Desert Island VI Album Game: Round 1, Match 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second match of the first round for Interference Desert Island VI! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Match 2 features our defending champion, LemonMelon, going up against Salome. Below are their playlists.

Forum name: LemonMelon

Where Life Begins

With this playlist, my intentions were to delve into the essence of being, and death of the soul involved with celebrity. The music follows suit, telling a loose story about a mouse named Richard who saves his kingdom from the evil Fire Witch and becomes a hero, but his fame destroys him. This is told quite directly in track 1. During track 2, he becomes nearly homicidal due to his own hatred of mankind and brooding sadness. In track 3 he goes off into a psychedelic dreamworld to find the source of life and death itself. Track 4 is a surreal combination of thought and substance that never quite blossoms into something more. Yet this is beautiful. Axver helped me discover new genres and musical avenues during the making of this list, which caused me to admit the error of my sycophantic, commercial ways, so it may be slightly different than what you're used to hearing from me. But, rest assured, it's a sensory experience that is atmospheric, thrilling, and enlightening all at once.

Because the artists I chose to use on this playlist are slightly obscure, I would like to give you a quick summary of each one. Monolithic Eyeball Of The Silmarillion is a progressive rock group from Phoenix, Arizona. Their music channels classic rock, folk, and general avant-garde noodling in a manner that sweeps the listener away with a distinctly southwestern flavor. They were in consideration for the Guinness Book Of World Records for performing the longest song of all time at a gig in their hometown, but no one was there to see it. Octavium is a death metal band from Birmingham, England that Axver was particularly keen on. I'm not sure what the big deal is, but I liked the segue. I am more favorable towards Ue˜Ú, a Pitchfork-heralded Icelandic post-rock group that was said to have opened for Bjork at a school dance in 1978. Not much else about them is known, and they never talk loudly/clearly enough to be understood. But this is assuredly the source of their genius. Intransigent Rubber Accordions is an experimental garage rock collective from Brooklyn, NY that got started in 1966. Their claim to fame is having Andy Warhol cover his face with his hand after walking past them on the street one afternoon in 1967, and threatening a journalist who referred to them as "The Intransigent Rubber Accordions" with glass dildo crime. All of their recorded output is featured on the 2006 compilation Complete Intransigence, which consists of one 42-minute track from a dubiously-titled DAT tape discovered at the bottom of a whorehouse incinerator in 1987.

Their respective MySpace pages are as follows:

Monolithic Eyeball Of The Silmarillion on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Octavium on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Ue˜Ú on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Intransigent Rubber Accordions on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Please refer to the following short story for a more thorough description of Where Life Begins' lyrical themes and story line.

Track listing:

1. Monolithic Eyeball of The Silmarillion - "Tales From Pandosian Scrolls: The Battle Of The Fire Witch (Part IV)" - Phoenix Ascension (31:32)
2. Octavium - "The Sound Of Silence" - TH15 15 T3MP3R4NCE (35:49)
3. Ue˜Ú - "Góð Söngur" - Gaman að kynnast þér (37:55)
4. Intransigent Rubber Accordions - "DAT0010293" - Complete Intransigence (42:36)

Total runtime: 147:52

Forum Name: Salome

Can't say it like I mean it

1. The Nits - "In the Dutch mountains" - In the Dutch mountains (3:27)
2. De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig - "Hollereer" - De Machine (5:48)
3. Los Lobos - "Kitate" - The ride (3:29)
4. Blues Explosion - "Fed up and low down (Featuring DJ Shadow)" - Damage (4:06)
5. Tortoise - "Stretch (you are allright)" - It's all around you (5:18)
6. Joni Mitchell - "Hejira" - Hejira (6:41)
7. Fairport Convention - "Tam Lin" - Liege & Lief (7:14)
8. Russel Mills - "Blood is rising" - Undark (8:54)
9. Magma - "The last seven minutes (1970-77, Phase 1)" - Attahk (7:32)
10. The Dillenger Escape Plan - "Unretrofied" - Miss Machine (5:38)
11. Alex Empire - "If you live or die" - The golden foretaste of heaven (3:45)
12. Pet Shop Boys - "All over the world (this is a dub)" - Yes (special edition) (5:21)
13. Alison Moyet - "Can't say it like I mean it" - The turn (5:41)
14. Aphex Twin - "Ageispolis" - Selected ambient work 85-92 (5:23)
15. Sonic Youth - "Pink steam" - Rather ripped (6:58)
16. David Sylvian - "Midnight sun" - Dead bees on a cake (3:58)
17. Aaron Parks - "Karma" - Invisible Cinema (6:15)
18. Willy DeVille - "The downing of the flamingo" - Horse of a different color (5:16)
19. Lambchop - "Magnificent obsession" - What another man spills (3:21)
20. Kaizers Orchestra - "Bastard sønn" - Maskineri (3:57)
21. Guided by Voices - "Pivotal film" - Isolation Drills (3:10)
22. Quasimoto - "Rapcats part 3" - Further adventures of Lord Quas (2:00)
23. Man or astroman - "Many pieces of large fuzzy mammals" - Spectrum of infinite scale (3:07)
24. Antony & the Johnsons - "Daylight and the sun" - The crying light (6:21)
25. Joanna Newsom - "Clam, crab, cockle, cowrie" - The milk-eyed mender (4:21)
26. Zorn & Lewis & Frisell - "Blue minor 1" - More news for Lulu (6:04)

Total runtime: 133 mins 5 seconds

UP NEXT: gump vs. hardyharhar

Competition master list.

Have fun!

:lol: Aww, no short story? I understand there are size limits for each post, but it really tied the list together.
thedude.gif

Well, shit. Dunno who to vote for here. Neither list is really my thing.

I enjoyed Salome's list a lot...it was very different, very few songs I knew, and props on using Dillinger Escape Plan

but LemonMelon's...well. I voted for it.

I gotta go with Salome even though I think LeMel put more blood, sweat and tears into his list than all of us combined.

LM's list is the greatest thing to ever be submitted in DI history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom