Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 3, Match 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most

• bono_212

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • phillyfan26

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first match of the third round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

Updated standings will arrive tomorrow with Match 5, as the file I need to do it with is at home.

In Match 5 of Round 2, we had our second tie, as BonoIsMyMuse and DaveC finished with 11 votes each. Both will receive two points for that match.

Starting off Round 3 will be bono_212 and phillyfan26. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: bono_212

I have tried to the best of my ability to make this a list of songs I would like to have with me if I were trapped on a desert island. However, not only did I use up most of my absolute favorite songs on my last list, I also realize that theme and flow are important to this contest, so I attempted to make both coexist (no pun intended) peacefully. What resulted was rather shocking, because I discovered that most of the songs covered several things that had been very emotionally troubling or upsetting to me over the last year or so. There are songs snuck in throughout the list that are just there for my own entertainment, such as the lead track, but it’s obvious my political fears found there way into the music for about five tracks. There are a few tracks that represent the sense of loss I felt at the death of my Grandmother, as well. The major part of the play list, the last ten songs or so, are almost all about how I felt when I found out that my best friend, who I was starting to fall in love with, was gay. I’ve tried to put the songs in an order that I felt was representative of our relationship, but I think the order really only makes sense to myself. Mixed in there are a few instrumental tracks I like, and a few songs about the sense of loss I felt over friends when I made the jump from high school to college. Overall, I’m rather happy with the list, and only wish I could’ve put a few more tracks on, but I just could not make them fit.

1. Panic! at the Disco - "Time to Dance" - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (3:22)
2. The Offspring - "The Kids Aren't Alright" - Greatest Hits (3:00)
3. Genesis - "Land of Confusion" - Invisible Touch (4:47)
4. Arcade Fire - "Intervention" - Neon Bible (4:19)
5. Bruce Springsteen - "Radio Nowhere" - Magic (3:19)
6. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" - Forty Licks (4:33)
7. Buffalo Springfield - "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield (2:35)
8. Boston - "Peace of Mind" - Boston (5:02)
9. Joy Division - "Atmosphere" - Permanent (4:10)
10. Explosions In The Sky - "Your Hand In Mine" - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (8:18)
11. Tori Amos - "Sleeps With Butterflies" - The Beekeeper (3:40)
12. Kate Bush - "This Woman's Work" - She's Having a Baby (3:36)
13. Bell X1 - "In Every Sunflower" - Music In Mouth (5:46)
14. Madonna - "Live To Tell" - Something To Remember (5:52)
15. Roy Orbison - "She's A Mystery To Me" - The Very Best of Roy Orbison (4:18)
16. David Bowie - "Moss Garden" - Heroes (5:05)
17. Pink Floyd - "Mother" - The Wall [Disc 1] (5:35)
18. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)
19. The White Stripes - "We Are Going to be Friends" - White Blood Cells (2:23)
20. Regina Spektor - "On The Radio" - Begin To Hope (3:22)
21. Jimmy Eat World - "Work" - Futures (3:24)
22. Dave Melilo - "Knights Of The Island Counter" - Talk Is Cheap (3:01)
23. Muse - "Map of the Problematiqué " - Black Holes and Revelations (4:19)
24. The Cure - "Lovesong" - Disintegration (3:27)
25. U2 - "Love Is Blindness" - Achtung Baby (4:23)
26. Peter Gabriel - "Secret World" - Us (7:01)
27. Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence" - Violator (3:32)
28. Snow Patrol - "Make This Go On Forever" - Eyes Open (5:48)
29. Blaqk Audio - "Cities of Night" - Cex Cells (3:48)
30. Shout Out Louds - "You Are Dreaming" - Our Ill Wills (3:29)
31. Blink-182 - "I Miss You" - Blink-182 (3:47)
32. Our Lady Peace - "Somewhere Out There" - A Decade (4:13)
33. The Killers - "Change Your Mind" - Hot Fuss (3:11)
34. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "It'll All Work Out" - Anthology Through The Years (3:12)
35. The Beatles - "Let It Be" - Let It Be (3:51)

Total Runtime: 148:21

Forum name: phillyfan26

Left Looking For More

My playlist is a two disc, four sided concept album. The title is "Left Looking For More," describing the ultimate feelings of the unnamed main character by the end of the playlist. The first disc is titled "Electrically Numb," a title stolen from a song I wrote. Disc 2 is titled "Fall of a Dreamer," which indirectly refers to the first track of that disc.

My first and only request to the listener is to please not factor in the fact that it is shorter than the maximum time. Being a concept album more than anything, I did not want to add "filler" to meet these requirements if it meant destroying the concept and flow.

The main character is introduced in his mid-20s, after having already fallen into the world of drug use. The first disc displays how numb he can feel due to his habits, no matter what is happening around him. He witnesses some large events in his life during this time, and cannot properly react. After using some dirtier drugs downtown and getting ill, he swears off drugs for good. However, we pick up ten years later at age 35, and nothing has changed for him. He has now settled into a belief that his drug habits cannot be changed, despite attempts to help him from friends and family. He begins hallucinating, seeing a media controlled government, and becomes detached and disillusioned from his middle-class life as a husband and father. As the first disc ends, he remembers his youth, prior to his drug use, and begs for it to return.

In the second disc, the character has had an intervention in one of his visions, in which he believes the world can live in peace. He drops his drug habits cold turkey and begins to seek peace and harmony through other means. However, he abandons his job and family in order to search for a natural high to replace his drugs. He spends a while searching, and finds himself involved in a number of brief love affairs. None of those can replace the feeling of the drugs, however. After one of the love affairs ends poorly, he moves in with his sister and falls into alcoholism. After a brief period of total isolation, he finds his last refuge in religion. He devotes himself to working at a local church. However, he finds that the more he learns about religion, the more he realizes that his church is a corrupt body. He loses all faith that humanity has goodness, and then believes all humans are doomed to hell. He continually thinks over this mystery, and for a brief time believes that he himself is destined for heaven for "figuring out" the mystery. But his satisfaction ceases, and he slowly loses faith in any meaning for life. His last years fade, and he miserably realizes that he never accomplished anything and never found his desired inner peace. At his death, he is merely left looking for more.

DISC 1: Electrically Numb

SIDE A

David Bowie – "Station to Station" – Station to Station (10:12)
John Frusciante – "Carvel" – Shadows Collide With People (6:14)
The Beatles – "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (3:28)
Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Under the Bridge" – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (4:24)
Led Zeppelin – "Ten Years Gone" – Latter Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 2 (6:32)
Streetlight Manifesto – "Down, Down, Down to Mehphisto's Café" – Somewhere in the Between (5:03)
The Who – "Won't Get Fooled Again" – Who's Next (8:32)

SIDE B

U2 – "Zooropa" – Zooropa (6:31)
The Police – "Synchronicity II" – Synchronicity (Remastered) (5:00)
The Killers – "When You Were Young" – Sam's Town (3:42)
Franz Ferdinand – "Come on Home" – Franz Ferdinand (Special Edition) (3:46)

Disc 1 Runtime: 63:24

DISC 2: Fall of a Dreamer

SIDE A

John Lennon – "Imagine" – Imagine (Remastered) (3:04)
JET – "Look What You've Done" – Get Born (3:50)
Paul McCartney – "Maybe I'm Amazed" – McCartney (Remastered) (3:53)
Elton John – "Tiny Dancer" – Elton John: The Greatest Hits of 1970-2002 (6:17)
Oasis – "Wonderwall" – (What's the Story?) Morning Glory (4:18)
Sting – "Desert Rose" – Brand New Day (4:45)

SIDE B

Billy Joel – "Captain Jack" – Piano Man (7:18)
Arcade Fire – "Intervention" – Neon Bible (4:19)
Bruce Springsteen – "Devil's Arcade" – Magic (5:20)
Bob Dylan – "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" – Biograph (2:32)
The Edge – "Rowena's Theme" – Captive – 3:56
Explosions in the Sky – "The Birth and Death of the Day" – All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone – 7:49

Disc 2 Runtime: 57:21

TOTAL RUNTIME: 2:00:45

Competition master list.

Have fun!

I'm going with Bono_212 -- I think it's a more challenging list. I voted for PFan's all the way through the last competition, and this one has lots of great songs, but it's got that greatest hits thing going against it.

Phillsies.

The guy's not no creativity for including popular songs, but what the hell, the concept really added to the experience.

phillyfan26 said:
I don't understand the greatest hits criticism at all, to be honest.

People are tired of the songs, so it affects their opinion of the list as a whole. Who really wants to hear Imagine, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Wonderwall, and Tiny Dancer again, honestly? Don't be offended, but it's true.

LemonMelon said:

People are tired of the songs, so it affects their opinion of the list as a whole. Who really wants to hear Imagine, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Wonderwall, and Tiny Dancer again, honestly? Don't be offended, but it's true.
You probably would if you were stranded on a desert island.

I think there are about equal...both have some really good songs and a few I didn't enjoy

I'm going with bono_212

LemonMacPhisto said:

I don't agree with the poster's statement, but what the hell does that have to do with anything?

He was trying to be clever and failed, methinks.

LemonMelon said:

He was trying to be clever and failed, methinks.

It's true. Someone with so few posts posting in one of these brings the example notAxver to mind. notAxver and John Lackey. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom