recorded on masking tape, and that the guitars were so distorted that they sounded like vacuum cleaners, and the whole thing was overlaid over boring beats from a dollar store drum machine..... but they said they loved all of that stuff and gave it four stars.

:eyebrow:

Axver said:

Just extracting the files now and I realise I haven't downloaded Soda. Hopefully it'll be fully downloaded by the time Shoes is done, though.

Probably should be. Each section is about 53 minutes long.

lol, i used to subscribe to spin way back when. i remember them interviewing the spice girls pre-nicknames (like they dubbed them something totally different before the scary, sporty, etc. names stuck), the infamous no doubt cover with only gwen, etc.

yeah i'm pretentious. wanna fight about it?

the tourist said:

... well that's helpful.

i can hear it in my head but i don't know lyrics so i can't say which one...but, it's a sad story about 2000s u2, or about coldplay ripping them off, or something

man tonight while talking about music my boyfriend set me up for all these great digs that were just "just like 2000s u2" but he didn't get any of them.

Dear computer,

Could you possibly run any slower?

No love,
Ax

the tourist said:
Yes, please.
okay
sissies.gif

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Hey Axver, I want your judgement on something. See, I got a free subscription of Spin, which is like Rolling Stone only more indie with a younger audience. Basically I haven't heard of two-thirds of the bands they feature, but what the hell, it was free.

Anyway, I was flipping through one of them and there was an album review for some band I've never heard of. They said that the production was so bad that it sounded like it was recorded on masking tape, and that the guitars were so distorted that they sounded like vacuum cleaners, and the whole thing was overlaid over boring beats from a dollar store drum machine..... but they said they loved all of that stuff and gave it four stars.

:eyebrow:

:lol:

I can almost believe that. I mean, some of the Dunedin Sound music sounds like absolute dogshit. It was the early eighties at the bottom of the world and due to living on a shoe-string budget, much of it was recorded raw onto Chris Knox's four track player and that was it. And yet a lot of it is really incredible music. You just need to dig through how bad it sounds.

the tourist said:
Everyone else rips off U2 these days. Why can't Coldplay?

I frankly have a hard time thinking of any bands that show an obvious U2 influence besides Coldplay. U2, despite their fame, have not been very influential thus far.

Starting on Shoes.

Axver said:
:lol:

I can almost believe that. I mean, some of the Dunedin Sound music sounds like absolute dogshit. It was the early eighties at the bottom of the world and due to living on a shoe-string budget, much of it was recorded raw onto Chris Knox's four track player and that was it. And yet a lot of it is really incredible music. You just need to dig through how bad it sounds.
Apparently this band made it sound bad on purpose, and that was the "brilliant" part :shrug:

Axver said:

I frankly have a hard time thinking of any bands that show an obvious U2 influence besides Coldplay. U2, despite their fame, have not been very influential thus far.

Starting on Shoes.

I think most of the new wave/garage rock/dancy pop-rock (ie The Killers, The Bravery, and many many more) rip off U2's songwriting style, guitar tone, and way of playing.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Apparently this band made it sound bad on purpose, and that was the "brilliant" part :shrug:

Oh, well that's just pretentious and stupid. I don't get why anybody would go lo-fi on purpose. The Dunedin Sound bands had no choice. Why would you intentionally tarnish the quality of your music?

Everyone wants to be U2. Coldplay are the only band that thought they could actually do it. The trick is in the obnoxiousness of the frontman.

(I feel mean saying this stuff :( I love Bono, I really do, but all too often I want to slap some sense into him)

the tourist said:

I think most of the new wave/garage rock/dancy pop-rock (ie The Killers, The Bravery, and many many more) rip off U2's songwriting style, guitar tone, and way of playing.

I don't hear any U2 influence at all, frankly. I couldn't name one U2 song their music sounds like.

Axver said:
Oh, well that's just pretentious and stupid. I don't get why anybody would go lo-fi on purpose. The Dunedin Sound bands had no choice. Why would you intentionally tarnish the quality of your music?
yeah, that's the exact word i was thinking of. pretentious. i hate shit like that. maybe if i heard it i'd be blown away by its brilliance, but on the review alone, i fail to see how inferior production and recording methods make it the album of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom