Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 1, Match 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most!

• Irishteen/Lemonchick

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh match of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

For the fifth match, AtomicBono defeated BonoIsMyMuse, 10-7. However, BonoIsMyMuse still receives one point for being within three votes of the winner.

And so we come to Group 4, with Match 7 starting us off. The duo of Irishteen/Lemonchick get to go up against two-time champion LemonMacPhisto. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: Irishteen/Lemonchick

7/7/7

The inspiration for this playlist was very simple - each day represents the seven days we spent together from the moment we first met until our last moment together. On the first day we met by a fountain (hence the cover image), and each one of the songs describes either the mood of the day or the topics of conversations we had. The Backstreet Boys was more of an inside joke (and I'm responsible for it - Lemonchick), and we know it's a pretty risky choice for this game but it just fits...so we couldn't get rid of it...and we hope it doesn't completely ruin our chances. Day two actually takes place during the evening, we went to a concert (Final Fantasy and Do Make Say Think) and then the other songs are just ones that fit the mood of what happened afterwards. The third day takes place in a variety of places...but mostly a cemetery and hopefully explains itself, except probably the Book I Read which is there because I randomly took a book from her and started reading it, yes I'm weird (Irishteen).Day four is (we hope) self-explanatory. While the last three days are just songs we like and we think fit well with the story and hopefully flow decently into one another, only a couple of them are there for a real reason like the Pulp song.

Day One

1. Kaiser Chiefs – "Oh my God" – Employment (3:35)
2. Bright Eyes – "First Day of my Life" – I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2:52)
3. Radiohead – "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" – In Rainbows (4:09)
4. The Shins – "New Slang" – Oh, Inverted World (3:50)
5. Backstreet Boys – "The One" – Millennium (3:47)
6. Leonard Cohen – "Take This Waltz" – I'm Your Man (6:00)

Day Two

7. Stars – "The Night Starts Here" – In Our Bedroom After the War (4:53)
8. Do Make Say Think – "Ontario Plates" – Winter Hymn, Country Hymn, Secret Hymn (7:03)
9. Final Fantasy – "Many Lives -> 49 MP" – He Poos Clouds (3:45)
10. Sigur Rós – "Saeglópur" – Takk... (7:39)
11. The Killers – "Read my Mind" – Sam's Town (4:07)
12. KT Tunstall – "The Beauty of Uncertainty" – Drastic Fantastic (5:02)

Day Three

13. Feist - "I Fell it All" – The Reminder (3:40)
14. Talking Heads – "The Book I Read" – Talking Heads: 77 (4:10)
15. The Smiths – "Cemetry Gates" – The Queen is Dead (2:41)
16. Ash – "Lost in You" – 1977 (4:19)
17. The Arcade Fire – "My Body is a Cage"- Neon Bible (4:47)

Day Four

18. Richard Ashcroft – "You on my Mind in my Sleep" – Alone With Everybody (5:06)
19. Snow Patrol – "Chasing Cars" – Eyes Open (4:28)
20. Morrissey & Siouxsie - "Interlude" – Interlude(5:49)
21. Morrissey – "Let me Kiss You" – You Are The Quarry (3:31)
22. The Corrs – "Breathless" – The Best of The Corrs (3:27)

Day Five

23. The Verve – "This Time" – Urban Hymns (3:51)
24. Blur – "Tender" – The Best of Blur (7:42)
25. U2 – "Spanish Eyes" - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (3:16)
26. R.E.M. – "Be Mine" – New Adventures in Hi-Fi (5:34)

Day Six

27. Pulp – "F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E" – Different Class (6:01)
28. Oasis – "Let There Be Love" – Don't Believe The Truth (5:32)
29. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – "Something's Gotten Hold of my Heart" – Kicking Against the Pricks (3:45)
30. Peter Gabriel – "Book of Love" – Shall We Dance (3:37)
31. David Bowie – "Heroes" – The Best of Bowie (3:37)

Day Seven

32. Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Hard to Concentrate" – Stadium Arcadium (4:02)
33. Director – "Be With You" – Be With You (3:58)
34. Regina Spektor – "Fidelity" – Begin to Hope (3:47)
35. The Moldy Peaches – "Anyone Else But You" – Juno OST (2:58)
36. The Cure – "Love Song" – Disintegration (3:30)

Total Runtime: 2:39:35

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

picturekv3.jpg

THE MOST POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL PLAYLIST THIS SIDE OF 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA'

I’ve been working on this list for quite a bit of time now, but still don’t have too much to say about it. I really wanted to put something together that gelled, had a style and flair to it unlike my previous lists, while still being representative of my tastes. I’m all about cohesion on this one and trying to make each transition between songs sound effortless and deliberate. I started out with an idea for an over-arching theme and story, but ultimately abandoned it because it was too tedious and tenuously connected together. Any list should be about the songs within them; if you don’t like them, it doesn’t matter if it’s the most brilliantly concocted list ever, then it’s not worth it. While saying that, I hope you all enjoy my list, as I and my son and partner, H.W. Plainview, are looking forward to hearing yours as well. Also, the title and cover are both all in good fun, I do not want to be politically insightful nor drink anyone’s milkshake... it’s just my nature.

1. Bobby Womack - “Across 110th Street ” - Across 110th Street [SOUNDTRACK] (3:48)
2. James Brown - “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1” - Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1 [SINGLE] (5:16)
3. The Miracles - “Love Machine Pt. 1” - Love Machine Pt. 1 [SINGLE] (3:02)
4. Prince & the Revolution - “Kiss” - Parade (3:46)
5. U2 - “Mysterious Ways - Achtung Baby (4:03)
6. R.E.M. - “Draggin’ the Line” - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me [SOUNDTRACK] (4:27)
7. War - “Spill the Wine” - Eric Burdon Declares “War” (4:02)
8. Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)” - The First Edition (3:22)
9. OutKast - “Player’s Ball (Original Version)” - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (4:13)
10. Hot Chocolate - “You Sexy Thing” - You Sexy Thing [SINGLE] (4:04)
11. Sly & The Family Stone - “Everyday People” - Stand! (2:22)
12. Al Green - “Let’s Stay Together” - Let's Stay Together (3:17)
13. Aimee Mann - “One” - Magnolia [SOUNDTRACK] (3:04)
14. Earth, Wind, & Fire - “That’s the Way of the World” - That’s the Way of the World (5:46)
15. Kanye West - “I Wonder” - Graduation (4:04)
16. Jon Brion - “Punch Drunk Melody” - Punch-Drunk Love [SOUNDTRACK] (1:43)
17. Blur - “To the End / La Comedie ( ft. Françoise Hardy)” - Country House [SINGLE] (5:04)
18. Miles Davis - “My Ship” - Miles Ahead (4:24)
19. The Flaming Lips - “Bad Days (Aurally Excited Version)” - Clouds Taste Metallic 4:38)
20. LCD Soundsystem - “ New York , I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down” - Sound of Silver (5:36)
21. Arcade Fire - “Black Mirror” - Neon Bible (4:13)
22. Pink Floyd - “One of These Days” - Meddle (5:15)
23. David Bowie - “Moonage Daydream” - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (4:40)
24. The Velvet Underground - “White Light / White Heat” - White Light / White Heat (2:48)
25. Three Dog Night - “Mama Told Me (Not to Come) - It Ain't Easy (3:16)
26. Sonic Youth - “Unmade Bed” - Sonic Nurse (3:54)
27. Led Zeppelin - “Going to California ” - Led Zeppelin IV (3:32)
28. Bob Dylan - “The Ballad of Ira Hayes” - Dylan (5:10)
29. She & Him - “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” - Volume One (1:37)
30. The Killers - “Read My Mind (Like Rebel Diamonds Mix)” - Read My Mind [EP] (4:11)
31. Bruce Springsteen - “ Thunder Road ” - Born to Run (4:50)
32. The Who - “The Seeker” - The Seeker [SINGLE] (3:24)
33. Pixies - “Debaser” - Doolittle (2:53)
34. The Rolling Stones - “Tumbling Dice” - Exile on Main St . (3:47)
35. Faces - “Oh La La” - Oh La La (3:29)
36. Cat Stevens - “Peace Train” - Teaser and the Firecat (4:12)
37. Wilco - “Via Chicago” - Summerteeth (5:34)
38. Explosions in the Sky - “Your Hand in Mine (with strings)” - Friday Night Lights [SOUNDTRACK] (4:09)
39. The Beatles - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” - Love (3:47)
40. Radiohead - “Weird Fishes / Arpeggi” - In Rainbows (5:18)

Total runtime: 159:44

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Voted for LMP, and I have my reasons.

Irishteen/Lemonchick's list has a great concept. Great. However, it's chopped up so much that the flow doesn't feel quite right to me. Along with that, several Smiths-related songs and a cast of tracks that simply aren't to my taste bring it down for me. Still very well executed.

LMP's list is just a blast to listen to. It has the same flaws his lists have every year, but with a greater emphasis on funk and some strong segueing, it's as good as ever.

LemonMelon said:
Voted for LMP, and I have my reasons.

