Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 1, Match 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most!

• Axver

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Cute Irish Bono

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third match of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

The results of the first match are in, and in a very close contest, KhanadaRhodes emerged with a narrow 13-12 victory over bono_212. However, bono_212 still receives one point for being within three votes of the winner.

Match 3 introduces players from Group 2, as Axver goes up against Cute Irish Bono. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: Axver

SO THIS IS PERMANENCE

This tracklist aims to create an artistic sketch of life's dark and bleak undercurrents. It exists in the shadows and on the margins. It is not designed to engage or to attract, but to create a desolate aesthetic through the use of various stylistic representations of the mournful, melancholic, and despondent facets of existence. It loosely traces a mental progression into an unfathomable abyss. It opens with the realisation of life's fleeting worthlessness and a lament for things of meaning that have been lost - bridges burnt, love interests extinguished, friends neglected, and family abandoned. It proceeds to grapple for hope, for resurrection, and to rekindle the fires that sustained a naive and youthful charade of meaningfulness. The fire merely consumes the dreams. There is nothing left but despair - no escape, whether through the natural, the intellectual, the hallucinogenic, or even death. Death is as futile as life. This leads to the final realisation - that it is not so much staying alive but staying human that is important. And by this point, humanity is lost forever in the abyss.

These are the shadows that gnaw upon existence.

More details: http://axver.livejournal.com/401691.html#cutid1

1. Pink Floyd - "Time" - Dark Side Of The Moon (7:06)
2. God Is An Astronaut - "Suicide By Star" - All Is Violent, All Is Bright (4:38)
3. The Triffids - "The Seabirds" - Born Sandy Devotional (3:20)
4. Blackfield - "End Of The World" - Blackfield II (5:13)
5. Riverside - "Out Of Myself" - Out Of Myself (3:44)
6. The Terminals - "Uncoffined" - Cul-De-Sac (3:54)
7. Subterranean Masquerade - "No Place Like Home" - Suspended Animation Dreams (7:59)
8. Marillion - "Jigsaw" - Fugazi (6:49)
9. Green Carnation - "The Burden Is Mine ... Alone" - The Acoustic Verses (3:15)
10. U2 - "Wake Up Dead Man" - Pop (4:52)
11. Able Tasmans - "The Theory Of Continual Disappointment" - Hey, Spinner! (5:12)
12. Martin Phillipps - "Small Spark" - Sketch Book Volume 1 (4:24)
13. The Sisters Of Mercy - "Some Kind Of Stranger" - First And Last And Always (7:16)
14. Ride - "Dreams Burn Down" - Nowhere (6:06)
15. Joy Division - "Twenty Four Hours" - Closer (4:26)
16. Russian Circles - "You Already Did" - Enter (8:14)
17. The Sea, Like Lead - "Anticline/Syncline" - EP Split with Belegost (7:00)
18. Anathema - "Empty" - Alternative 4 (3:00)
19. Agalloch - "I Am The Wooden Doors" - The Mantle (6:11)
20. Arcturus - "Nightmare Heaven" - The Sham Mirrors (6:05)
21. Jesu - "Friends Are Evil" - Jesu (9:43)
22. Long Distance Calling - "The Very Last Day" - DMNSTRTN (11:05)
23. Sculptured - "Our Illuminated Tomb" - The Spear Of The Lily Is Aureoled (7:25)
24. The Cure - "Untitled" - Disintegration (6:26)
25. Porcupine Tree - "Collapse The Light Into Earth" - In Absentia (5:54)

Total length: 2:29:17

Forum name: Cute Irish Bono

Part 1 is about not living life to the fullness. You don't like life or yourself. Songs 1.- 5. are racy heavy rock songs about being angry with the way you life is turning out. Everywhere you go you are about to completely lose it. Songs 6.-9 are slower songs about calming down from your frustrations but you became depressed about your life. Around songs 10-13 the tunes became catchier. They are about a certain wisdom that comes into your mind. You've learned from your mistakes that there is more to your life than wasting it away with angry fists and sobs. So you decide to start to living, because life is short. This part carries on nicely to the next one. This part is mainly about discovering yourself.

Part 2 is about letting go of your pain and living everyday, because life is short! This part is about enjoying life because you learned many things about yourself and have accepted your short comings. So, just letting it all go and start celebrating life.

Part 1: Life is going nowhere

1. U2 - Gone - Pop - (4:26)
2. Joy Division - New Dawn Fades - Unknown Pleasures - (4:48)
3. Silverchair - One Way Mule - Diorama - (4:13)
4. The Bravery - An Honest Mistake - The Bravery (3:41)
5. Bloc Party - Where Is Home? - A Weekend in the City - (4:54)
6. The Auteurs - Lights Out - How I Learned To Love the Bootboys - (2:10)
7. The Verve - This Time - Urban Hymns - (3:50)
8. David Bowie - Sorrow - Best of Bowie - (2:55)
9. Peter Gabriel - I Grieve - Up - (8:10)
10. Bob Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind - The Very Best of Bob Dylan - (2:49)
11. Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun - Into the Wild Soundtrack - (5:21)
12. The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh) - Stadium Arcadium - (5:34)
13. Our Lady Peace - Where Are You - Healthy in Paranoid Times - (4:06)

Part 2: Life is short so start living!

1. Just Jack - No Time - Overtones - (3:27)
2. Moby - Slipping Away - Hotel - (3:39)
3. Weezer - Damage in Your Heart - Make Believe - (4:02)
4. All-Star United - There Gotta Be Something - Love & Radiation (2:49)
5. Blur - The Universal - The Great Escape - (4:00)
6. The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize?? Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - (3:32)
7. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Spread Your Love -
B.R.M.C. - (3:45)
8. Aztec Camera - Sun - Frestonia - (4:28)
9. Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day - Led Zeppelin - (3:28)
10. Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) - (3:35)
11. Keane - Untitled 1 - Hopes and Fears - (5:36)
12. Dawud Ali - Everyday - The Poets and the Prophets - (3:45)
13. The Stone Roses - Waterfall - The Stone Roses - (4:38)
14. Chicago - Beginnings - The Very Best of Chicago (6:26)
15. The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (4:14)

Total Time: 1:59:11

Competition master list.

Have fun!

This is a tough one. Both lists are competently-made, admittedly, Axver's more so. But there are a large number of songs on CIB's list that I absolutely love, whilst Axver has once again made a list that goes completely over my head. :lol:

LemonMelon said:
This is a tough one. Both lists are competently-made, admittedly, Axver's more so. But there are a large number of songs on CIB's list that I absolutely love, whilst Axver has once again made a list that goes completely over my head. :lol:

You North American scum.

LemonMelon said:

Axver will wipe up my blood with an American flag. :(

You're making him sound too cool. That's what Bill the Butcher would do.

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're making him sound too cool. That's what Bill the Butcher would do.

Maybe he can just take away my thread-making rights instead. :shrug: The Place Called Vertigo superthread will have to wait.

LemonMelon said:

Maybe he can just take away my thread-making rights instead. :shrug: The Place Called Vertigo superthread will have to wait.

That's the name of the baby's mustache, actually.

LemonMelon said:

I thought it was located in "disqualified".

That's funnier than Fenway Park, surely.

You forget about the specific type of humor allowed in that thread though. Mine's far too inferior to ever match Dildo.

LemonMacPhisto said:

You forget about the specific type of humor allowed in that thread though. Mine's far too inferior to ever match Dildo.

Well, Dildo was the Schindler's List of superthread titles.

Yours was like Baby Geniuses 2 or some shit. :tsk:

LemonMelon said:

Well, Dildo was the Schindler's List of superthread titles.

Yours was like Baby Geniuses 2 or some shit. :tsk:

I COULD HAVE SAVED MORE!!!

Anyway, here's my assessments:

Axver's list is again extremely well-made and conceived, even if the music isn't my style. It runs the risk of being pretentious because it's such an isolated genre of music, unlike CIB's, which I'll get to later, but it still manages to fit together nicely and sound terrific. I would shit a brick of Ax ever made an upbeat playlist, in a good way.

CIB's list was more to my liking musically - stuff I could listen to more than once and enjoy. Going back to what I said earlier, parts of it are too broad to fit together well, I think. I still really enjoyed it though.

I'd have to vote for Axver this round, but it was a close decision.

Cute Irish Bono came up with an excellent playlist. I don't think all of the sequences work, but quite a few of the songs are very strong, and I enjoyed it very much.

Unfortunately for CIB, she's going up against Axver in the first round, which is a tough draw. Now, I don't think Axver's entry is as good as the last few that he's had - while I like the premise and the flow of the playlist, I can't get by some of these songs. Sisters Of Mercy and Agalloch come to mind immediately. But overall, his playlist is probably my second favorite amongst the Group 2 entries, and it gets my vote here.

Axver put together a beautiful peice. His concept is one of the best in the competition. I think he has a great beginning. Time and Suicide By Star are amazing songs. The ending is great as well. The thing that stands out is how unified the playlist feels. It is a work of art and I appreciate the often bleak experience.

CuteIrishBono has a lot of great songs. While I'm not a fan of all of them, I understand the purpose of each one. Lots of effort was put into this playlist. I really like the ending of Tonight, Tonight. Both playlists are very well done and I appreciate the time and effort put into the both of them.

I have to go with Axver though. His playlist was a work of art.

Wow. This is sad. I like Axver's playlist 2nd out of the ones I've listened to so far.

I had to go up against Axver first round. :( Oh well, I still have 11 votes! :wink:

Last edited:
The amount of votes you get is pretty important though. If it was close in your Group, which it probably will end up being, you'll be good in the long run.

Cute Irish Bono has some great songs but I'm voting for Axver this time. His playlist, while I only knew about one song before listening, is brilliantly put together and has just the right flow given the tracks. Shame about the metal though :wink:

Voted for Axver for taking me on a journey well out of my comfort zone, I'm not sure I could say I like most of it, but it has been one of the more interesting listens in the competition hence he gets my vote.

Just something i've noticed but philly's and my round has had the least number of votes so far:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom