Desert Island VII, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The word gunzel originated from the Sydney Tramway Museum in the 1960s as a term for foolish or reckless railfans who shot at things with cameras. Usage was originally confined to south eastern states, it has since spread to the whole of Australia and parts of New Zealand. May be used to refer to a specific interest, e.g. "freight gunzel", "tram gunzel".

(just to save others from having to google) :up:

Oh, I know it's happened, but I'd never actually seen it used for non-cricket purposes myself.

I think my father said he even went to a concert there back in the day.

I know it gets used as a training venue for visiting rugby teams.

I was flipping through a book about the Basin at Lancaster Park/Jade Stadium/AMI Stadium. The history of the Basin is fascinating.

Gunzel that gets in the way of other gunzels?

Oh, it was funny at the Albury trip's photostops, with gunzels trying to get awesome spots and moving in the way of others. Some were polite about it, "would you mind moving a little that way, please?" sort of thing, but some just cracked me up with their "Oi! You! Out of my shot!" I was pleased that people often didn't move for them. :laugh:

The word gunzel originated from the Sydney Tramway Museum in the 1960s as a term for foolish or reckless railfans who shot at things with cameras. Usage was originally confined to south eastern states, it has since spread to the whole of Australia and parts of New Zealand. May be used to refer to a specific interest, e.g. "freight gunzel", "tram gunzel".

(just to save others from having to google) :up:

Thanks partner.

a term for foolish or reckless railfans who shot at things with cameras.

Interesting to note that now it's become a fairly generic and non-pejorative term for the most part, while "foamer" is used for the foolish and reckless railfans. Meanwhile, in New Zealand, "foamer" is used for just the average railfan.

Personally, I don't like "foamer", while "gunzel" has a ring to it.

Oh, it was funny at the Albury trip's photostops, with gunzels trying to get awesome spots and moving in the way of others. Some were polite about it, "would you mind moving a little that way, please?" sort of thing, but some just cracked me up with their "Oi! You! Out of my shot!" I was pleased that people often didn't move for them. :laugh:

See, i'd either ask politely or move a little myself.

The "Oi! You! Out of my shot!" would be reserved for friends or people who would know i'm joking.

Idiot gunzels.

I was flipping through a book about the Basin at Lancaster Park/Jade Stadium/AMI Stadium. The history of the Basin is fascinating.

Ooh, that would have been cool. All I know is that the area used to be swampland.

And "Jade/AMI Stadium" can go fuck itself. It always has and always will be Lancaster Park as far as I'm concerned.

See, i'd either ask politely or move a little myself.

The "Oi! You! Out of my shot!" would be reserved for friends or people who would know i'm joking.

Idiot gunzels.

Yeah, if anybody had done that to me, I would have just stepped into their shot a bit more. And it was a fucking ten carriage train full of people wanting to take photos. There are going to be people all in your way. DEAL WITH IT.

I think the phrases I used most that day were "bloody gunzels" and "idiot gunzels". Especially when I saw morons trespassing lineside.

Ooh, that would have been cool. All I know is that the area used to be swampland.

And "Jade/AMI Stadium" can go fuck itself. It always has and always will be Lancaster Park as far as I'm concerned.

What surprised me was that I was there they day they started tearing the old stand down and even under the old stand, which wouldn't have had more than a few months remaining when the name changed had all new signage underneath it.

foamer sounds like what railfans do in their pants when they see a train comming .

:laugh:

Close, actually. It's meant to imply that the person in question foams at the mouth (like a rabid dog) at the sight of trains.

slightly random but the shouting reminded me that today when I was in Geelong I told quite a few people off :reject:

i was heard to utter to people in the crowd, "just get out of the way", "move", "don't stop right in front of me", to a lady choosing tomatoes"they're all the same, just pick one"...........

........what a bitch a roony doony.:mad:

What surprised me was that I was there they day they started tearing the old stand down and even under the old stand, which wouldn't have had more than a few months remaining when the name changed had all new signage underneath it.

But Ian, people NEED TO KNOW about AMI.

Whatever the fuck AMI is. Insurance or something? Well, at least it's something a bit more known than Jade. I've still no idea what Jade is, except the name of a girl who was in my grade at high school. Who, although hot, probably has ten STDs by now.

slightly random but the shouting reminded me that today when I was in Geelong I told quite a few people off :reject:

i was heard to utter to people in the crowd, "just get out of the way", "move", "don't stop right in front of me", to a lady choosing tomatoes"they're all the same, just pick one"...........

:lol:

you should have heard me swearing at feral kids this arvo at the shops,

no shoes no parents , snotty noses and running riot in the shop. putting grotty fucking hands all over everything :mad:

But Ian, people NEED TO KNOW about AMI.

Whatever the fuck AMI is. Insurance or something? Well, at least it's something a bit more known than Jade. I've still no idea what Jade is, except the name of a girl who was in my grade at high school. Who, although hot, probably has ten STDs by now.

AMI, it's like AAMI but without the girl in the ads. Or any other relation to AAMI. Except that they sell insurance.

Wasn't Jade an IT solutions something? Bloody hell.

Don't have to deal with that so much with plane idiots. Especially because you might get fucking shot or arrested and quizzed by very angry people if you trespass at an airport.

The preservation organisations are trying really hard to clamp down on idiots trespassing, because there is a fear that the organisations themselves will be made responsible for them by insurance companies and insurance for tours will thus become prohibitive. Or worse, that the rail access authorities will deem tours too much of a risk due to trespassers and not permit any on the system at all. I made a point of taking photos of idiots trespassing in case they're necessary.

See, I often want to do this to people but I usually hold my tongue. Told a moron to get out of the fucking way when I was trying to hop off a tram once, though. And one twit who wouldn't move out of my way at a tram stop got to bounce off my shoulder into the tram. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom