Devil's Beef Tub, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aah, cool... that makes more sense :wink:

My Nan's insane enough that she's done ultra-marathons. Mum's done both half-marathons and marathons.

So they've always watched the track events - and New Zealand's traditionally been strong at the 1,500m too, and Nan's old enough to remember Peter Snell dominating it, so we also had that reason to pay attention. Nick Willis's bronze this year is the first time a Kiwi's managed a medal in the event since the 1970s.

nah not that one either i duont know wich one ine it is now!

Heh, I'd like to know what it was, whenever you figure it out!

Have a good night! :wave:

And ooh, pole vault final now! The pole vault is probably my favourite field event.

Seeya Anna! :wave:

What's an ultra-marathon? :ohmy:

Pole vault is cool.
Plus it makes me think of a Billy Connolly joke... he sees this guy walking through an airport with a big long pole over his shoulder, and Billy goes to him, "Oh, you're a pole vaulter?" And the guy goes, "Yes... and how did you know my name was Volter?"
:giggle:

An ickle bird told me Axver and GG2 were betting on Derek and I?

What's an ultra-marathon? :ohmy:

Pole vault is cool.
Plus it makes me think of a Billy Connolly joke... he sees this guy walking through an airport with a big long pole over his shoulder, and Billy goes to him, "Oh, you're a pole vaulter?" And the guy goes, "Yes... and how did you know my name was Volter?"
:giggle:

An ultra-marathon is twice the length of a marathon. I think you've got to be crazy.

:lmao: That's ... both good and lame. I'm just pissed 7 only showed a couple of people (including, of course, the Aussie) before chopping to some Aussies in the diving. It gives you no context of the event, how anybody's doing or anything! Absolutely infuriating. At least SBS picks one event and sticks with it.

An ultra-marathon is twice the length of a marathon. I think you've got to be crazy.

:lmao: That's ... both good and lame. I'm just pissed 7 only showed a couple of people (including, of course, the Aussie) before chopping to some Aussies in the diving. It gives you no context of the event, how anybody's doing or anything! Absolutely infuriating. At least SBS picks one event and sticks with it.

Holy shit, that is insane. Mega props to your Nan! I didn't even know that was POSSIBLE.

Billy. :love:

But didn't you know? We're only interested in Aussies winning GOLD! MORE GOLD!! The gold rush never really ended, you know.
To hell with anyone who's actually interested in the sport in and of itself. Pfft.

Holy shit, that is insane. Mega props to your Nan! I didn't even know that was POSSIBLE.

Billy. :love:

But didn't you know? We're only interested in Aussies winning GOLD! MORE GOLD!! The gold rush never really ended, you know.
To hell with anyone who's actually interested in the sport in and of itself. Pfft.

My Nan is INSANE. She's done these multi-day endurance bike races through country New Zealand. The craziest story is when she did a race around the southern North Island. On the first day, the route followed the formation of the closed Rimutaka Incline railway, and in one tunnel, she hit a depression in the ground and took a hard tumble into the tunnel wall. But she decided she was OK and kept riding. And pitched tents for the couple of overnight stops and everything. She refused any medical attention until about two and a half days after the tumble, when it was discovered she had COMPLETELY SHATTERED her shoulder. We've never let her live it down.

:laugh: I think 7 has improved on their woeful Commonwealth Games coverage, and managed to focus a bit more, but they've had some shocking moments. Like tonight! Why are they running a puff piece right now when they're already having trouble keeping up with the diving and the pole vaulting? Argh! :mad:

I hope Reggo's enjoying the thread. :lol:

Oh gawd, the latest innovation from "Mobile Active"... "Turn your mobile phone into a fart machine!"....

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's worse, that or the "text FLIRT to 523905238956 to MEET GIRLS NOW" sort of ads.

...She refused any medical attention until about two and a half days after the tumble, when it was discovered she had COMPLETELY SHATTERED her shoulder. We've never let her live it down.
Yeah, I think that qualifies her as insane. :yikes:

:laugh: I think 7 has improved on their woeful Commonwealth Games coverage, and managed to focus a bit more, but they've had some shocking moments. Like tonight! Why are they running a puff piece right now when they're already having trouble keeping up with the diving and the pole vaulting? Argh! :mad:
They must get paid for the puff pieces somehow. That's the only reason I can think of.

Yeah, I think that qualifies her as insane. :yikes:

They must get paid for the puff pieces somehow. That's the only reason I can think of.

I don't think she's done any serious races since then, mainly because she's gotten too old and, surprise, her shoulder isn't quite what it used to be. No, now she acts as a course official, which often leads her to doing mad things anyway, like standing overnight in some desolate corner in the Gold Coast Hinterland to keep racers on track.

Or maybe 7 thinks this crap is genuinely what their viewers want. After all, this is the channel that pulls the ratings for Today Tonight. :|

I don't think she's done any serious races since then, mainly because she's gotten too old and, surprise, her shoulder isn't quite what it used to be. No, now she acts as a course official, which often leads her to doing mad things anyway, like standing overnight in some desolate corner in the Gold Coast Hinterland to keep racers on track.
Don't they have little reflective course markers to do things like that? Or lights or something?

Or maybe 7 thinks this crap is genuinely what their viewers want. After all, this is the channel that pulls the ratings for Today Tonight. :|
:| True.

Watching The Mummy here. :lol:

:grumpy: very funny.

I can think of a few ways it can get lower...:hmm:

You and Derek need to give in to your urges.

I just saw that the American pole vaulter in the finals right now is called Derek. I just want you to know Derek has a very long pole.

:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom