Desert Island Part Deux? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
That's an interesting idea, Screwtape. I'm not sure if it would work, if we'd be able to find a convenient way to group the compilations, but it could make things a bit more interesting and avoid a couple of unfortunate match-ups that we had last time.
Okay, what about this. We have everyone involved fill out a couple questions like:

What are the main three genres represented?
What is the overall mood, if any?
Is most of the playlist: loud, soft or in between?
What five adjectives would best describe the playlist?

They could send their answers with their playlists. This would naturally separate the playlists in different categories.

Would that work?

Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #62
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Last time around, we had two CDs perfectly timed at 80:00. Can anyone here get something in at 2:40:00 exactly this time?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #63
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Last time around, we had two CDs perfectly timed at 80:00. Can anyone here get something in at 2:40:00 exactly this time?
i'll certainly try to see if i can do that!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #64
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Okay, what about this. We have everyone involved fill out a couple questions like:

What are the main three genres represented?
What is the overall mood, if any?
Is most of the playlist: loud, soft or in between?
What five adjectives would best describe the playlist?

They could send their answers with their playlists. This would naturally separate the playlists in different categories.

Would that work?
Hmm, I like the idea, but I fear it may be a bit too difficult, especially if we end up having an abundance of compilations of one particular type, and organising them would be especially hard with the repechage idea. Sticking with just randomly drawing names makes things easier.

I'd like to know what other people think about this though, as I don't want to discard it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I think if a couple people come up with ideas on how to divide them it could work. Say, you, LMP and I. I mean three people might have three different ideas on where to put things. I don't know, just wanted to add that.

By the way, if we go through with my idea it might make the matchups a little more fair and might remove the need for the repechages. I'll leave it up to you and everyone else.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #66
Vocal parasite

Hmm. In some ways, having like tracklisting vs like tracklisting might actually be better, in that the tracklistings will be competing on an equal footing and it will be a case of "who can make a better upbeat epic prog compilation?" instead of something bizarre like brutal death metal vs folk.

I'm still not sure quite what direction I want to go with. I'm no help. I do want to stick with repechages though, because if you put in effort and get kicked out immediately, it is nice to have a second chance to possibly get yourself back in the game.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Why not have similiar albums compete in the qualifying rounds then go with my plan for the tourney itself? It's the best of both worlds. The top two of each group get in intially.

For example:
Group One #1 vs. #4 (QR 1)
Group One #2 vs. #3 (QR 2)

The winners go into the tourney drawing while the losers go into the outside bracket drawing.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

You could categorize the compilations based on the decade the bulk of the music on each compilation came from. Then you could have 60s-heavy comps, 70s-heavy comps, 80s-heavy comps, 90s-heavy comps, etc.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
You could categorize the compilations based on the decade the bulk of the music on each compilation came from. Then you could have 60s-heavy comps, 70s-heavy comps, 80s-heavy comps, 90s-heavy comps, etc.
Hehe, that totally wouldn't work with my list. I like screwtape's idea though. If someone wants to do all the work needed to make those kinds of matching decisions, it might work. Would sure be difficult though.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #70
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I actually did, not kidding.

I think it should be divided between genres too, or just similarities.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #71
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Why not have similiar albums compete in the qualifying rounds then go with my plan for the tourney itself? It's the best of both worlds. The top two of each group get in intially.

For example:
Group One #1 vs. #4 (QR 1)
Group One #2 vs. #3 (QR 2)

The winners go into the tourney drawing while the losers go into the outside bracket drawing.
I fear this is going to become too much work. I'm getting confused! Would you be able to do a diagram at all of what you think would be best?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #72
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I actually did, not kidding.
You'll probably win again too, you prick.

I think that if we do divide this up by genres/similarities, we shouldn't really go by dominant decade. I mean, a nineties-heavy compilation by me will sound nothing like one by, say, namkcuR or Brau. I don't believe in grouping music by decades. To me, the 90s and 00s especially have blurred into each other.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #73
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe it would be best to pick at random again?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

To me, the 90s and 00s especially have blurred into each other.
I couldn't disagree more; The 90s was dominated by darker(both in image and in musical and lyrical style), more introspective bands - Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins/Nine Inch Nails/Radiohead/Rage Against The Machine/90s U2/90s R.E.M./BloodSugarSexMagic-One Hot Minute-era RHCP/Jane's Addiction/"Load" era Metallica/Bush/Weezer/Foo Fighters/Marlyn Manson/etc - while the 00s have been dominated by teen-pop - Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, etc - lighter(in comparison to the 90s bands I listed) rock - The Killers, Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Maroon 5, etc - American Idol winners, and Hip-hop.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #75
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I couldn't disagree more; The 90s was dominated by darker(both in image and in musical and lyrical style), more introspective bands - Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins/Nine Inch Nails/Radiohead/Rage Against The Machine/90s U2/90s R.E.M./BloodSugarSexMagic-One Hot Minute-era RHCP/Jane's Addiction/"Load" era Metallica/Bush/Weezer/Foo Fighters/Marlyn Manson/etc - while the 00s have been dominated by teen-pop - Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, etc - lighter(in comparison to the 90s bands I listed) rock - The Killers, Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Maroon 5, etc - American Idol winners, and Hip-hop.
I tend to think of that teen-pop stuff as being second half of the nineties. That's when crap like the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears hit their peak.

This does go to show how little attention I pay to the mainstream though. Because it was in the late eighties and early nineties that really exciting stuff started to happen: progressive rock was revived, Dream Theater's Images And Words album in 1992 essentially spawned progressive metal, and various styles of metal were fully fleshed out, e.g. doom metal, death metal, and black metal. Since then, the genres have been evolving. Neo-prog rock has developed, pursuing the lighter side of things, while progressive death metal has been developed on the heavier side. When I think of who was great in the late nineties and who's great now, it's often a lot of the same bands, e.g. Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth, Agalloch.

So that's my perspective on things.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
desert island