Devil's Dyke, Sussex superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

Blasphemy from the pits of Hades.

I'm not saying it wasn't good. I mean, I really enjoyed the song. But best PF track ever? World's most amazing solo? Hell no.

Comfortably Numb entered my top three Floyd songs on first listen. That was an epic track.

22 is pretty good. Really dig the guitar.

Axver said:

I'm not saying it wasn't good. I mean, I really enjoyed the song. But best PF track ever? World's most amazing solo? Hell no.

Because solos aren't about how many notes you can pluck within 8 measures, I would put it among the top 3-5 solos in rock, actually. :wink:

My favorite guitar solo ever is still the live Love Is Blindness solo from ZooTV: Sydney.

LemonMelon said:

Because solos aren't about how many notes you can pluck within 8 measures, I would put it among the top 3-5 solos in rock, actually. :wink:

Little known fact: I'm generally not that into wanky solos with too many notes.

I honestly don't think I have a favourite guitar solo. Plenty of favourites, but I wouldn't identify any as a particular favourite above all others.

It feels kind of ridiculous to compare, say, 11 O'clock Tick Tock to Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere But Not Here anyway.

My favourite guitar moments tend to not be solos in the first place ...

Axver said:

Little known fact: I'm generally not that into wanky solos with too many notes.

Oh, that sarcastic remark wasn't directed at you; it was just my general hatred for that particular attitude that prompted me to write it. :up:

My 5 favorite solos in rock:

1. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (Eddie Hazel)
2. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (David Gilmour)
3. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (Jimmy Page)
4. Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne (Larry Carlton)
5. David Bowie - Moonage Daydream (Mick Ronson)

The live version of Moonage Daydream from the Ziggy Motion Picture is one of the best performances of any song ever.

I really like the live guitar solo from Oasis' Familiar to Millions live album.

I feel like U2 solos shouldn't rank that highly for me, because come on, The Edge isn't the greatest guitarist ever, but 11 O'clock Tick Tock, New Year's Day, One Tree Hill, God Part II, The Fly, Love Is Blindness - fuck yes.

phillyfan26 said:
The Edge is criminally underrated outside of U2 fans, though.

Well, if you're basing things off of technical playing and sheer ability, I can't blame them. If you're basing things off painting a picture, though, I can.

andreeeeeeeeeeeeew!

andrewridgleywv2.jpg

the tourist said:
Well, if you're basing things off of technical playing and sheer ability, I can't blame them. If you're basing things off painting a picture, though, I can.

Even with the former, I think he's better at guitar than his released work shows.

But yeah, his best attribute as a guitarist is his abilities in creating sonic landscapes.

That's why I also consider Bad U2's signature song.

the tourist said:
Not Streets?

Not quite. I think Bad is the best summary of how each band member excels, and best showcases the "signature" U2 lyric, with an honest take on a serious issue, heartfelt, compassionate. It's fantastic vocals, simple but profound guitar, and good rhythm. Everything you could want in a U2 song all there. My favorite studio song by them.

I was going to greet you, Khan, but after that picture, hell no. :yikes:

phillyfan26 said:

Even with the former, I think he's better at guitar than his released work shows.

But yeah, his best attribute as a guitarist is his abilities in creating sonic landscapes.

That's why I also consider Bad U2's signature song.

Yeah, certainly live offers more of a demonstration of his ability as a musician than the studio albums reveal.

I would say Bad is U2's definitive live song.

phillyfan26 said:
His Zoo TV Bullet solo shows he's much more proficient than he lets on.

Ehhh, what he's doing there sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom