Desert Island Part Deux?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Would anyone else be up for another one of these?

I had a really fun time doing it and got to hear some great new music, and I'm sure a lot of other people did too.

It's all up to the Axver and liamcool since this is their baby, but I'll be willing to do anything to help.

And if we do make another competition, does anyone have any suggestions to make it better?

I'd be quite happy to participate, but I'm not sure if I'd want to run it again. I've got quite a busy month approaching and I can't guarantee that I will have the time to organise the competition.

I imagine a lot of the same people will participate the second time around, so maybe we should adjust the theme a little? Or at least make it that if you participated last time, you have to use entirely different material this time around?

hmmm... I absolutely loved doing this last time :)

Maybe we could limit it to one disc or a certain number of songs (10, 15,??)

And I like Axver's suggestion that we use different material :up:

Perhaps people who didn't get to participate last time get first dibs on slots?

Edit: And maybe we can limit it to a specific time period?

Last edited:
Axver, that's a great idea. I'm making a playlist right now with about 90% different material.

Hippy, I like the "first dibs" deal but the Defending Desert Island Champ has to get dibs on a spot, too. :wink:

Maybe extend the number of participants from 16 to 24 and do the refined time scheme that we used towards the end of the tourney?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

LMP, if you want to run it yourself, I'd be cool with that.

If we have enough interest to expand the tournament, that'd be cool. Maybe we should also have a repechage for those who lose in the first round so that all the effort that goes into making and uploading a mix isn't for nothing?

This time, I'll try to make a list that's more likeable to Interference. That'll be tough. And I think limiting things to just one 80 minute CD could make it even more of a challenge for most people.

Oh, and here's an idea for another rule: only one song per artist is allowed. That could make things really interesting for some of us.

OK, the more I think about this, the more I feel two CDs is probably essential, especially for those of us with decent sized music collections. It's one thing to create a challenge; it's quite another to make it overly difficult, and I think lowering things to just one CD does that. Maybe we should make it "iPod playlists" rather than CDs though, so that we don't have to deal with the annoying break in CDs?

I've got a great tracklisting under way here. I'm determined not to crash and burn miserably like I did last time, so I'm discarding much of the unpopular prog and metal and bringing in some other personal favourites that may go down better with this forum.

Screwtape2 said:
:ohmy: MUST participate.

I'll be looking forward to your compilation.

So, thus far, it appears we have the following participants:

1. LMP
2. hippy
3. Axver
4. liamcool
5. Screwtape2

And we've no clear decision on who in fact will run it, except that I'm cool if LMP takes over from me. I'd be happy to help out in running it, but I just can't guarantee that I will be able to do everything in a timely manner.

At this stage, I think the best idea is to switch to "iPod tracklistings" instead of two CDs but stick with the same length (so 2 hours 40 minutes of music maximum), no band may be repeated, and if you competed last time, you may not use the same songs you used before - so you can use a band you used before, but it has to be a different song by that band.

How does this sound so far?

liamcool said:

Go listen to Porcupine Tree, you Steven Wilson suck up.

I'd rather go listen to Blackfield, IEM, or No-Man right now! :mad: :wink:

Axver said:
I've got a great tracklisting under way here. I'm determined not to crash and burn miserably like I did last time, so I'm discarding much of the unpopular prog and metal and bringing in some other personal favourites that may go down better with this forum.

I'll be looking forward to your compilation.

So, thus far, it appears we have the following participants:

1. LMP
2. hippy
3. Axver
4. liamcool
5. Screwtape2

And we've no clear decision on who in fact will run it, except that I'm cool if LMP takes over from me. I'd be happy to help out in running it, but I just can't guarantee that I will be able to do everything in a timely manner.

At this stage, I think the best idea is to switch to "iPod tracklistings" instead of two CDs but stick with the same length (so 2 hours 40 minutes of music maximum), no band may be repeated, and if you competed last time, you may not use the same songs you used before - so you can use a band you used before, but it has to be a different song by that band.

How does this sound so far?

Sounds cool! Can i also participate?I loved this comp!:happy:

I will do a combined effort with Lara Mullen if that's okay.

which will basically mean we'll be doing a disk each
(I know this doesn't meet the iPod setlist procedure, but it makes for a far more interesting collection of music)

:up:

I'll actually participate in this one. I promice. :wink: Someone let me know exactly what the rules are though so I don't fuck up.

I have all the songs I want selected and itunes tells me it's 2.7 hours long. Is that acceptable, or do i have to chop off a couple more songs?

Putting them in a supremely badass order is going to be incredibly difficult. :|

I'd like to participate in this since I believe I missed it on the first go-around.

It'd be great if someone could refresh me on the rules, though. :wink:

Ok, maybe it wasn't as hard as I thought. My playlist fucking rocks. So how does this competition work?

Lancemc said:
I have all the songs I want selected and itunes tells me it's 2.7 hours long. Is that acceptable, or do i have to chop off a couple more songs?

Can you convert that to minutes? My iTunes says my compilation is 2.6 hours = 2 hours 39 minutes 22 seconds. The absolute maximum at this stage is 2 hours 40 minutes 0 seconds.

Once we get the rules fully hammered out and we decide who's running this, we'll make a proper sign-up thread, but everyone who throws their name in now will be automatically included in that.

Here's my current proposals to amend the rules:

1. 1 song per artist. That's it. If you want to include a song by an artist that is split into multiple tracks (e.g. it's from the days of vinyl and the full song would not fit on the record), talk to us and we might make an exception if it can be established that it is one continuous song.
2. Choose your media format, just make sure it's no longer than 2:40:00. If you want to stick with the 2 CDs idea of the original contest, go ahead. If you'd prefer an "iPod tracklisting" (basically, 2 hours 40 without the CD split), go ahead. If you want to use some other media format, go ahead. After all, you're the one bringing the music to our desert island.
3. If you competed last time, you may not use any songs you used last time. Repeating artists is cool; repeating songs is not.

How do you guys feel about that? Go with those rules, change and improve them, ditch them?

I like those rules, and I'll have to count up my minutes exactly to meet the mark. I may have to drop a song or two afterall, which is no biggy.

And I have a question regarding the multiple tracks issue. Can I email you to talk about some specifics?

Lancemc said:
I like those rules, and I'll have to count up my minutes exactly to meet the mark. I may have to drop a song or two afterall, which is no biggy.

What music program are you using? iTunes can give you the exact time, and I'm pretty sure WinAmp does too.

And I have a question regarding the multiple tracks issue. Can I email you to talk about some specifics?

Sure, amakaxver[at]gmail.com

I think rule #3 is rubbish. A song that was desert island material last time may damn well still be desert island material this time.

I don't even know if I'm going to participate, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom