Desert Island VI Album Game: Quarterfinal, Match 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least the Superthreaders are voting on other lists, too, which means, hey, there's no reason why they aren't objectively voting for Ashley's list.

Well, except Reggo. She sort of just voted for Ashley, told her to rock on, and then didn't vote in any other match.

Congrats, Ashley. Good luck next round.

I was finally able to download Ashley's list and voted last round and this one. She was ahead at the time I posted, so I congratulated her in the hope that she'd still be ahead when the poll closed.

I like making lists and getting feedback, and since that kind of fell apart, for the most part, this time around, you've got this sort of deal.
i think that's the problem, hardly anyone's lists were reviewed or whatever in the running diary thread. i mean hell, no one even did my list though it's not like i expected to win, you can't call something the worst playlist ever and be shocked when it loses. that was obviously the whole point of my list. though it was a little annoying that whenever i was up against someone, two people total would comment they voted for the other person. even though i purposely made a shitty list, a little feedback would be nice.

i don't see why it's even necessary to point fingers and accuse a group of people voting for someone within that group when another group of people is doing the same thing. i'm not accusing anyone of coming into one of the polls, looking for their buddy and voting. people are friends with each other because of things in common, so you're more likely to like your friend's list than someone else's. it's just how it is. and even casual voters isn't a new thing, in every tournament there's always been people who vote a couple times and that's it.

basically, to summarize, i don't see what the big deal is.

i think that's the problem, hardly anyone's lists were reviewed or whatever in the running diary thread. i mean hell, no one even did my list though it's not like i expected to win, you can't call something the worst playlist ever and be shocked when it loses. that was obviously the whole point of my list. though it was a little annoying that whenever i was up against someone, two people total would comment they voted for the other person. even though i purposely made a shitty list, a little feedback would be nice.

i don't see why it's even necessary to point fingers and accuse a group of people voting for someone within that group when another group of people is doing the same thing. i'm not accusing anyone of coming into one of the polls, looking for their buddy and voting. people are friends with each other because of things in common, so you're more likely to like your friend's list than someone else's. it's just how it is. and even casual voters isn't a new thing, in every tournament there's always been people who vote a couple times and that's it.

basically, to summarize, i don't see what the big deal is.

That's where the real problem is, like you said. If that system is broken down, then there goes the legitimacy of the whole she-bang, you know? I hold myself as accountable for this as anyone else, maybe even moreso.

That's totally fair, too, and I understand that. I do think, however, that at times, when two people's lists are pretty similar in style and taste and someone may not be a fan of either, sometimes personal bias comes into effect. That's debatable, and I understand if no one agrees with me here. Either way, it's frustrating when you're at the wrong end of that.

I was finally able to download Ashley's list and voted last round and this one. She was ahead at the time I posted, so I congratulated her in the hope that she'd still be ahead when the poll closed.

Totally cool, but how do you know if it compares to the other list it's up against?

Jesus Christ, what the hell happened here?

Speaking personally, I didn't look at who had voted for Ashley either before or after I voted for her list, nor did anybody on the Superthread ask anybody else to vote for her. It's not as if there was anything organised. I find it especially hilarious some comments have come from people who've posted prolifically in the Superthread themselves and should know better.

If I'm honest, I think this edition had some of the best lists but is possibly the worst actual tournament. No disrespect to phanan, who has run it well. It's just that I feel like the game has become a bit pointless and some of us might as well not enter. The homogeneity is frustrating. If you enter a list outside of B&C's little box (which seems to get more and more little by the year), you're not going to get anywhere.

When I brought this tournament to Interference, my intention was to expose myself and others to an array of different music. Yet it seems people can't be bothered listening, or listen very narrowly. This tournament, I entered a list that I think is some of my best work (equal with my DI V list), a list that showcased instrumental music from a range of genres and built up to a meaningful conclusion. As far as I know, only two people listened and gave me feedback; nobody who voted against it ever explained why; and it was written off as some sort of "post-rock fest" by people who hadn't even listened to it. I did not expect my list to do well, because "oh noez no vockulz!", but I expected that to be because it got blasted in reviews, not because it got ignored.

I don't want to give up on the tournament. I still have ideas for lists that I really believe in, and have a rough idea of what I want to enter next time. It will be in my usual vein of exposing people to music they probably don't know, and yes, for those of you who've been around a while, it's the metal list. Again, I expect to do badly, but I really do hope it's for actual reasons rather than "oh noez teh metaaooolll!"

In summary, I think DI needs to change. I'm not sure how. But the way it is, I'm not sure if my interest extends past a metal list submission as my parting shot.

I feel bad for pointing fingers earlier and do apologize for that, it's firmly rooted in the aforementioned homogeneity, I bet. I've used that word for the first time, so it's funny to see it being typed out.

This isn't supposed to be some indictment against the style of music that the board is predominantly in favor of, but hey, most of the people here are going to dig the "B&C sound" or whatever you'd like to call it, which, unfortunately, puts you at a disadvantage, Axver. It sucks, but I'm sure that I'd get a similar response on a metal band's fansite. I think the tournament set-up in general exposes that sort of rift even further.

I agree with you entirely, and I think that the best possible solution is to abandon any type of competition, and just make it a free-form sharing of lists. No limit on participants, but the guidelines for establishing lists still apply. Thoughts and critiques would still be encouraged, and the removal of any sort of time restraint or obligation to listen to something that you know for a fact that you will dislike (as opposed to trying something out for the first time) would greatly improve upon any sort of problems that have arose over the past couple of editions. This isn't a knock on Phanan or anyone who's been in charge of arranging this whole deal, they've done a knock-up job.

It's like communism: sure, it looks good on paper, but if all of your comrades aren't pulling their load, you're fucked. I'd say we're in the beginning process of that, but hey, that's just me.

Wow, I just usually vote and not read these threads. I didn't know there was so much drama!

I tried to listen to all the lists. I know I may have missed a few. Hardy heard more than I did, as I downloaded them for him. There are a couple of rounds I didn't vote in, because I honestly didn't care for either list (no offense). And for me, I have to hear things numerous times to get a good feel for it, and that even includes U2. So it's difficult for me to vote sometimes. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time to invest. I have no faves/buddies/allegiances here, so I'm just voting on what I like better :shrug: I know hubby has more time to listen and discovers lots of new music here.

BTW Axver, I listened to most of your list - it was morning/mid-morning, and it literally was putting me to sleep. Sorry! I actually went and laid down! :reject: :hug:
And I don't believe I voted in your round with Cassie because I didn't care for either :shrug:

If what you lot are on about is 'buddy' voting, then, well, I'm a case in point. I very, very, very rarely go into the superthreads and that stuff, I hardly know some of you, I only barely know a couple more, and even still, I'm currently leading in my semi final, and quite a few of you have said that my list is your favourite. So yeah.

Not sure what the problem is all of a sudden. It's not like things have changed that much from previous editions. On the surface, it may appear that the same voting blocks occur over and over, but I think it honestly means that those people have very similar musical tastes; some of them just happen to be good friends here as well. It's not a shock that the three musketeers vote along the same lines most of the time (although LM has differed on some of the matches). Likewise, I don't think Khan and Ian have voted differently on anything, either. But they really do enjoy the same type of music, so I can't really blame them.

Lila and Hardy vote often, sometimes the same, sometimes not (they certainly have different views on my entry :wink: ). It's just the nature of the beast; the people you hang out with tend to share the same type of music, so naturally, they will vote the same way. I honestly don't think it is any different now than any other time. You'll always have those votes that pop up on only one or two matches; if that's all the person heard, then that's all they will vote on.

Not sure how the tournament could change when you take that into consideration.

If I'm honest, I think this edition had some of the best lists but is possibly the worst actual tournament. No disrespect to phanan, who has run it well. It's just that I feel like the game has become a bit pointless and some of us might as well not enter. The homogeneity is frustrating. If you enter a list outside of B&C's little box (which seems to get more and more little by the year), you're not going to get anywhere.
:up:

though as others have said, i'm not sure what could be done to "fix" it. i even thought what if the lists were submitted anonymously, but to be honest, everyone's going to know whose list it is unless they're a di newbie. once you see duran duran and tim finn, you're gonna know it's mine whether my name's attached to it or not. :tongue:

though as others have said, i'm not sure what could be done to "fix" it. i even thought what if the lists were submitted anonymously, but to be honest, everyone's going to know whose list it is unless they're a di newbie. once you see duran duran and tim finn, you're gonna know it's mine whether my name's attached to it or not. :tongue:

Do you like the idea I proposed earlier?

I pulled up the voting records of the tourney and there have been some one-off votes, but that's about it.

and then of course, if people see tracks they don't know it's on to the next list of u2, passengers, bowie and other b&c bands of the moment.

we could just accept this and go straight to full competition and you can't vote unless there's no bullshit proof you've heard both lists you're about to vote on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom