Details on New Smashing Pumpkins Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Billy just announced through MySpace the sixth Pumpkins album will be called "Zeitgeist," and will be released on 7/7/07. If "Pisces Iscariot" is included as an album, even though it's b-sides and rarities, it would be their seventh album.

I can't wait for this album. One thing that's odd though, is 7/7/07 is a Saturday. I guess when you're the Pumpkins, you can do whatever you want.

Another cool thing about the Pumpkins is their fourth friend on their MySpace - Mute Math. The Pumpkins even go so far as to officially recommend Mute Math in their "about me" section.

I urge you to follow up on this recommendation.

coemgen

The more important question is who else is in the band other than Billy and Jimmy?

:hmm:

coemgen said:
Billy just announced through MySpace the sixth Pumpkins album will be called "Zeitgeist," and will be released on 7/7/07.

Oh My Freaking God!!! That's the name I suggested for U2 once in the new album forum! It's a fucking kick ass name! :combust:

Ok, not to be an ass or anything (and I do really like the smashing pumpkins and i've seen them live 4 times) but . . . .

. . . zeitgeist means "of the moment" or "spirit of the times" or "capturing the feeling/movement of a particular time/era", and I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".

i think the new album will be loved by fans, but i really don't see it being a zeitgeist album in this day and age, where alternative music is at in 2007.

that's just my $ .02

FitzChivalry said:
I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".

:hmm: True.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The more important question is who else is in the band other than Billy and Jimmy?

:hmm:

Yeah. I doubt D'Arcy is in. James could be, and hopefully is, but who knows. Melissa Auf Der Maur said she's in if D'Arcy isn't.

We shall see.

FitzChivalry said:
Ok, not to be an ass or anything (and I do really like the smashing pumpkins and i've seen them live 4 times) but . . . .

. . . zeitgeist means "of the moment" or "spirit of the times" or "capturing the feeling/movement of a particular time/era", and I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".

i think the new album will be loved by fans, but i really don't see it being a zeitgeist album in this day and age, where alternative music is at in 2007.

that's just my $ .02

It may not be that they're saying the Pumpkins are the spirit of these times or even their music. Maybe the lyrics focus on current themes or topics? Maybe it's what the album's about, more than what the album is. Or, maybe it's talking about the spirit of the Pumpkins at this stage.

I'm just rambling.

I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my definition and not spreading misinformation. Here's the definition of zeitgest:

Zeit·geist (tsīt'gīst', zīt'-) Pronunciation Key
n. The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation; the spirit of the time; general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time.

Therefore:

coemgen said:
It may not be that they're saying the Pumpkins are the spirit of these times or even their music. Maybe the lyrics focus on current themes or topics? Maybe it's what the album's about, more than what the album is.
I'm just rambling.

You could be completely correct Coemgen. It could be what the album is topically about rather than what it is being presented to be.

Though, this is Billy Corgan we're talking about, and he's not very well known for, let's say, his subtlety. :lol: :laugh:

FitzChivalry said:
I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my definition and not spreading misinformation. Here's the definition of zeitgest:

Therefore:

You could be completely correct Coemgen. It could be what the album is topically about rather than what it is being presented to be.

Though, this is Billy Corgan we're talking about, and he's not very well known for, let's say, his subtlety. :lol: :laugh:

This is true, FitzChivalry. :wink:

U2Girl416 said:
how can it really be the Smashing Pumpkins with only Billy and Jimmy coming back to it?

The Who is The Who with just Townshend and Daltry.

Nothing against D'Arcy, but I wouldn't at all be against Auf Der Maur coming back.

She's awesome. :rockon:

I really, really, REALLY don't hope it'll be another Adore or Machina... Let's have some Gish/Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie!
It would be so wonderful if D'Arcy and James are in, but I highly doubt it. As for Melissa, I have nothing against her as I'm a big fan of her work with Hole, but if it's gonna be TSP, D'Arcy has to be in. No real Pumpkins without her. Or James Iha for that sake.

i'll take billy and jimmy playing together in any form. i actually LIKED zwan ('lyric', 'declarations of faith', 'settle down' - unreleased gems like the epic 'chrysanthemum' [holy guacamole!] and 'my life and times'). i reckon those two playing together and thinking about things as the pumpkins will yeild great results.
and i for one would be fucking pumped for anything in the same ballpark as machina/machina II, or gish/siamese dream for that matter. give me guitars and energy and melody!

I really don't understand why Adore gets shat on so much by Pumpkins fans. Especially since it's easily one of their best albums, if not their absolute best.

"For Martha" = :drool:

XHendrix24 said:
I really don't understand why Adore gets shat on so much by Pumpkins fans. Especially since it's easily one of their best albums, if not their absolute best.

"For Martha" = :drool:

I agree, Adore is my favourite pumpkins album by far.

The reason why so many fans dislike it is because there are no hard rock songs. The reason why the pumpkins are so brilliant is because they write amazing rock songs and then follow them up by meaningful and deep songs that touch the soul.

I agree with Adore. It's one of my favorites. I like about half of the songs on Machine a lot, too. They could've trimmed that one down and it would've made a fine album overall.

malena_u2 said:
As for Melissa, I have nothing against her as I'm a big fan of her work with Hole, but if it's gonna be TSP, D'Arcy has to be in. No real Pumpkins without her. Or James Iha for that sake.

I think Melissa is a much better musician than D'Arcy ever was. A reunion with the original lineup would really hype things up marketing-wise, but I think Billy is above that at this point.

Plus, Melissa is Canadian.

angelordevil said:

I think Melissa is a much better musician than D'Arcy ever was.

right on. i can live without d'arcy in the band.
james would be great,
but i could get by that, too.
basically, give me jimmy playing rock drums in well-written tunes
billy writing well-written tunes and playing rock guitar
and everything will be alright.
melissa would be fantastic...

Back
Top Bottom