Irishteen/Lemonchick's list has a great concept. Great. However, it's chopped up so much that the flow doesn't feel quite right to me. Along with that, several Smiths-related songs and a cast of tracks that simply aren't to my taste bring it down for me. Still very well executed.

Ditto. I like I&L's list, but LMP's is mothafunkin' hot. :wink:

I forgot to mention that Khan requested I manually add her vote to the totals, as she is away this weekend.

For this match, Khan's vote goes to LMP. Please keep in mind that one extra vote will be added to LMP's tally.

When I sorted out my overall thoughts, LMP's was one slot ahead of this pair.

LMP's just had a little bit more overall flow.

I've gone through both of these playlists now, and wow, two very good playlists.

In the end, I had to go with Irishteen and Lemonchick. I loved the song structure, and it was full of tunes I really enjoyed.

I'll give you a mulligan on the Backstreet Boys. :wink:

LMP, as usual, has another strong effort, and the songs flow very well. I would vote for his playlist in most matches here - that's how close this match is for me.

LemonMelon said:
Oh my God. :ohmy: That was one fast turnaround.

Indeed.

I'm glad their list is getting some love - it's one of my favorites so far.

So did not for herself either. :wink:

Although in all honesty, I really did enjoy LMPs playlist, it just put me in such a great mood and I'll most likely be voting for it in the future.

Love the cover, btw. :lol:

Lemonchick said:
So did not for herself either. :wink:

Although in all honesty, I really did enjoy LMPs playlist, it just put me in such a great mood and I'll most likely be voting for it in the future.

Love the cover, btw. :lol:

Thank you. Kudos goes to L-Mel for helping call the audible on the cover and making it on MS Paint.

Daniel Plainview will live to drink milkshakes another day.

I went with Lemonchick/Irishteen. Their playlist was beautiful and heartfelt. People know I'm a romantic so I was a sucker for that angle of the playlist. The whole experience was wonderful. Knowing the two of you a little bit made it that much cooler. I loved that you used Spanish Eyes and Interlude. Those were great choices.

Good luck through the competition and your relationship. :up:

Now LemonMacPhisto I liked yours as well. I liked a lot of the song choices. It had some great moments. It sucks that you are in this tough group because I would like to vote for you more than I think I will.

Here's some of what I liked:
4. Prince & the Revolution - “Kiss” - Parade (3:46)

18. Miles Davis - “My Ship” - Miles Ahead (4:24)

21. Arcade Fire - “Black Mirror” - Neon Bible (4:13)
22. Pink Floyd - “One of These Days” - Meddle (5:15)
23. David Bowie - “Moonage Daydream” - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (4:40)

Good luck. :up:

I looove these two lists and I really like Irishteen/Lemonchick's concept (don't we all?) really excellent song choices too....I appreciate the BSB, though I would have preferred I Want It That Way :wink:

however, I gotta give the edge to LMP. Great diversity on his... a playlist that can combine Outkast, Wilco, Explosions in the Sky, and Miles Davis and have it work beautifully is pretty amazing to me. fantastic list :up:

Again, I think they're both very strong playlists, but I'm going with Irishteen/Lemonchick. Aside from the Back Street Boys, I think it's excellent. Full of great tunes and nice surprises; really nice vibe.

LMP's isn't very far behind, though -- it has tons of songs that I love.

This was so hard. :sad:

I loved both lists and I liked the same amount of tracks from each one. But Irishteen and Lemonchick get my vote for including "New Slang".

Oh, and I really liked why you picked those songs. Very sweet (I had no idea yousins were a couple) :)

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:
This was so hard. :sad:

I loved both lists and I liked the same amount of tracks from each one. But Irishteen and Lemonchick get my vote for including "New Slang".

Oh, and I really liked why you picked those songs. Very sweet (I had no idea yousins were a couple) :)

I used New Slang in a previous list, if that helps any. :wink:

I'm glad your guys' list is doing well.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I used New Slang in a previous list, if that helps any. :wink:

:heart:

This was a horrible round, youse three had really class lists. I loved yours too, Mr Lemon

2. James Brown - “Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1” - Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1 [SINGLE] (5:16)
9. OutKast - “Player’s Ball (Original Version)” - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (4:13)
12. Al Green - “Let’s Stay Together” - Let's Stay Together (3:17)
13. Aimee Mann - “One” - Magnolia [SOUNDTRACK] (3:04)
15. Kanye West - “I Wonder” - Graduation (4:04)
20. LCD Soundsystem - “ New York , I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down” - Sound of Silver (5:36)
33. Pixies - “Debaser” - Doolittle (2:53)

If New Slang wasn't on the other list you would have had my vote for Debaser :combust: and Blur with Françoise Hardy. Blur and French singers. :combust:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom