Desert Island VII, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this picture just after my first meeting at the Royal Historical Society. Little did I know what I was in for after that day ...!

s640x480

My tram stop! And what do you know, more jaywalkers. I also hate that blue building - a cheap attempt at gentrification that has half failed. The apartments are inhabited, but development of streetfront shops has stalled.

s640x480

Uh, the blue building looks like the wall of my bathroom.

Also, i'm a bit guilty of jaywalking in Auckland, but not on busy streets. Just one particular street that has a bus only lane going one way, a huge island in the middle and then one lane of traffic the other side.

It invites crossing.

Yeah, it came through well.

Hopefully one of the next few days is as clear as it was yesterday, I could get some brilliant sharp photos. I'd need the right wind conditions, too, though.

I'm really hoping we get a nice, clear day soon. We've had too many cloudy days and I'd like to go photographing. Though I've no idea quite where yet. I'd like to do more than just trains/trams.

It's just a pain these clouds don't seem to be bringing much in the way of rain at all.

Uh, the blue building looks like the wall of my bathroom.

Also, i'm a bit guilty of jaywalking in Auckland, but not on busy streets. Just one particular street that has a bus only lane going one way, a huge island in the middle and then one lane of traffic the other side.

It invites crossing.

I KNOW. It's shocking. How about the rows of tiles that have fallen out? Can't believe that hasn't been fixed, though at least when it got graffitied, that was painted over in a couple of days.

I must admit, I jaywalk sometimes here too, mainly to get from the tram to the side of the road at university when nothing's coming. Hordes of other people do it, so I just blend in with the crowd.

I'm really hoping we get a nice, clear day soon. We've had too many cloudy days and I'd like to go photographing. Though I've no idea quite where yet. I'd like to do more than just trains/trams.

I feel the same way - except frankly I don't think there is anything I feel is worth photographing relatively nearby.

I'm hoping a nice day at the airport will invite photos of more than planes, it's not a bad area if I were to go for a bit of a walk away from the car.

Wow, that tram looks much longer than one would expect.

They're some of the shortest in the city too. You should see the new C2 tram we've got on loan from France. It's a fucking beast! I've no idea how it fits at some of the outer suburban stops.

I must admit, I jaywalk sometimes here too, mainly to get from the tram to the side of the road at university when nothing's coming. Hordes of other people do it, so I just blend in with the crowd.

I do it near home too, I alarm motorists because I cross half way and then continue walking down the road on the median (its for pedestrians mainly, i'm sure, because there is an island in the middle of it) until traffic has cleared and then I cross.

I don't know why it makes drivers uncomfortable though.

I feel the same way - except frankly I don't think there is anything I feel is worth photographing relatively nearby.

I'm hoping a nice day at the airport will invite photos of more than planes, it's not a bad area if I were to go for a bit of a walk away from the car.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what else I'm meant to photograph. It's just inner suburbia around here. Maybe some nice buildings could make good photography subjects, I don't know. I'd love to go out to the Dandenongs or Philip Island or somewhere, though.

If I had a better camera, I could probably do some cool stuff in Royal Park too. Though a lot of it is so dry and nasty ...

I do it near home too, I alarm motorists because I cross half way and then continue walking down the road on the median (its for pedestrians mainly, i'm sure, because there is an island in the middle of it) until traffic has cleared and then I cross.

I don't know why it makes drivers uncomfortable though.

Ha, I don't think you could alarm Melbourne motorists doing that. I see it pretty frequently on Flemington Road, and if I get off the rear of a tram, I sometimes do it myself to get up to the intersection. Flemington Road is one of those crazy sorts of roads pretty unique to Melbourne. Two lanes, then a median, then two more lanes going the same way, two tram tracks, two lanes going the other way, a median, and finally two more lanes going the other way.

Heh, I just accidentally opened a folder which has some flight simulator pictures.

fsscr019.jpg

Ha, neat.

I should dig out Railroad Tycoon II or Transport Tycoon one of these days and give it a bit of a spin.

Ha, I don't think you could alarm Melbourne motorists doing that. I see it pretty frequently on Flemington Road, and if I get off the rear of a tram, I sometimes do it myself to get up to the intersection. Flemington Road is one of those crazy sorts of roads pretty unique to Melbourne. Two lanes, then a median, then two more lanes going the same way, two tram tracks, two lanes going the other way, a median, and finally two more lanes going the other way.

It's inexplicable to me. Someone standing still on the median is more likely to worry me, because they might just dart out to get across if they're in a rush, but the person walking down the road on the median looking to cross is making up the waiting time and doesn't have to make a stupid move.

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in other people.

Here's Z3 230 on William Street, stopped at Bourke Street, back in March.

s640x480

It's inexplicable to me. Someone standing still on the median is more likely to worry me, because they might just dart out to get across if they're in a rush, but the person walking down the road on the median looking to cross is making up the waiting time and doesn't have to make a stupid move.

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in other people.

Maybe they think the person walking is just gaining speed to lunge at their car door and carjack them!

Who fucking knows.

NOT IN BOTANY!

Actually, the carpark outside the New World supermarket is apparently notorious for crime. It's never seemed dangerous to me!

Maybe the good folk of Otara and Manurewa sometimes feel like a change of scenery for their favourite past-times?

This B2 is unfortunately running away from the camera, which I think lessens the shot a little, but I still liked it enough to upload. It's cruising along Peel Street, having just crossed Victoria Street by the Queen Victoria Market - which I can also tell you a lot of stories about, including that the vast bulk of it occupies the site of the Old Melbourne Cemetery.

s640x480

B2 cruising down Peel Street by the Queen Vic Market. And look! A jaywalker cruising along the median!

s640x480

It's a pretty common joke that they don't like to do their shopping in their own neighbourhood

:lol: Probably the only thing they like about their neighbourhood is the proliferation of booze that helps them to forget all the reasons why their neighbourhood is shit.

A tram going the other way up Peel Street. And look to its right, between it and the taxi - MORE jaywalkers! What did I say about these people being bloody everywhere?

s640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom