Desert Island IV Album Game: Round 1, Match 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most!

• bono_212

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • KhanadaRhodes

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first match of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game IV! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

In case some people didn't notice, the point structure originally posted in the Master List thread was wrong. It was updated shortly after, but I'll add it here again:

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

One final note: If you haven't listened to all the playlists, and you don't think you'll have time to get through them, I would urge everyone to at least review how each playlist is structured and, if possible, to check out the sequencing and flow of the songs. I'd also take the time to listen to a song by an artist you are unfamiliar with, or any song by an artist you usually dislike, as sometimes you may hear something you never thought you would have from that artist.

So with that out of the way, let's kick this thing off. Our first two lucky players are bono_212 and KhanadaRhodes. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: bono_212

I have tried to the best of my ability to make this a list of songs I would like to have with me if I were trapped on a desert island. However, not only did I use up most of my absolute favorite songs on my last list, I also realize that theme and flow are important to this contest, so I attempted to make both coexist (no pun intended) peacefully. What resulted was rather shocking, because I discovered that most of the songs covered several things that had been very emotionally troubling or upsetting to me over the last year or so. There are songs snuck in throughout the list that are just there for my own entertainment, such as the lead track, but it’s obvious my political fears found there way into the music for about five tracks. There are a few tracks that represent the sense of loss I felt at the death of my Grandmother, as well. The major part of the play list, the last ten songs or so, are almost all about how I felt when I found out that my best friend, who I was starting to fall in love with, was gay. I’ve tried to put the songs in an order that I felt was representative of our relationship, but I think the order really only makes sense to myself. Mixed in there are a few instrumental tracks I like, and a few songs about the sense of loss I felt over friends when I made the jump from high school to college. Overall, I’m rather happy with the list, and only wish I could’ve put a few more tracks on, but I just could not make them fit.

1. Panic! at the Disco - "Time to Dance" - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (3:22)
2. The Offspring - "The Kids Aren't Alright" - Greatest Hits (3:00)
3. Genesis - "Land of Confusion" - Invisible Touch (4:47)
4. Arcade Fire - "Intervention" - Neon Bible (4:19)
5. Bruce Springsteen - "Radio Nowhere" - Magic (3:19)
6. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" - Forty Licks (4:33)
7. Buffalo Springfield - "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield (2:35)
8. Boston - "Peace of Mind" - Boston (5:02)
9. Joy Division - "Atmosphere" - Permanent (4:10)
10. Explosions In The Sky - "Your Hand In Mine" - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (8:18)
11. Tori Amos - "Sleeps With Butterflies" - The Beekeeper (3:40)
12. Kate Bush - "This Woman's Work" - She's Having a Baby (3:36)
13. Bell X1 - "In Every Sunflower" - Music In Mouth (5:46)
14. Madonna - "Live To Tell" - Something To Remember (5:52)
15. Roy Orbison - "She's A Mystery To Me" - The Very Best of Roy Orbison (4:18)
16. David Bowie - "Moss Garden" - Heroes (5:05)
17. Pink Floyd - "Mother" - The Wall [Disc 1] (5:35)
18. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)
19. The White Stripes - "We Are Going to be Friends" - White Blood Cells (2:23)
20. Regina Spektor - "On The Radio" - Begin To Hope (3:22)
21. Jimmy Eat World - "Work" - Futures (3:24)
22. Dave Melilo - "Knights Of The Island Counter" - Talk Is Cheap (3:01)
23. Muse - "Map of the Problematiqué " - Black Holes and Revelations (4:19)
24. The Cure - "Lovesong" - Disintegration (3:27)
25. U2 - "Love Is Blindness" - Achtung Baby (4:23)
26. Peter Gabriel - "Secret World" - Us (7:01)
27. Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence" - Violator (3:32)
28. Snow Patrol - "Make This Go On Forever" - Eyes Open (5:48)
29. Blaqk Audio - "Cities of Night" - Cex Cells (3:48)
30. Shout Out Louds - "You Are Dreaming" - Our Ill Wills (3:29)
31. Blink-182 - "I Miss You" - Blink-182 (3:47)
32. Our Lady Peace - "Somewhere Out There" - A Decade (4:13)
33. The Killers - "Change Your Mind" - Hot Fuss (3:11)
34. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "It'll All Work Out" - Anthology Through The Years (3:12)
35. The Beatles - "Let It Be" - Let It Be (3:51)

Total Runtime: 148:21

Forum name: KhanadaRhodes

I Want To Be With You Baby

1. Crowded House - "Kare Kare" - Together Alone (3:36)
2. INXS - "The Stairs" - X (4:57)
3. Tears For Fears - "Pale Shelter" - The Hurting (4:34)
4. Annie Lennox - "Cold" - Diva (4:22)
5. Roxy Music - "Avalon" - Avalon (4:17)
6. Echo and the Bunnymen - "Seven Seas" - Ocean Rain (3:21)
7. Duran Duran - "Land" - Big Thing (6:12)
8. VHS Or Beta - "The Ocean" - Night on Fire (4:37)
9. Tim Finn - "In A Minor Key" - Escapade (3:47)
10. Japan - "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" - Gentlemen Take Polaroids (7:09)
11. Depeche Mode - "In Your Room" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (6:23)
12. Sting - "They Dance Alone (Ceuca Solo)" - ...Nothing Like The Sun (7:16)
13. Spice Girls - "Viva Forever" - Spiceworld (5:11)
14. U2 - "October" - October (2:21)
15. Split Enz - "Albert of India" - Waiata (4:24)
16. Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (3:13)

Total runtime: 1:15:30

Now I'm Destroyed

1. New Order - "Temptation" - 24 Hour Party People Soundtrack (5:44)
2. Bryan Ferry - "Windswept" - Boys and Girls (4:34)
3. Kate Bush - "Feel It" - The Kick Inside (3:03)
4. Emma Bunton - "You Are" - Free Me (3:48)
5. Erasure - "Chains of Love" - The Innocents (3:44)
6. Fiona Apple - "To Your Love" - When The Pawn... (3:41)
7. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Heart and Soul Two (3:27)
8. Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way" - Rumours (3:40)
9. The Rolling Stones - "Angie" - Goat's Head Soup (4:32)
10. Pet Shop Boys - "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" - Actually (4:23)
11. Phil Collins - "Against All Odds" - Hits (3:25)
12. Liam Finn - "Remember When" - I'll Be Lightning (3:01)
13. The Police - "Every Breath You Take" - Synchronicity (4:14)
14. The Rembrandts - "That's Just The Way It Is, Baby" - The Rembrandts (4:08)
15. David Sylvian - "Some Kind of Fool" - Everything and Nothing (7:31)
16. Arcadia - "Goodbye Is Forever" - Goodbye Is Forever (4:05)
17. Wham! - "Careless Whisper" - Make It Big! (6:33)
18. Stimulator - "My Beautiful Muse" - Stimulator (3:25)

Total runtime: 1:16:50

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Voted for Bono_212. I liked most of the list except for Land of Confusion -- it seems sacreligious to combine that with an Arcade Fire song! KhanadaRhodes list has a lot of great songs as well, but also a few that just aren't my style.

SeattleVertigo said:
Voted for Bono_212. I liked most of the list except for Land of Confusion -- it seems sacreligious to combine that with an Arcade Fire song! KhanadaRhodes list has a lot of great songs as well, but also a few that just aren't my style.

Agree

also not a panic at the disco fan

however, i appreciate the variety on bono_212's list, and overall it was more my style.

I would like to point out, for the record, for like the 20th time :lol: i DO NOT LIKE Panic! (and I really don't like this new panic band either XD) I just like this ONE song...though I know, it's still unforgivable to have them on my list

Okay this is hard. I relate to a lot of artists on Khan's list but overall bono212 has more songs I like. Both have a couple of ballsy picks. :wink: But I like the whole dance music vibe of Khan's list so I'll vote for Khan! :up:

This was a tough choice.

I liked Bono_212's playlist. There were tons of great songs on it. My problem with it with it was the flow was a bit jarring at times. Overall though it flowed quite well. I liked this part a lot:

16. David Bowie - "Moss Garden" - Heroes (5:05)
17. Pink Floyd - "Mother" - The Wall [Disc 1] (5:35)
18. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)

I liked that there was detailed attention to the song choices even without a concept.

There were more songs on Khan's playlist that I liked but I don't vote simply on that. Khan's playlist was fun though it could have used more diversity. I was taken by how many great song choices there were. Like these for example:

5. Roxy Music - "Avalon" - Avalon (4:17)
11. Depeche Mode - "In Your Room" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (6:23)
12. Sting - "They Dance Alone (Ceuca Solo)" - ...Nothing Like The Sun (7:16)
3. Kate Bush - "Feel It" - The Kick Inside (3:03)

To me it came down not to how many songs I liked from each list but from the experience. That is how I think people should vote. Khan had the better experience. I would surely take that on a desert island.

You both did great. Good luck through the tournament. :up:

Woohoo!

Have to go with bono_212 for this one. Both have some very strong songs and sequencing but while Khanada Rhodes starts off better for me bono_212 is more consistent.

I'd been keeping it, but got less and less detailed as it went on.

I think Khan's was a little better executed. There were too many songs, to me, on B212's list that were, more or less, jarring in their placement or just as a song. I think the concepts both were pretty good, though I preferred Khan's a bit.

phillyfan26 said:
I think Khan's was a little better executed. There were too many songs, to me, on B212's list that were, more or less, jarring in their placement or just as a song. I think the concepts both were pretty good, though I preferred Khan's a bit.

I agree, but I enjoyed both of their song choices pretty evenly.

Almost a coin flip, but I've gotta go with Khan here. :up:

bono_212 has some excellent songs on her list, such as Bruce, Explosions, PT, Floyd, etc. I do have to agree with Screwtape regarding how some of the songs didn't work well from one to the next, though.

Khan's playlist is excellent. I do think a little more variety in genres would have made it even better, but it's no secret how much I like a lot of those artists, and thematically, the songs flowed beautifully from one to the next.

So Khan gets my vote here.

This isn't an easy choice, but I went with Bono_212. It's a really great list for the most part with a few moments I didn't like that much and the flow wasn't perfect. Khan's list was great too, full of poptastic goodness but Bono_212's edges out slightly.

Great match so far. I went with bono_212, because outside of some questionable song choices and weaker sequencing, there are some amazing songs on her list, while Khan's really doesn't contain very many songs I am truly crazy about. Plus, I simply refuse to defend that Viva Forever--->October segue. :tongue:

Voted for Khan. Her playlist was a good bit different compared to a number of others in the competition, providing a more unique listening experience. Only person also that i've ever seen use a VHS or Beta song (which she has for a few of these Desert Island comps) and they are a pretty cool band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom