Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 3, Match 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most

• LemonMelon

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Zootlesque

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the eighth and final match of the third round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

The fourth match of Round 3 had PlaTheGreat/the rockin edge roll to their second straight win, easily winning 16-7 over Lancemc.

Our final match for Round 3 is LemonMelon squaring off against zootlesque in a battle for a first win. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: LemonMelon

The mid-life crisis is a topic that has been well-trodden within popular culture. Whether it be films like American Beauty or even in children's cartoons, age is always important issue. For some, aging is a horrifying experience, and for others it's simply taken in stride. In this playlist, the protagonist has pressed down the majority of these fears, but they pop up in a single night via a lengthy dream detailing his first summer after graduating high school; a period that is both giddy and terrifying. Starting out as a welcome shot of freedom from the daily grind he faces in his adult life, the dream gradually becomes more alienating and heartbreaking. Things turn around at the end when he gets his perspective straight, but not before learning some hard lessons that could have been easily avoided. Musically, the set is mammoth, featuring 44 songs of varying genres and time periods. These work together to tell the tale and create an atmosphere. It was a great task to put all of this together, so I hope you receive a ton of enjoyment out of it. Please refer to the programme and track listing below to help you more closely follow the plot.

(Track 1) Act 1: Dawn begins silently following an evening of celebratory debauchery. He is asleep, she is awake, watching the sun rise. High school has ended, and they will soon be completely on their own, with summer pressing in. Will it be spent fortifying their futures, or in more frivolous ways? She decides the former, and he is ambivalent. She gets up and walks away, out of his life, without his knowledge. It will be a rough morning.

(Track 2) Act 2: He awakes, and finds her gone. He is numb at the moment, but it will sink in shortly.

(Tracks 3-4) Act 3: As the song playing in his head fades, he quickly decides to continue on rather than to examine the cause of his sorrow any further. He goes out to run some errands on a beautiful summer day, which makes this easy, but he still remembers the good times on the way.

(Tracks 5-8) Act 4: During his time out, he finds someone new. His pain is masked even further, and he continues on with his week as if nothing happened.

(Tracks 9-10) Act 5: They date for a short time, only to end in a depressing breakup.

(Tracks 11-16) Act 6: He is strong, however, and his friends rally around him to make this time easier.

(Tracks 17-18) Act 7: The sadness is now gone. He begins looking for love once more, but cautiously, refusing to settle down for any length of time. He can finally live…or so he thinks.

(Tracks 19-20) Act 8: He goes on his usual summer vacation, forgetting all of his problems.

(Tracks 21-23) Act 9: He falls in love while there, but it all ends too soon.

(Tracks 24-29) Act 10: When he arrives back home, he finds summer is drawing to a close faster than he expected, and responsibility will soon be no longer optional. He is alone, and his friends are now nowhere to be found. He reflects on this, and grows sadder and more self-destructive.

(Tracks 30-32) Act 11: But, in his moment of deepest sadness, he meets a woman that changes his life. He is in love once more, but he has changed; no longer will he take for granted what has fallen in his lap.

(Tracks 33-40) Act 12: He finds out that they are going to different schools, and will soon be separated. However, instead of letting this get him down, he elects to grin and bear it, looking for the silver lining.

(Tracks 41-43) Act 13: After much reflection, he finally is at peace with the situation. It is now autumn, and it is time for him to move on with his life.

(Track 44) Act 14: He wakes up and finds it was all a dream. It is winter, hardly the summer paradise he remembers from his youth, which he still pines for, as evidenced by the dream he just had, but it was a necessary bit of catharsis, and he now appreciates what he has more than ever.

1. The Moody Blues – “Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling” – Days Of Future Passed (3:49)
2. The Magic Numbers – “Mornings Eleven” – The Magic Numbers (5:32)
3. Prince – “Play In The Sunshine” – Sign O The Times (5:05)
4. XTC – “Grass” – Skylarking (3:06)
5. The Flaming Lips – “Buggin” – The Soft Bulletin (3:16)
6. The Velvet Underground – “Sweet Jane” – Loaded: Fully Loaded Edition (4:07)
7. Van Morrison – “Brown Eyed Girl” – Blowin’ Your Mind (3:03)
8. Supergrass – “Alright” – Supergrass Is 10: Best Of 1994-2004 (3:03)
9. Sly And The Family Stone – “Hot Fun In The Summertime” – The Essential Sly And The Family Stone (2:37)
10. Jimi Hendrix – “Wait Until Tomorrow” – Axis: Bold As Love (3:01)
11. Neil Young – “Cinnamon Girl” – Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (3:00)
12. Donovan – “Season Of The Witch” – Troubadour: The Definitive Collection, 1964-1976 (4:54)
13. The Smiths – “Cemetry Gates” – The Queen Is Dead (2:39)
14. Beck – “Jack-Ass” – Odelay (4:01)
15. The Shins – “One By One All Day” – Oh, Inverted World (4:08)
16. Led Zeppelin – “Dancing Days” – Houses Of The Holy (3:42)
17. Paul McCartney – “That Would Be Something” – McCartney (2:37)
18. De La Soul – “Eye Know” – 3 Feet High And Rising (4:12)
19. Weezer – “Surf Wax America” – Weezer (1994) (3:06)
20. The Streets – “Fit But You Know It” – A Grand Don’t Come For Free (4:10)
21. Stevie Wonder – “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing” – Innervisions (4:45)
22. The Pixies – “Here Comes Your Man” – Wave Of Mutilation: Best Of Pixies (3:21)
23. The Zombies – “Time Of The Season” – Odessey And Oracle (3:31)
24. R.E.M. – “Country Feedback” – Out Of Time (4:05)
25. U2 – “Staring At The Sun” – Pop (4:36)
26. Pink Floyd – “Summer ‘68” – Atom Heart Mother (5:29)
27. Mason Williams – “Classical Gas” – The Mason Williams Phonograph Record (3:03)
28. Love – “Alone Again Or” – Forever Changes (3:14)
29. Jefferson Airplane – “White Rabbit” – Hits (2:31)
30. Neil Diamond – “Sweet Caroline” – Gold (3:18)
31. Spoon – “You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb” – GaGaGaGaGa (3:08)
32. The Beach Boys – “All Summer Long” – The Greatest Hits Vol. 2: 20 More Good Vibrations (2:05)
33. Blur - “Badhead” - Parklife (3:25)
34. Radiohead - “All I Need” - In Rainbows (3:47)
35. No Doubt - “Simple Kind Of Life” - Return Of Saturn (4:16)
36. Bob Dylan - “You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go” - Blood On The Tracks (2:52)
37. The Kinks – “Big Sky” – Village Green Preservation Society (2:52)
38. The Beatles – “Rain” – Past Masters, Vol. II (3:01)
39. The Rolling Stones - "Love In Vain" - Let It Bleed (4:19)
40. The Who – “Love Ain’t For Keeping” – Who’s Next (2:10)
41. Oasis – “Who Feels Love?” – Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants (5:43)
42. Pulp – “The Trees” – We Love Life (4:47)
43. Al Stewart – “End Of The Day” – Time Passages (3:09)
44. The Mamas & The Papas – “California Dreamin” – Gold (2:39)

Total time: 159:31

Forum name: Zootlesque

Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. II

In hindsight, maybe I should have called this collection Melting Pot or something cos that’s what it really is. It’s all these different styles of music trying to co-exist in my brain. But in the end I couldn’t resist a bad George Michael pun. ;) My main focus was and has always been trying to get as many of my all-time favorite songs into one collection and making sure there is good musical flow. If you’re looking for a running theme you will not find it here. If I had started stressing over subject matter and theme, it might have taken me several days to finish this thing! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Oh and… don’t miss the surprise I have for you guys in the middle of the album. :shifty: Thanks for listening. :)

Soundgarden – “Superunknown” – Superunknown (5:06)
Porcupine Tree – “Shallow” – Deadwing (4:17)
Metallica – “Turn The Page” – Garage Inc. (6:08)
Eddie Vedder – “The Wolf” – Into The Wild (1:32)
R.E.M. – “Walk Unafraid” – Up (4:34)
U2 – “Deep In The Heart” – The Joshua Tree [Bonus Disc] (4:31)
Tom Petty – “A Face In The Crowd” – Full Moon Fever (3:59)
Bruce Springsteen – “Human Touch” – Greatest Hits (5:10)
Sting – “If I Ever Lose My Faith In You” – Fields Of Gold: The Best Of Sting 1984 – 1994
Toad The Wet Sprocket – “All I Want” – Fear (3:23)
Dionne Farris – “I Know” – Wild Seed Wild Flower (3:48)
Arrested Development – “Mr. Wendel” – 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days In The Life Of… (4:08)
Smashing Pumpkins – “1979” – Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (4:27)
Richard Marx – “Hazard” – Rush Street (5:19)
Neneh Cherry And Youssou N’Dour – “7 Seconds” – Man (5:07)
Genesis – “Land Of Confusion” – Turn It On Again (4:46)
Republica – “Ready To Go” – Republica (5:01)
Chris Rock – “Cheap Pete” – Roll With The New (2:52)
John Lennon – “Watching The Wheels” – Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon (3:31)
Arcade Fire – “Keep The Car Running” – Neon Bible (3:29)
Annie Lennox – “Little Bird” – Diva (4:46)
Madonna – “Jump” – Confessions On A Dance Floor (3:46)
Spice Girls – “Stop” – Greatest Hits (3:26)
Peter Gabriel – “Steam” – Us (6:03)
Pet Shop Boys – “Rent” – Discography: The Complete Singles Collection (3:33)
Depeche Mode – “Dream On” – Exciter (4:21)
Tori Amos – “Mr. Zebra” – Boys For Pele (1:07)
Kate Bush – “Jig Of Life” – Hounds Of Love (4:04)
Enigma – “Out From The Deep” – The Cross Of Changes (4:55)
Deep Forest – “Marta’s Song” – Boheme (4:13)
Indus Creed – “Pretty Child” – The Second Coming (4:39)
Duran Duran – “Ordinary World” – The Wedding Album (4:41)
George Michael – “Praying For Time” – Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 (4:44)
David Gilmour – “Take A Breath” – On An Island (5:46)
Tears For Fears – “Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)” – Shout: The Very Best Of Tears For Fears (4:41)
Manic Street Preachers – “Second Great Depression” – Send Away The Tigers (4:09)
Ozzy Osbourne – “Back On Earth” – The Ozzman Cometh (5:00)

Total runtime: 159:21

UP NEXT: bono_212 vs. Screwtape2, KhanadaRhodes vs. phillyfan26, Axver vs. PlaTheGreat/the rockin edge, Cute Irish Bono vs. Lara Mullen

NOTE: Round 4 will start on Monday

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Even if I do win this match, it still does me no good. I'm pretty certain that I'm mathematically eliminated already. :shrug:

LemonMelon's my second favourite list in the competition, so he gets my vote. (Phanan is first, and that's disregarding my own)

phanan said:
LM. It's one of the best.

:up:

LemonMelon said:
Even if I do win this match, it still does me no good. I'm pretty certain that I'm mathematically eliminated already. :shrug:

It depends how Irishteen/Lemonchick's list turns out, right?

LemonMacPhisto said:

It depends how Irishteen/Lemonchick's list turns out, right?

Some weird shit has to happen. I&L have to lose two out of three matches, one of them by more than three votes, and you have to lose to Phanan. Yeah, not going to happen. :lol:

I'll probably end up losing to Phanan, in his wave of mutilation. Waaaaave, waaaave.

LemonMelon said:

Some weird shit has to happen. I&L have to lose two out of three matches, one of them by more than three votes, and you have to lose to Phanan. Yeah, not going to happen. :lol:

It could happen. It sucks, too, because yours and Phanan's are my two favourite lists and you're in the same group.

LemonMelon said:
Some weird shit has to happen. I&L have to lose two out of three matches,one of them by more than three votes , and you have to lose to Phanan. Yeah, not going to happen. :lol:

That one might be happening right now :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom