Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 5, Match 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Axver

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Lancemc

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third match of the fifth round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

The winner of last round's seventh match was Irishteen/Lemonchick, who defeated Zootlesque, 12-6.

Match 3 of Round 5 is Axver vs. Lancemc. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: Axver

SO THIS IS PERMANENCE

This tracklist aims to create an artistic sketch of life's dark and bleak undercurrents. It exists in the shadows and on the margins. It is not designed to engage or to attract, but to create a desolate aesthetic through the use of various stylistic representations of the mournful, melancholic, and despondent facets of existence. It loosely traces a mental progression into an unfathomable abyss. It opens with the realisation of life's fleeting worthlessness and a lament for things of meaning that have been lost - bridges burnt, love interests extinguished, friends neglected, and family abandoned. It proceeds to grapple for hope, for resurrection, and to rekindle the fires that sustained a naive and youthful charade of meaningfulness. The fire merely consumes the dreams. There is nothing left but despair - no escape, whether through the natural, the intellectual, the hallucinogenic, or even death. Death is as futile as life. This leads to the final realisation - that it is not so much staying alive but staying human that is important. And by this point, humanity is lost forever in the abyss.

These are the shadows that gnaw upon existence.

More details: http://axver.livejournal.com/401691.html#cutid1

1. Pink Floyd - "Time" - Dark Side Of The Moon (7:06)
2. God Is An Astronaut - "Suicide By Star" - All Is Violent, All Is Bright (4:38)
3. The Triffids - "The Seabirds" - Born Sandy Devotional (3:20)
4. Blackfield - "End Of The World" - Blackfield II (5:13)
5. Riverside - "Out Of Myself" - Out Of Myself (3:44)
6. The Terminals - "Uncoffined" - Cul-De-Sac (3:54)
7. Subterranean Masquerade - "No Place Like Home" - Suspended Animation Dreams (7:59)
8. Marillion - "Jigsaw" - Fugazi (6:49)
9. Green Carnation - "The Burden Is Mine ... Alone" - The Acoustic Verses (3:15)
10. U2 - "Wake Up Dead Man" - Pop (4:52)
11. Able Tasmans - "The Theory Of Continual Disappointment" - Hey, Spinner! (5:12)
12. Martin Phillipps - "Small Spark" - Sketch Book Volume 1 (4:24)
13. The Sisters Of Mercy - "Some Kind Of Stranger" - First And Last And Always (7:16)
14. Ride - "Dreams Burn Down" - Nowhere (6:06)
15. Joy Division - "Twenty Four Hours" - Closer (4:26)
16. Russian Circles - "You Already Did" - Enter (8:14)
17. The Sea, Like Lead - "Anticline/Syncline" - EP Split with Belegost (7:00)
18. Anathema - "Empty" - Alternative 4 (3:00)
19. Agalloch - "I Am The Wooden Doors" - The Mantle (6:11)
20. Arcturus - "Nightmare Heaven" - The Sham Mirrors (6:05)
21. Jesu - "Friends Are Evil" - Jesu (9:43)
22. Long Distance Calling - "The Very Last Day" - DMNSTRTN (11:05)
23. Sculptured - "Our Illuminated Tomb" - The Spear Of The Lily Is Aureoled (7:25)
24. The Cure - "Untitled" - Disintegration (6:26)
25. Porcupine Tree - "Collapse The Light Into Earth" - In Absentia (5:54)

Total length: 2:29:17

Forum name: Lancemc

INTERGALACTIC PLEASURE CRUISE

Intergalactic Pleasure Cruise is the next logical evolution of my Desert Island ideology. In a series of small journeys between the realm of the art, the popular, and the media rich crossroads that house their intersections, I offer a perhaps slightly-deeper-than-superficial examination of the harmonies, melodies, rhythms and associations of such that continue to grow and define my own persona. Classic heroic composers, 20th century poet philosophers, post-modern electronic deconstructions, comic-book swatches of cinematic panache… now firing stage-2 rocket clusters, steer clear of the black hole.

Part I: Thrust Into The Infinite

1. Richard Wagner – “Vorspiel” – Das Rheingold (Scene 1 and 2) (4:13)
2. LCD Soundsystem – “Losing My Edge” – LCD Soundsystem (7:53)
3. Wilco – “Far, Far Away” – Being There (3:20)
4. Sufjan Stevens – “Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie” – Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State (2:54)
5. Neutral Milk Hotel – “Ghost” – In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (4:09)
6. !!! – “Must Be The Moon” – Myth Takes (5:58)
7. John Williams – “The Planet Krypton” – Superman: The Movie (6:40)
8. Gustav Holst – “The Planets, Op. 32: V. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age” – Holst: The Planets (7:45)
9. Panda Bear – “Search For Delicious” – Person Pitch (4:53)
10. Passengers – “Beach Sequence” – Original Sountracks 1 (3:32)
11. Bjork – “Alarm Call” – Homorgenic (4:20)
12. Radiohead – “Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner) – Hail To The Thief (3:53)
13. Jim O’Rourke – “Bad Timing” – Bad Timing (10:00)
14. Bob Dylan – “Visions of Johanna” – Blonde on Blonde (7:33)
15. My Bloody Valentine – “No More Sorry” – Isn’t Anything (2:48)

Total Runtime: 79:44

Part II: Painless Reentry

1. Jonny Greenwood – “Oil” – There Will Be Blood (3:05)
2. Ludwig Van Beethoven – “Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op 68, ‘Pastoral’ – 2. Andante molto mosso” – Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 6 (12:42)
3. Patti Smith – “Birdland” – Horses (9:16)
4. Cat Power – “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again” – I’m Not There (6:54)
5. Xavier Cugat – “Perfidia” – 2046 (3:01)
6. Emmylou Harris - “Waltz Across Texas Tonight” – Wrecking Ball (4:46)
7. The Magnetic Fields – “I Don’t Believe You” – I (3:42)
8. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – “Piano Concerto No. 21 – 2 Movement” – The Essential Mozart (7:22)
9. Brian Eno – “Three Variations On The Canon In D Major: (ii) French Catalogues” – Discreet Music (5:18)
10. Iron & Wine – “Upward Over The Mountain” – The Creek Drank the Cradle (5:56)
11. Dmitri Shostakovich – “Jazz Suite No. 2: 6. Waltz II” - Shostakovich: the Jazz Album (3:46)
12. Talking Heads – “Seen And Not Seen” – Remain In Light (3:25)
13. Sigur Ros – “Staralfur” – Agaetis Byrjun (6:45)
14. Johann Sebastian Bach – “Cello Suite No. 1 in G, 4. Sarabande” – Bach (JS) Cello Suites (2:56)

Total Runtime: 78:47

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom