Desert Island IX: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the final list, all typed up in correct format. :wink: Still have to do title, artwork etc.

You know, this exercise was fun but at some point I got sick of listening to these songs and the transitions. :crack: Did that happen to any of you guys? The thing is, you don't want to spend too little time and send in a half-assed entry. But you also don't want to spend too much time and wear yourself out!

Also, do I need to create a zip file or can I just upload all song files together to the same link on mediafire? Haven't used mediafire or any of those sites in ages!

See, if you were bigger on hardcore, 50 songs would barely top an hour.

Mine is only partially done. When do you want this thing by?

I'm finally done. Cover art and all. Will upload and send to LM later today.

Also, do I need to create a zip file or can I just upload all song files together to the same link on mediafire? Haven't used mediafire or any of those sites in ages!

Zip file is the way to go.

Mine is only partially done. When do you want this thing by?

Wednesday was the original deadline, but a bunch of people joined late, so don't worry about the deadline too much.

Forgive me for this noob question, but how do you export an iTunes playlist so that it comes out in a legible fashion? I tried two different text formats but when I open the saved file in Text Edit it looks like a big mess.

Or do people just manually type out the track listing in Word or something?

Forgive me for this noob question, but how do you export an iTunes playlist so that it comes out in a legible fashion? I tried two different text formats but when I open the saved file in Text Edit it looks like a big mess.

Or do people just manually type out the track listing in Word or something?

Just arrange the columns in the order you need (remove the unnecessary ones like play count), select all songs in the playlist, command + c to copy and paste special (match destination formatting) in text edit. You then only need to make small adjustments like adding spaces and symbols.

Thanks.

Also, any recommendations for how to arrange before zipping? Apparently I can export the playlist to an .m3u that will allow people to just drop that into iTunes and have the songs imported and arranged in the correct order.

I just make copies of all the songs and re-enter all the information. Disc 1 of 1 for everything, type out new track numbers to match the Desert Island playlist, change the album to match the title, genre to Desert Island, then I change the album art to my cover art that I've made for it. That might be going above and beyond, but it makes it easy for the recipients that use iTunes.

I just make copies of all the songs and re-enter all the information. Disc 1 of 1 for everything, type out new track numbers to match the Desert Island playlist, change the album to match the title, genre to Desert Island, then I change the album art to my cover art that I've made for it. That might be going above and beyond, but it makes it easy for the recipients that use iTunes.

This is what I do as well. I don't want there to be any chance of people needing to reorder the playlist once they download it.

I think you should be able to reinstall it. I didn't know it could actually expire. It always says it will but it never happens.

Just sent mine. The last part of work is definitely the most tedious.

Ok I'm a little confused here. Changing the album information on the iTunes playlist doesn't alter the actual _mp3 file. If I change the album name, it's still going to be found in the same folder of the original album title on my hard drive, inside that artist's folder.

As I said, if I include an .m3u file, all the listener has to do is drop that into iTunes and it will assemble the various tracks into the appropriate order.

You can also just change it in the .mp3 file of each song. That's what I did anyway.

Hahaha

Guys, my winzip evaluation version is finished. :| It is asking me to buy. Maybe I can uninstall and then re-install it? Otherwise I don't know what to do.

Dude, WinZip is on some Milhouse shit. Just ignore that message and it won't put up a fight.

Dude, WinZip is on some Milhouse shit. Just ignore that message and it won't put up a fight.

No it actually got to that point on my computer where it would not work unless I bought it. :wink: So I just uninstalled that shit and re-installed the latest version. Now it is back to giving me evaluation versions and stuff. :cute:

Okay, I was going to make a zip file of all the original song files from each originating album. Is that not how everyone is doing it? Are you all going to create a separate album like the tourist is doing? If so, how the heck do you make a duplicate copy of a song on itunes? Muchos gracias for the help.

I at least would really appreciate it if the playlists were in their intended order rather than just the constituent songs thrown into a zip file. Reorganizing them once they are unzipped can be a huge pain in the ass.

Ok I'm a little confused here. Changing the album information on the iTunes playlist doesn't alter the actual _mp3 file. If I change the album name, it's still going to be found in the same folder of the original album title on my hard drive, inside that artist's folder.

As I said, if I include an .m3u file, all the listener has to do is drop that into iTunes and it will assemble the various tracks into the appropriate order.

After changing all the titles, I drag all the songs into winrar folders. It doesn't matter what the mp3 files themselves are named. As long as the iTunes information is correctly entered, it will re-enter others' iTunes with the updated information.

Okay, I was going to make a zip file of all the original song files from each originating album. Is that not how everyone is doing it? Are you all going to create a separate album like the tourist is doing? If so, how the heck do you make a duplicate copy of a song on itunes? Muchos gracias for the help.

Right click. Create mp3 version. Unless you have a Mac. Then I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom