Details on New Smashing Pumpkins Album - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Details on New Smashing Pumpkins Album

Billy just announced through MySpace the sixth Pumpkins album will be called "Zeitgeist," and will be released on 7/7/07. If "Pisces Iscariot" is included as an album, even though it's b-sides and rarities, it would be their seventh album.

I can't wait for this album. One thing that's odd though, is 7/7/07 is a Saturday. I guess when you're the Pumpkins, you can do whatever you want.

Another cool thing about the Pumpkins is their fourth friend on their MySpace - Mute Math. The Pumpkins even go so far as to officially recommend Mute Math in their "about me" section.

I urge you to follow up on this recommendation.

coemgen
__________________

__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:04 PM
The more important question is who else is in the band other than Billy and Jimmy?

__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Re: Details on New Smashing Pumpkins Album

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Billy just announced through MySpace the sixth Pumpkins album will be called "Zeitgeist," and will be released on 7/7/07.
Oh My Freaking God!!! That's the name I suggested for U2 once in the new album forum! It's a fucking kick ass name!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Ok, not to be an ass or anything (and I do really like the smashing pumpkins and i've seen them live 4 times) but . . . .

. . . zeitgeist means "of the moment" or "spirit of the times" or "capturing the feeling/movement of a particular time/era", and I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".

i think the new album will be loved by fans, but i really don't see it being a zeitgeist album in this day and age, where alternative music is at in 2007.

that's just my $ .02
__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".
True.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
The more important question is who else is in the band other than Billy and Jimmy?

Yeah. I doubt D'Arcy is in. James could be, and hopefully is, but who knows. Melissa Auf Der Maur said she's in if D'Arcy isn't.

We shall see.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
Ok, not to be an ass or anything (and I do really like the smashing pumpkins and i've seen them live 4 times) but . . . .

. . . zeitgeist means "of the moment" or "spirit of the times" or "capturing the feeling/movement of a particular time/era", and I kind of have to say that I think smashing pumpkins zeitgeist was somewhere around "siamese dream"/"mellon collie and the infinite sadness".

i think the new album will be loved by fans, but i really don't see it being a zeitgeist album in this day and age, where alternative music is at in 2007.

that's just my $ .02
It may not be that they're saying the Pumpkins are the spirit of these times or even their music. Maybe the lyrics focus on current themes or topics? Maybe it's what the album's about, more than what the album is. Or, maybe it's talking about the spirit of the Pumpkins at this stage.

I'm just rambling.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 05:04 PM
I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my definition and not spreading misinformation. Here's the definition of zeitgest:

Quote:
Zeit·geist (tsīt'gīst', zīt'-) Pronunciation Key
n. The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation; the spirit of the time; general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time.
Therefore:

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
It may not be that they're saying the Pumpkins are the spirit of these times or even their music. Maybe the lyrics focus on current themes or topics? Maybe it's what the album's about, more than what the album is.
I'm just rambling.
You could be completely correct Coemgen. It could be what the album is topically about rather than what it is being presented to be.

Though, this is Billy Corgan we're talking about, and he's not very well known for, let's say, his subtlety.
__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Girl416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Posts: 3,435
Local Time: 07:04 PM
how can it really be the Smashing Pumpkins with only Billy and Jimmy coming back to it?
__________________
U2Girl416 is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my definition and not spreading misinformation. Here's the definition of zeitgest:



Therefore:



You could be completely correct Coemgen. It could be what the album is topically about rather than what it is being presented to be.

Though, this is Billy Corgan we're talking about, and he's not very well known for, let's say, his subtlety.
This is true, FitzChivalry.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl416
how can it really be the Smashing Pumpkins with only Billy and Jimmy coming back to it?
The Who is The Who with just Townshend and Daltry.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Jimmy Chamberlin on "Geek U.S.A."
__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Jimmy Chamberlin tapping a tin can.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 05:04 PM
(since we don't have a :jimmydrum: . . . yet.)


__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Refugee
 
maro_chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,087
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Nothing against D'Arcy, but I wouldn't at all be against Auf Der Maur coming back.

She's awesome.
__________________

__________________
maro_chik is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com