Desert Island Part Deux? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #31
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:35 PM
i'll play

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I think rule #3 is rubbish. A song that was desert island material last time may damn well still be desert island material this time.
ooh, it would be awesome if i could put unreleased songs on my thing

Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #32
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I think rule #3 is rubbish. A song that was desert island material last time may damn well still be desert island material this time.

I don't even know if I'm going to participate, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.
Sure, it may be desert island material, but this is a different contest and using different material keeps it more interesting.

Plus, that rule gives preference to those who have not competed before, which I think is good. We want to let as many new people as possible compete.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #33
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
ooh, it would be awesome if i could put unreleased songs on my thing
The rule is that a song has to be officially released in some capacity for it to be included. It's a pretty lenient rule: a song only ever played live would be permitted if it were included on an official live release, and something like U2's The Fool would be permitted due to its iTunes release. However, U2 songs like My Time Hasn't Come or Mercy would be ruled out due to the lack of an official release. I hope no-one uses Wild Irish Rose, because that one could be tricky.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
The rule is that a song has to be officially released in some capacity for it to be included. It's a pretty lenient rule: a song only ever played live would be permitted if it were included on an official live release, and something like U2's The Fool would be permitted due to its iTunes release. However, U2 songs like My Time Hasn't Come or Mercy would be ruled out due to the lack of an official release. I hope no-one uses Wild Irish Rose, because that one could be tricky.
yeah, that's fine with me. and you wouldn't have had to worry about me using mercy anyway. i'm not trying to drive everyone on the desert island to commit suicide

i'll start working on my compilation tonight
Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #35
Vocal parasite

Quote:
yeah, that's fine with me. and you wouldn't have had to worry about me using mercy anyway. i'm not trying to drive everyone on the desert island to commit suicide

I'm a bit concerned though, last.fm appears to indicate you've been playing U218.

Quote:
i'll start working on my compilation tonight
I've already made mine.

Though its tracklisting is shit, so I'm working on improving the flow now. Making mixes is too much fun.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #36
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

I'm a bit concerned though, last.fm appears to indicate you've been playing U218.
it was the first time i'd listened to the cd and i found it rather disappointing to be honest

Quote:
I've already made mine.

Though its tracklisting is shit, so I'm working on improving the flow now. Making mixes is too much fun.
yeah, i love making them as well. sticking to one song per artist will be hard, but i love a challenge
Old 01-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

Quote:

it was the first time i'd listened to the cd and i found it rather disappointing to be honest
You should see how badly I slagged it off over on RateYourMusic.com

(Go to http://rateyourmusic.com/~Axver and scroll down to below my personal details to where it has 'recent', 'ratings', 'collection', 'reviews'. Click 'reviews' and it's the most recent one there.)

Quote:
yeah, i love making them as well. sticking to one song per artist will be hard, but i love a challenge
I expected it to be harder than it was. I set myself some criteria to make selections easier and it gave me a tracklisting almost perfectly within the time limit! I didn't need to cut anything (though I did replace a few songs as the original selections didn't work).

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
You should see how badly I slagged it off over on RateYourMusic.com

(Go to http://rateyourmusic.com/~Axver and scroll down to below my personal details to where it has 'recent', 'ratings', 'collection', 'reviews'. Click 'reviews' and it's the most recent one there.)
wow, harsh! oh well, imo it's deserved.

Quote:
I expected it to be harder than it was. I set myself some criteria to make selections easier and it gave me a tracklisting almost perfectly within the time limit! I didn't need to cut anything (though I did replace a few songs as the original selections didn't work).
yeah, i'm trying to decide if i want to do a theme or what.

i could be really uncreative and just pick my most played songs by each artist!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #39
Vocal parasite

Quote:

wow, harsh! oh well, imo it's deserved.
And I thought I was being polite.

Quote:
yeah, i'm trying to decide if i want to do a theme or what.

i could be really uncreative and just pick my most played songs by each artist!
Haha, that would just be lazy!

I suppose I made life easier for myself by setting one rule: "no half hour long prog epics!"

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:35 PM
I want to play!!!!!

I didn't participate last time, but I followed the whole damn tournament!

Someone e-mail the official rules (once they're decided) and the cut off dates, etc.

joshuatreebaby@yahoo.com
Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #41
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I like those rules, and I'll have to count up my minutes exactly to meet the mark. I may have to drop a song or two afterall, which is no biggy.

And I have a question regarding the multiple tracks issue. Can I email you to talk about some specifics?
if you have iTunes, click where it says 2.6 hours and it will change to the 2:00:00 format.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #42
Vocal parasite

OK, who's going to run this? I think it'd be helpful to sort that out. I've thought about it and I'd be happy to do it on two conditions:

1. I have a backup in case I do end up having a day where I have no Internet access and can't start the next round.
2. EVERYBODY FOLLOWS THE RULES! I can't emphasise that enough. Last time, I had to go through and fix the formatting of some submissions. This time, I won't have the time for that. Plus, it was boring as hell and I don't really intend to do it again anyway.

But LMP, do you want to do it?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:35 PM
I have just three questions:

1. Are we judged by the total presentation (mood, flow, theme, etc.) or by the song choices?

2. Can I title my playlist?

3. Does anyone have links to some of the threads from actual tourney?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I have just three questions:

1. Are we judged by the total presentation (mood, flow, theme, etc.) or by the song choices?

2. Can I title my playlist?

3. Does anyone have links to some of the threads from actual tourney?
1. It's however the voters choose to judge it. In my entry for the first competition, I tried to find a good balance between quality songs and cohesive flow.

2. Sure, go ahead.

3. Here they are: http://forum.interference.com/search...by=&sortorder=

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #45
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
OK, who's going to run this? I think it'd be helpful to sort that out. I've thought about it and I'd be happy to do it on two conditions:

1. I have a backup in case I do end up having a day where I have no Internet access and can't start the next round.
2. EVERYBODY FOLLOWS THE RULES! I can't emphasise that enough. Last time, I had to go through and fix the formatting of some submissions. This time, I won't have the time for that. Plus, it was boring as hell and I don't really intend to do it again anyway.

But LMP, do you want to do it?
I'll do it, only if you don't want to.

What do I need to do?

Tags
desert island