Desert Island VI Album Game: Quarterfinal, Match 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the last Quarterfinal for Interference Desert Island VI! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The last quarterfinal has bono_212 and phillyfan26 facing off. Below are their playlists.

Forum name: bono_212

Robert's Fucking Despair Knows No Geographic Boundaries...I Mean...He Is Upset. So Take A Little Pity On The Guy Why Don't You?

I really don't have much to say about this list. Listening to it makes me extremely happy, that's for sure. I tried not to let current events in my life taint it too much, but, well, that's just not entirely possible, as, I find with music, you listen to the music that fits the mood your in. So, maybe I am semi-attempting to give an explanation for why my list is a little "poppier" than average, but, really, I created something I enjoy, and I hope you all can get a bit of entertainment out of it as well.

1. The Cure - "The Top" - The Top (6:58)
2. Peter Gabriel - "Games Without Frontiers" - Hit [Disc 1] (3:58)
3. Pet Shop Boys - "Suburbia" - Discography-Complete Singles Collection (4:04)
4. David Bowie - "Ashes To Ashes" - Scary Monsters (4:25)
5. U2 - "Love Comes Tumbling" - Wide Awake In America (4:45)
6. Tears For Fears - "Start Of The Breakdown" - The Hurting (5:01)
7. BellX1 - "The Great Defector" - The Great Defector (4:41)
8. The Killers - "On Top" - Hot Fuss (4:19)
9. Snow Patrol - "Set The Fire To The Third Bar" - Eyes Open (3:24)
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric" - It's Blitz!
11. Simon and Garfunkel - "America" - Bookends (3:36)
12. Joni Mitchell - "Both Sides Now" - Both Sides Now (5:45)
13. Okkervil River - "So Come Back, I Am Waiting" - Black Sheep Boy (8:03)
14. Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" - For Emma, Forever Ago (3:56)
15. Elton John - "Tiny Dancer" - The Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (6:17)
16. Bruce Springsteen - "I'm On Fire" - Born In The U.S.A. (2:34)
17. Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way" - Rumors (3:37)
18. Pixies - "Debaser" - Doolittle (2:53)
19. The Format - "She Doesn't Get It" - Dog Problems (3:51)
20. Cut Copy - "So Haunted" - In Ghost Colours (4:27)
21. Hellogoodbye - "Here (In Your Arms) - ZOMBIES! ALIENS! VAMPIRES! DINOSAURS! (4:01)
22. Elbow - "The Bones Of You" - The Seldom Seen Kid (4:49)
23. Crowded House - "Private Universe" - Together Alone (5:39)
24. Fleet Foxes - "Your Protector" - Fleet Foxes (4:10)
25. Bob Dylan - "Hurricane" - Essential Bob Dylan (8:34)
26. Ryan Adams - "Let It Ride" - Cold Roses (3:24)
27. Jefferson Airplane - "Embryonic Journey" - Surrealistic Pillow (1:56)
28. Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" - Led Zeppelin IV (3:32)
29. Tom Petty - "Alright For Now" - Full Moon Fever (2:01)
30. The Velvet Underground - "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (5:40)
31. Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees" - The Bends (4:51)
32. Barenaked Ladies - "Brian Wilson" - Gordon (4:47)
33. The National - "Abel" - Alligator (3:37)
34. Nick Drake - "From The Morning" - Pink Moon (2:30)
35. Cat Stevens - "Wild World" - Tea For The Tillermen (3:21)
36. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Who'll Stop The Rain" - Cosmo's Factory (2:28)

Forum Name: phillyfan26

Play From Your Fucking Heart

“The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think that it’s real because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it’s very brightly colored, and it’s very loud, and it’s fun … for a while. But some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: ‘Is this real, or is this just a ride?’ And other people have remembered, and they come back to us. They say, ‘Hey! Don’t worry. Don’t be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride.’ And we … kill those people! But it doesn’t matter, because it’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice: no effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice. Right now. Between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourselves off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here’s what you can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride: take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year, and instead, spend it feeding, clothing, and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.” – Bill Hicks

1. Bill Hicks – “The Vision” – Dangerous (0:58)
2. The National – “Abel” – Alligator (3:39)
3. Pixies – “Monkey Gone to Heaven” – Doolittle (2:57)
4. Pearl Jam – “Alive” – Ten (5:44)
5. Television – “Venus” – Marquee Moon (3:52)
6. Pavement – “Elevate Me Later” – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (2:53)
7. The Stone Roses – “She Bangs the Drums” – The Stone Roses (3:45)
8. Catherine Wheel – “Show me Mary” – Chrome (3:19)
9. R.E.M. – “Finest Worksong” – Document (3:50)
10. The Flaming Lips – “Fight Test” – Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (4:16)
11. The Last Shadow Puppets – “The Age of the Understatement” (3:08)
12. Kanye West feat. Dwele – “Flashing Lights” – Graduation (3:58)
13. Jay-Z – “Regrets” – Reasonable Doubt (4:34)
14. The Roots – “The Next Movement” – Things Fall Apart (4:10)
15. Marvin Gaye – “What’s Happening Brother” – What’s Going On (2:44)
16. Stevie Wonder – “Visions” – Innervisions (5:23)
17. David Bowie – “Wild Is the Wind” – Station to Station (6:00)
18. Elbow – “The Bones of You” – The Seldom Seen Kid (4:49)
19. U2 – “Fez – Being Born” – No Line on the Horizon (5:17)
20. God Is an Astronaut – “Remembrance Day” – All Is Violent, All Is Bright (4:17)
21. Pink Floyd – “One of These Days” – Meddle (5:56)
22. Animal Collective – “My Girls” – Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:43)
23. The Postal Service – “The District Sleeps Alone Tonight” – Give Up (4:44)
24. MGMT – “Kids” – Oracular Spectacular (5:03)
25. Los Campesinos! – “Miserabilia” – We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (3:15)
26. TV on the Radio – “Wolf Like Me” – Return to Cookie Mountain (4:39)
27. Mute Math – “Chaos” – Mute Math (4:55)
28. Radiohead – “A Wolf at the Door (It Girl. Rag Doll.)” – Hail to the Thief (3:23)
29. John Frusciante – “In Relief” – Shadows Collide with People (3:35)
30. Oasis – “Don’t Look Back in Anger” – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? (4:50)
31. The Clash – “The Card Cheat” – London Calling (3:50)
32. Fleet Foxes – “White Winter Hymnal” – Fleet Foxes (2:27)
33. Damien Rice – “Cannonball” – O (5:12)
34. Brett Dennen – “Ain’t No Reason” – So Much More (3:44)
35. Bruce Springsteen – “Magic” – Magic (2:45)
36. Arcade Fire – “My Body Is a Cage” – Neon Bible (4:47)

Total Runtime – 2:28:06

UP NEXT: Semifinals

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Fuck.

I almost feel like flipping a coin. These are possibly my two favorites. I'm going with "Robert's Fucking Despair Knows No Geographic Boundaries...I Mean...He Is Upset. So Take A Little Pity On The Guy Why Don't You?"

Very close, gotta go with pfan here though. By close, I mean like a "couple of songs close."

I had to go with Piffy too. But they're both chock full o' great songs. I guess I just like how his latent racism manifested itself in "segregating" almost all of the black artists' songs.

franklin.gif

PFan, just to let you know, yours is probably in my top 4 this time around.

This is why seeing who voted for what wasn't the best idea.

This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why I blindly vote for YLB, Peef, and GAF although I secretly hate their lists.

At least the Superthreaders are voting on other lists, too, which means, hey, there's no reason why they aren't objectively voting for Ashley's list.

Well, except Reggo. She sort of just voted for Ashley, told her to rock on, and then didn't vote in any other match.

Congrats, Ashley. Good luck next round.

What would happen if another iteration of this tourney came out, but without the voting? If there wasn't a limit to how many people could make a list and they were hosted in an open house-style format? The fun in all of this is getting exposed to new music, it's the competition part that proves to be problematic for various reasons.

I like making lists and getting feedback, and since that kind of fell apart, for the most part, this time around, you've got this sort of deal. I've said my piece earlier, I'm just trying to think of a constructive way to avoid further animosity.

I can't speak for people's voting actions, all I know is that I was enjoying playing a game. Accusations because your friend lost simply make you look like a little bitch. From you, honestly, this kinda really fucking hurts.

What would happen if another iteration of this tourney came out, but without the voting? If there wasn't a limit to how many people could make a list and they were hosted in an open house-style format? The fun in all of this is getting exposed to new music, it's the competition part that proves to be problematic for various reasons.

I like making lists and getting feedback, and since that kind of fell apart, for the most part, this time around, you've got this sort of deal. I've said my piece earlier, I'm just trying to think of a constructive way to avoid further animosity.

Is there actually any animosity? I can't tell. I don't see why there should be. We all kick ass at putting cool playlists together. Good for us.

I'm not pointing a finger at you specifically or anything, nor am I saying that it only happened here. That's not the only reason why some people did well or poorly either, but when people share tastes and that's the overwhelming trend, then it plays out in a certain way.

I think what happens when a tourney like this keeps on going is that the same people participate, the same people vote, etc... and it makes the whole thing very homogenized. That was the reason why I didn't want to participate in the next one, so that someone with some differing taste or input could contribute something different. I understand that someone's always going to feel gypped, but when a whole tournament is predicated on the fact that you listen to every list, and very few people seldom listen to every single one, then you've got a problem. Now you've either got to limit the amount of people who can participate or lengthen the listening time.

I could be completely off-base here, but that's my take on it. Agree or disagree, no hard feelings intended.

He's mentioned it before, it's not like this is a new idea. It's just relevant now based on some of the voting. Luckily, there's only one real example of anybody voting for a person without actually being a regular DI voter, which is really not a big deal, unlike a couple DIs ago when The Rockin' Edge was getting votes by going into the Temple Bar and asking non-DI players to vote for his list, people who clearly weren't listening to any lists. In this case, YLB for the most part seems to be making a specific observation to make a larger point, one that he's referenced previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom