Desert Island VII, Superthread - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #661
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Well, I'm sort of having a break 'cause my sister called when we were watching the movie, so my brother's just talking to her.

I watched Therapy?'s cover of Husker Du's Diane. Some people on Youtube actually like it more than the original? I hate opinions!
People on Youtube are absolute fucking idiots. Seriously. The comments on almost any video are genuinely retarded.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #662
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I'm amused by the fact that a large number of my bus companies buses that run to the city are adorned with Qantas Cityflyer ads.

I see Pacific Blue advertising on buses too. Haven't seen Air New Zealand though...
Although amusing, I can understand buses or trams accepting ads from airlines. After all, it's not as if anybody's going to be thinking "shit, should I take the tram or the plane to work today?" But the Toyota ad tram in Melbourne cracks me up every time, since Toyota's a direct competitor with Yarra Trams!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #663
Vocal parasite

Quote:
People on Youtube are absolute fucking idiots. Seriously. The comments on almost any video are genuinely retarded.
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I think that when you sign up to YouTube, you have to sever your brain stem.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #664
Vocal parasite

Also, Bonnie, I need to listen to some Husker Du. What album do you recommend? Zen Arcade's the most famous, right?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #665
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Although amusing, I can understand buses or trams accepting ads from airlines. After all, it's not as if anybody's going to be thinking "shit, should I take the tram or the plane to work today?" But the Toyota ad tram in Melbourne cracks me up every time, since Toyota's a direct competitor with Yarra Trams!
Make money where you can!

How many people actually look at an ad on a bus or tram and think "Fuck it, i'll buy a Toyota!"

You can't see the ad once you're in the tram anyway.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #666
Vocal parasite

I like this photo. Complete accident. Photo of Fellow Albino Railfan photographing Z3 219 on William Street.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #667
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I think that when you sign up to YouTube, you have to sever your brain stem.
I've decided I'm only a signed up member for an easy place to store my videos.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #668
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I like this photo. Complete accident. Photo of Fellow Albino Railfan photographing Z3 219 on William Street.

That's pretty bloody cool.

I find a lot of great photos come by accident.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #669
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Make money where you can!

How many people actually look at an ad on a bus or tram and think "Fuck it, i'll buy a Toyota!"

You can't see the ad once you're in the tram anyway.
Yeah, I think that's their logic. "If they'll pay us, we'll take their money!" I suppose they're also working by the logic that most tram commuters own a car anyway and choose not to use it, or wouldn't/can't choose to own a car.

I wonder how effective advertising on trams or buses really is. I can sort of see it working for something like Macca's or Coke or whatever, just by jogging your mind as it goes past. "Damn, I'm thirsty ... yeah, Coke seems like a good idea." But I don't see anybody thinking "yeah, I could go for some insurance right now ... hmm, AAMI? Yeah, I'll sign up with them!"

At least it gives the trams some colour, though.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #670
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I've decided I'm only a signed up member for an easy place to store my videos.
I've thought of signing up to upload my railway videos, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #671
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 AM
2nd night in a row having a fucking breakdown over trying to send music to the phone, i just have to acceot that i will be stuck with a douchebag ring tone. PHAIL PHAIL PHAIL
oh and for some unfucking known reason my water here tonight is BROWN. what the hell people, i am more and more convinced this is africa, not only do our medical clinics turn away people 4 hours before they close, our power goes off constantly , there are stabbings and rapes daily, now my water is brown.

well.

welcome to hell .

/ rant.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #672
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That's pretty bloody cool.

I find a lot of great photos come by accident.
Yep. I've taken some awesome total flukes, while other photos that I've planned and expected to work out brilliantly have just been mediocre.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #673
Blue Crack Addict

Ax, on Husker Du - well, it's sometimes sort of weird when it comes to what's the most famous Husker album. I guess I'd say Zen Arcade is, but often times in books and magazines with lists you'll get another of their albums in, usually New Day Rising (which is a great album, one I grew up on) but sometimes they might even include what I think is their worst, Candy Apple Grey (though there are a few good songs from both Bob Mould and Grant Hart there).

Can't really list them, and unless you're an afficiando you probably wouldn't notice major differences between the albums. Metal Circus and Everything Falls Apart and More are earlier, and thus some of the songs are quite amateur but there are still many good ones scattered about (In a Free Land is one of my very favourites, a brief flirtation with anarchy). From Zen Arcade onwards you get a lot of wonderful 60s pop songs in punk disguises. Also their cover of the Byrd's Eight Miles High is IMO one of the few covers that is miles ahead of the original - in fact, the only one I can think of right about now.

There is a big change from when they signed to a major label with Candy Apple Grey, the songwriters become even more independent of each other and it times it feels like the crossing over of two albums. The songs are still good, though. Also there's a DVD of them playing in London before Flip Your Wig was released (probably my favourite album of theirs) that is really good.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #674
Vocal parasite

Jen

God, I once filled my ice tray and it was brown and I was creeped the fuck out. Emptied it, ran the water for a while, and it went a normal clear colour again. I was damn wary of the first batch of ice cubes after that incident, though. Fully expected to get sick but didn't.

Have an alcoholic drink.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #675
Blue Crack Addict

Back to the movie, catch you all later.

Tags
superthread