Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 1, Match 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most!

• Lancemc

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Lara Mullen

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth match of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

Match 2 saw phillyfan26 overcome an early 4-0 hole and take the match over LJT by the score of 12-7.

The fourth match of Round 1 pits Lancemc against Lara Mullen. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: Lancemc

INTERGALACTIC PLEASURE CRUISE

Intergalactic Pleasure Cruise is the next logical evolution of my Desert Island ideology. In a series of small journeys between the realm of the art, the popular, and the media rich crossroads that house their intersections, I offer a perhaps slightly-deeper-than-superficial examination of the harmonies, melodies, rhythms and associations of such that continue to grow and define my own persona. Classic heroic composers, 20th century poet philosophers, post-modern electronic deconstructions, comic-book swatches of cinematic panache… now firing stage-2 rocket clusters, steer clear of the black hole.

Part I: Thrust Into The Infinite

1. Richard Wagner – “Vorspiel” – Das Rheingold (Scene 1 and 2) (4:13)
2. LCD Soundsystem – “Losing My Edge” – LCD Soundsystem (7:53)
3. Wilco – “Far, Far Away” – Being There (3:20)
4. Sufjan Stevens – “Sleeping Bear, Sault Saint Marie” – Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State (2:54)
5. Neutral Milk Hotel – “Ghost” – In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (4:09)
6. !!! – “Must Be The Moon” – Myth Takes (5:58)
7. John Williams – “The Planet Krypton” – Superman: The Movie (6:40)
8. Gustav Holst – “The Planets, Op. 32: V. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age” – Holst: The Planets (7:45)
9. Panda Bear – “Search For Delicious” – Person Pitch (4:53)
10. Passengers – “Beach Sequence” – Original Sountracks 1 (3:32)
11. Bjork – “Alarm Call” – Homorgenic (4:20)
12. Radiohead – “Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner) – Hail To The Thief (3:53)
13. Jim O’Rourke – “Bad Timing” – Bad Timing (10:00)
14. Bob Dylan – “Visions of Johanna” – Blonde on Blonde (7:33)
15. My Bloody Valentine – “No More Sorry” – Isn’t Anything (2:48)

Total Runtime: 79:44

Part II: Painless Reentry

1. Jonny Greenwood – “Oil” – There Will Be Blood (3:05)
2. Ludwig Van Beethoven – “Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op 68, ‘Pastoral’ – 2. Andante molto mosso” – Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 6 (12:42)
3. Patti Smith – “Birdland” – Horses (9:16)
4. Cat Power – “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again” – I’m Not There (6:54)
5. Xavier Cugat – “Perfidia” – 2046 (3:01)
6. Emmylou Harris - “Waltz Across Texas Tonight” – Wrecking Ball (4:46)
7. The Magnetic Fields – “I Don’t Believe You” – I (3:42)
8. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – “Piano Concerto No. 21 – 2 Movement” – The Essential Mozart (7:22)
9. Brian Eno – “Three Variations On The Canon In D Major: (ii) French Catalogues” – Discreet Music (5:18)
10. Iron & Wine – “Upward Over The Mountain” – The Creek Drank the Cradle (5:56)
11. Dmitri Shostakovich – “Jazz Suite No. 2: 6. Waltz II” - Shostakovich: the Jazz Album (3:46)
12. Talking Heads – “Seen And Not Seen” – Remain In Light (3:25)
13. Sigur Ros – “Staralfur” – Agaetis Byrjun (6:45)
14. Johann Sebastian Bach – “Cello Suite No. 1 in G, 4. Sarabande” – Bach (JS) Cello Suites (2:56)

Total Runtime: 78:47

Forum name: Lara Mullen

1. Mr. Hudson & The Library – “Too late, too late” – A tale of two cities (3:08)
2. Belle & Sebastian – “Step into my office, baby” – Dear catastrophe waitress - (4:17)
3. Pulp – “Common People” – Different class – (5:51)
4. Basement Jaxx – Rendez-Vu – The Singles – (3:44)
5. Beyonce – “Crazy in love” – Dangerously in Love - (4:10)
6. Bloc Party – “Flux” – A weekend in the city - (3:39)
7. Daft Punk – “Aerodynamic” – Discovery – (3:27)
8. The White Stripes – “You don’t know what love is” – Icky Thump – (3:54)
9. Raconteurs – “Steady as she goes” – (3:36)
10. The Crystals – "Da doo Ron Ron" – Phil Spector Back to Mono – (2:18)
11. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Bad moon rising” - Green river – (2:20)
12. The Pipettes – “Your kisses are wasted on me” – We are the Pipettes – (2:08)
13. Neko Case - Hold on, hold on - Fox confessor brings the floods – (2:46)
14. Nouvelle Vague – “Dance with me” – Bande a part – (3 :40)
15. Rilo Kiley – “Dreamworld” – Under the blacklight – (4:45)
16. Malajube – “Etienne d'aout” – Trompe l'oeil – (5:27)
17. KT Tunstall – “I don't want you to know” – Drastic Fantastic – (3:48)
18. Blondie – “Heart of glass” – Parallel Lines – (4:32)
19. Bruce Springsteen – “I’m on fire” – Born in the USA – (2:34)
20. Vampire Weekend – “Oxford Comma” – Vampire Weekend – (3:24)
21. Dire Straits – “Romeo and Juliet” – Making moves - (6:05)
22. R.E.M. – “Daysleeper” – Up - (3:40)
23. U2 – "Original of the Spieces" – HTDAAB – (4:41)
24. Travis – "Why does it always rain on me?" – The Man Who – (4:24)
25. The Lightning Seeds – "Pure" – The very best of the Lightning Seeds – (3:47)
26. Pixies – “Where is my mind?” – Surfer Rosa – (3:51)
27. Sonic Youth – “Superstar” – Superstar single – (4:06)
28. Bob Marley – Waiting in vain – Exodus – (4:11)
29. Aphex Twin – “Avril 14th” – Drukqs – (2:05)
30. Ryan Adams – “Nobody Girl” – Gold – (9:43)
31. Suzanne Vega – "Ludlow Street" – Beauty & Crime – (3:15)
32. Leona Naess – “Don’t use my broken heart” – Leona Naess – (3:51)
33. Massive Attack – “Unfinished sympathy” – Blue Lines – (5:08)
34. Al Green – “How can you mend a broken heart” – Let's stay together – (6:18)
35. Francoise Hardy – “Tous les garcons et les filles“ – En resume – (3 :09)
36. Blur – “The Universal“ – The Great Escape – (3:59)
37. Ludovico Einaudi – “Primavera” – Divenire - (7:18)
38. Mocedades – “Eres tu” - Los esenciales – (3:33)

Full playing time : 157 minutes 12 seconds

UP NEXT: AtomicBono vs. BonoIsMyMuse, DaveC vs. major_panic

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Outside of the admittedly ridiculous cover art, I think Lance did a very good job with his list. Lara's list seems quite formless to me in spite of the presence of many great songs. Lance gets my vote.

Lancemc's playlist was good but with the protected tracks I can't rate it as high as it could be. I know most people on Interference aren't classical music fans. I love classical and film music. So those inclusions on Lancemc's playlist were great in my opinion.

I need to be honest, I really couldn't get into Lara Mullen's playlist. I tried but none of the songs jumped out at me not even the U2 one. With that said I'm not the right person to judge her playlist. It would have been better with a concept.

So I am voting Lancemc because of the bravery to put classical and film music in his playlist.

Good luck to the both of you. :up:

Screwtape2 said:
Lancemc's playlist was good but with the protected tracks I can't rate it as high as it could be.
agreed. it was a tie for me, but the fact that there were protected tracks and they were never uploaded again (as far as i know) forced me to subtract points, since that essentially messes up the flow.

Screwtape2 said:
It would have been better with a concept.
I know how hard Lara's been working and how little she's been sleeping so I think the concept is "no time for a concept" :lol:

:lol:

Well, it doesn't matter whether someone uses a concept or not. It's all about the music.

And for this match, I have to go with Lara. I thought the songs worked well together, and there were simply more on hers that I liked.

Lara! :up:

phanan said:
3. Pulp – “Common People” – Different class – (5:51)
7. Daft Punk – “Aerodynamic” – Discovery – (3:27)
19. Bruce Springsteen – “I’m on fire” – Born in the USA – (2:34)
21. Dire Straits – “Romeo and Juliet” – Making moves - (6:05)
22. R.E.M. – “Daysleeper” – Up - (3:40)
36. Blur – “The Universal“ – The Great Escape – (3:59)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh shit. I forgot to upload those again. Yikes. I'll do that tonight when I get time.

Sorry folks.

Can someone remind me which ones are protected? They were all bought in itunes (the protected ones), and if I remember correctly, simply burning them to a disc, and re-uploading them from there removes the protection, right?

Last edited:
Lancemc said:
Oh shit. I forgot to upload those again. Yikes. I'll do that tonight when I get time.

Sorry folks.

Can someone remind me which ones are protected? They were all bought in itunes (the protected ones), and if I remember correctly, simply burning them to a disc, and re-uploading them from there removes the protection, right?

Correct.

The songs that are protected:

The Planet Krypton
Saturn
Beach Sequence
Oil
Jazz Suite Number 2

I never got around to voting in the first matches--I meant to, but things got busy at work this afternoon. I vote for Lance this time. I really like the diversity of this list.

Alright. Two now-unusable CD's and a worthless shareware program later and I still have protected tracks.

Fuck it.

I may try again tomorrow, but I don't have time for this now.

Lance has some ballsy tracks and there's a fair few that I really enjoy on a first listen. But Lara's has more songs I know beforehand and the sequencing feels more natural and relaxed.

Voted Lara, there's just a wee bit more fun in her playlist.

Salome said:
I think the concept is "no time for a concept" :lol:

Pretty much. :lol: :(

I thought I'd get time over the Easter holidays to make the playlist but turned out I still had too much work to do. I didn't even expect to be in a close round the first match. I was expecting Lance to have a lot more votes.

Lancemc said:
Alright. Two now-unusable CD's and a worthless shareware program later and I still have protected tracks.

Fuck it.

I may try again tomorrow, but I don't have time for this now.

Did you try the "Convert to MP3" function on iTunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom