Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 4, Match 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most

• KhanadaRhodes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • phillyfan26

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second match of the fourth round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

Back in Match 6 of the last round, the tourist won his second in a row, defeating DaveC, 11-6.

KhanadaRhodes and phillyfan26 square off in a pivotal match here. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: KhanadaRhodes

I Want To Be With You Baby

1. Crowded House - "Kare Kare" - Together Alone (3:36)
2. INXS - "The Stairs" - X (4:57)
3. Tears For Fears - "Pale Shelter" - The Hurting (4:34)
4. Annie Lennox - "Cold" - Diva (4:22)
5. Roxy Music - "Avalon" - Avalon (4:17)
6. Echo and the Bunnymen - "Seven Seas" - Ocean Rain (3:21)
7. Duran Duran - "Land" - Big Thing (6:12)
8. VHS Or Beta - "The Ocean" - Night on Fire (4:37)
9. Tim Finn - "In A Minor Key" - Escapade (3:47)
10. Japan - "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" - Gentlemen Take Polaroids (7:09)
11. Depeche Mode - "In Your Room" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (6:23)
12. Sting - "They Dance Alone (Ceuca Solo)" - ...Nothing Like The Sun (7:16)
13. Spice Girls - "Viva Forever" - Spiceworld (5:11)
14. U2 - "October" - October (2:21)
15. Split Enz - "Albert of India" - Waiata (4:24)
16. Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (3:13)

Total runtime: 1:15:30

Now I'm Destroyed

1. New Order - "Temptation" - 24 Hour Party People Soundtrack (5:44)
2. Bryan Ferry - "Windswept" - Boys and Girls (4:34)
3. Kate Bush - "Feel It" - The Kick Inside (3:03)
4. Emma Bunton - "You Are" - Free Me (3:48)
5. Erasure - "Chains of Love" - The Innocents (3:44)
6. Fiona Apple - "To Your Love" - When The Pawn... (3:41)
7. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Heart and Soul Two (3:27)
8. Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way" - Rumours (3:40)
9. The Rolling Stones - "Angie" - Goat's Head Soup (4:32)
10. Pet Shop Boys - "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" - Actually (4:23)
11. Phil Collins - "Against All Odds" - Hits (3:25)
12. Liam Finn - "Remember When" - I'll Be Lightning (3:01)
13. The Police - "Every Breath You Take" - Synchronicity (4:14)
14. The Rembrandts - "That's Just The Way It Is, Baby" - The Rembrandts (4:08)
15. David Sylvian - "Some Kind of Fool" - Everything and Nothing (7:31)
16. Arcadia - "Goodbye Is Forever" - Goodbye Is Forever (4:05)
17. Wham! - "Careless Whisper" - Make It Big! (6:33)
18. Stimulator - "My Beautiful Muse" - Stimulator (3:25)

Total runtime: 1:16:50

Forum name: phillyfan26

Left Looking For More

My playlist is a two disc, four sided concept album. The title is "Left Looking For More," describing the ultimate feelings of the unnamed main character by the end of the playlist. The first disc is titled "Electrically Numb," a title stolen from a song I wrote. Disc 2 is titled "Fall of a Dreamer," which indirectly refers to the first track of that disc.

My first and only request to the listener is to please not factor in the fact that it is shorter than the maximum time. Being a concept album more than anything, I did not want to add "filler" to meet these requirements if it meant destroying the concept and flow.

The main character is introduced in his mid-20s, after having already fallen into the world of drug use. The first disc displays how numb he can feel due to his habits, no matter what is happening around him. He witnesses some large events in his life during this time, and cannot properly react. After using some dirtier drugs downtown and getting ill, he swears off drugs for good. However, we pick up ten years later at age 35, and nothing has changed for him. He has now settled into a belief that his drug habits cannot be changed, despite attempts to help him from friends and family. He begins hallucinating, seeing a media controlled government, and becomes detached and disillusioned from his middle-class life as a husband and father. As the first disc ends, he remembers his youth, prior to his drug use, and begs for it to return.

In the second disc, the character has had an intervention in one of his visions, in which he believes the world can live in peace. He drops his drug habits cold turkey and begins to seek peace and harmony through other means. However, he abandons his job and family in order to search for a natural high to replace his drugs. He spends a while searching, and finds himself involved in a number of brief love affairs. None of those can replace the feeling of the drugs, however. After one of the love affairs ends poorly, he moves in with his sister and falls into alcoholism. After a brief period of total isolation, he finds his last refuge in religion. He devotes himself to working at a local church. However, he finds that the more he learns about religion, the more he realizes that his church is a corrupt body. He loses all faith that humanity has goodness, and then believes all humans are doomed to hell. He continually thinks over this mystery, and for a brief time believes that he himself is destined for heaven for "figuring out" the mystery. But his satisfaction ceases, and he slowly loses faith in any meaning for life. His last years fade, and he miserably realizes that he never accomplished anything and never found his desired inner peace. At his death, he is merely left looking for more.

DISC 1: Electrically Numb

SIDE A

David Bowie – "Station to Station" – Station to Station (10:12)
John Frusciante – "Carvel" – Shadows Collide With People (6:14)
The Beatles – "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (3:28)
Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Under the Bridge" – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (4:24)
Led Zeppelin – "Ten Years Gone" – Latter Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 2 (6:32)
Streetlight Manifesto – "Down, Down, Down to Mehphisto's Café" – Somewhere in the Between (5:03)
The Who – "Won't Get Fooled Again" – Who's Next (8:32)

SIDE B

U2 – "Zooropa" – Zooropa (6:31)
The Police – "Synchronicity II" – Synchronicity (Remastered) (5:00)
The Killers – "When You Were Young" – Sam's Town (3:42)
Franz Ferdinand – "Come on Home" – Franz Ferdinand (Special Edition) (3:46)

Disc 1 Runtime: 63:24

DISC 2: Fall of a Dreamer

SIDE A

John Lennon – "Imagine" – Imagine (Remastered) (3:04)
JET – "Look What You've Done" – Get Born (3:50)
Paul McCartney – "Maybe I'm Amazed" – McCartney (Remastered) (3:53)
Elton John – "Tiny Dancer" – Elton John: The Greatest Hits of 1970-2002 (6:17)
Oasis – "Wonderwall" – (What's the Story?) Morning Glory (4:18)
Sting – "Desert Rose" – Brand New Day (4:45)

SIDE B

Billy Joel – "Captain Jack" – Piano Man (7:18)
Arcade Fire – "Intervention" – Neon Bible (4:19)
Bruce Springsteen – "Devil's Arcade" – Magic (5:20)
Bob Dylan – "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" – Biograph (2:32)
The Edge – "Rowena's Theme" – Captive – 3:56
Explosions in the Sky – "The Birth and Death of the Day" – All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone – 7:49

Disc 2 Runtime: 57:21

TOTAL RUNTIME: 2:00:45

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
khan's is really well put together but most of it just isn't my taste

philly's is full of great songs, even if some of them are a bit overdone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom