Desert Island VII, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Done!

A C1 tram near the Spencer Street end:

s640x480
Awwww, I used to work up the Paris End...

Well, just to go with the electricity theme, check out this catenary action.

s640x480

Woah, I bet they suck up a bit of juice. Maybe that's what some of those accounts are that I see copping $40,000 bills each month. And that's without the retailer mark-up!

Woah, I bet they suck up a bit of juice. Maybe that's what some of those accounts are that I see copping $40,000 bills each month. And that's without the retailer mark-up!

Oooh yeah, I hate to think what the electricity usage works out as - though it still works out as more energy efficient than pretty much any other transport alternative you can name. V/Line recently produced some study claiming their diesel trains are more environmentally friendly, but it was a bit of a laugh since it took into account the fact that Connex trains use LaTrobe Valley coal power plants for some of their electricity, but failed to take into account any of the energy used to drill for oil or transport the diesel to Australia or anything - they just assessed its environmental impact once it arrived on V/Line property!

Aaaand now just for Bonnie and BEG, it's LaTrobe Street! :cute:

And a W class tram in green and cream. :drool:

s640x480

What about a complex two-rate meter?

And done!

03intervalmultiphase.jpg

An interval multiphase meter (I think, I left my notes at work).

Basic in this instance just means non-electronic... this baby stores the consumption data electronically, and the meter reader just sticks his little probe in the thingy at the top, and hey presto, you either get a month/quarter's worth of 15- or 30-minute meter reads, or a Probe Error, which is always amusing to see on the system.

Or as I saw it referrred to once, the Gdansk end.....

:lmao:

It seems they're gentrifying the area now, though. Some huge development is being built right at the very west end above the railway tracks south of Spencer Street Station. I'm kind of pissed, since that's a great photography spot, but oh well.

Basic in this instance just means non-electronic... this baby stores the consumption data electronically, and the meter reader just sticks his little probe in the thingy at the top, and hey presto, you either get a month/quarter's worth of 15- or 30-minute meter reads, or a Probe Error, which is always amusing to see on the system.

Oooh, right.

Probe Error? :lmao:

I think they only do it when the next bus is 15 minutes away. I'd be furious if they did it when the buses are 30 minutes apart.
wow thats a long time, i was talking, if the next bus isn't 1-2 blocks away (in boston they get backed up alot on my route).

In fact, here's a picture of the development at Collins West End. The pylons in the foreground are part of the first stage of construction. Soon the railway lines here will get the Fed Square treatment!

s640x480

Aaaand now just for Bonnie and BEG, it's LaTrobe Street! :cute:

And a W class tram in green and cream. :drool:

s640x480
Oh joy!! In 3 years in Melb I think I went down LaTrobe like twice, and once cos I came out the wrong exit at Melb Central.

And those trams are fucking dangerous!

Probe Error? :lmao:
Yes, that makes us giggle too. As does the common abbreviation "F/O" that comes back on some service orders, which, of course, stands for Field Officer. :yes:

06thrice-damned324i.jpg

This meter, believe it or not, is the bane of our existence. Some idiot decided that EVERYONE should start using them, except the systems of every single electricity distributor and probably retailer too, were in no way set up to accommodate them. So they're a fucking nightmare. We've got like 3 people working FULL TIME on the damn things just to keep them billing properly.

HATE HATE HATE. If I could have got away with some sort of ritual burning, I would have torched the thing. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom