Desert Island IV Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Lara Mullen

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • phanan

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the tourist said:

There could be one in between. :shrug:

It's not like you listen to them anyway.

We could just stick with the usual 20 votes per match, sure. If that's what you mean by in between. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

We could just stick with the usual 20 votes per match, sure. If that's what you mean by in between. :wink:

What's wrong with 20 votes per match?

LemonMelon said:

Have you actually looked at the vote count for any earlier DI matches?

No. But I did listen to every playlist in the one I competed in. :wink:

the tourist said:

No. But I did listen to every playlist in the one I competed in. :wink:

That's always a good idea when you hardly recognize anything on people's lists. :up: :wink:

Previous DI tournaments had 40+ votes at times. This tournament was a failure in that department.

LemonMelon said:

That's always a good idea when you hardly recognize anything on people's lists. :up: :wink:

Previous DI tournaments had 40+ votes at times. This tournament was a failure in that department.

I think a lot of people who were actually in on it were peculiarly vacant.

It's a toughie, but I'm going to have to go with Lara's as I could see myself playing it more. Good stuff though Phanan and thanks for organising this tourney :up:

LemonMelon said:

I disagree. If you go back and look at DI3, we had about the same amount of people voting.

And realistically, that's all you could ask for. The people voting every time have been involved from the start, either as a participant or a listener. I'd rather have only 20 votes per match from those people than 40 or so where half most likely didn't listen to anything.

OK, to address two things.

The next tournament
I support Andrew's timeframe, and if I were premium or go premium very soon, that's precisely what would happen. A lot of people are already set to go, we have over a month's downtime anyway, and interest has been good. I think this edition has been a success. I was reluctant for this edition to go ahead because I feared we would not even get ten votes per round. We've been breaking twenty, so I think that's good. The only thing that puzzles me is how many contestants have been absent.

Critic's Choice
I'll go ahead and organise this. I would like some suggestions for categories though. Here's some of my own, and before I make an official ballot, I'd like to see if people think any of these should be cut or have suggestions for extra categories.

- Best overall tracklist
- Best flow AND/OR Best atmosphere (not sure which; I feel they're probably too similar to do both)
- Best song selection
- Best cover art
- Best concept
- Most creative

Voters would nominate 3 people for each category.

I would wait until mid-July instead of June.

We just did this whole thing, from the launch of the sign-up thread to this final, in under two months. If we gear up again in mid-July, we'll be over by mid-September easily. I think that's the perfect window.

As for the categories, I like all the ones you've listed so far, except for Best overall tracklist. I don't see what the point of that one is, because we've just gone through and voted for it.

I'd be happy with mid-July.

Best Playlist was on the ballot last time. But I see your point. Anybody else want it cut?

One from last time that I forgot to include above: Most Diverse.

Axver said:
OK, to address two things.

The next tournament
I support Andrew's timeframe, and if I were premium or go premium very soon, that's precisely what would happen. A lot of people are already set to go, we have over a month's downtime anyway, and interest has been good. I think this edition has been a success. I was reluctant for this edition to go ahead because I feared we would not even get ten votes per round. We've been breaking twenty, so I think that's good. The only thing that puzzles me is how many contestants have been absent.

Critic's Choice
I'll go ahead and organise this. I would like some suggestions for categories though. Here's some of my own, and before I make an official ballot, I'd like to see if people think any of these should be cut or have suggestions for extra categories.

- Best overall tracklist
- Best flow AND/OR Best atmosphere (not sure which; I feel they're probably too similar to do both)
- Best song selection
- Best cover art
- Best concept
- Most creative

Voters would nominate 3 people for each category.

I agree with you, Ax. I'd also like to suggest Most Entertaining or Most Diverse, or is that too close to creative? Keep it simple and it's totally cool with me.

About the next tourney, I think there should be a thread in OOC established for discussion of the lists. It'll help promote listening to them and general interest, plus it won't leak into the superthreads anymore.

The time frame's cool with me, but doing it later on around L-Mel's suggestion works here, too.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The time frame's cool with me, but doing it later on around L-Mel's suggestion works here, too.

Nah, people will be too busy listening to an album that isn't out yet to make a DI list.

Also, this is probably a minor issue, but I feel that too much emphasis is being put on certain aspects of people's lists instead of the overall thing (emphasis on a concept, for example). It's how people vote, and it'd be wrong to change that, but I feel it puts the lists at a disadvantage because of that little oversight. If you like listening to the list, then vote for it, don't try and mask it in some false rhetoric and bullshit in order to make yourself sound more intelligent.

Again, it's not something I'm expecting anyone to fix, but I just wanted to get that off of my chest.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Also, this is probably a minor issue, but I feel that too much emphasis is being put on certain aspects of people's lists instead of the overall thing (emphasis on a concept, for example). It's how people vote, and it'd be wrong to change that, but I feel it puts the lists at a disadvantage because of that little oversight. If you like listening to the list, then vote for it, don't try and mask it in some false rhetoric and bullshit in order to make yourself sound more intelligent.

Well said! :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
If you like listening to the list, then vote for it, don't try and mask it in some false rhetoric and bullshit in order to make yourself sound more intelligent.

I definitely thought I'd be out very quickly because of the lack of concept but the two playlists in the final don't have one. I guess it does come down to the music for most people. I only vote based on the music anyway.

Lara Mullen said:

I definitely thought I'd be out very quickly because of the lack of concept but the two playlists in the final don't have one. I guess it does come down to the music for most people. I only vote based on the music anyway.

I told you guys that like a month ago. :grumpy:

Concepts don't get you votes. They get you praise from a few people who can only vote for you once.

LemonMelon said:
I told you guys that like a month ago. :grumpy:

I remember you saying that before I even submitted my list, Mr Melon. :yes:

Lara Mullen said:

As it should.

I ask myself this as I vote:

- Do I like the music?
- Is this something I'd revisit in the future?
- How's it put together? Does the music go together well?
- How diverse are the song choices?

The first one is the most important, of course, but the rest have some importance in the grand scheme of things.

Do you all do a similar thing?

Lara Mullen said:

I remember you saying that before I even submitted my list, Mr Melon. :yes:

And this result...for the fourth year in a row...confirms it.

Don't obsess over concepts, people. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

- Do I like the music?

This is superfluous.

LemonMelon said:

And this result...for the fourth year in a row...confirms it.

Don't obsess over concepts, people. :up:

The final results do show that, but some people get screwed at the beginning because others put emphasis on that in earlier rounds.

LemonMacPhisto said:

As it should.

- Do I like the music?

The first one is the most important, of course, but the rest have some importance in the grand scheme of things.

I think all four of those are important when deciding who to vote for. A diverse and well put together playlist will always get high marks from me.

LemonMacPhisto said:

As it should.

- Do I like the music?

:up:

Yes.

I try and listen to as much of each list as possible. Some lists I've looked at and reckoned I wouldn't like some songs because I thought I didn't like the band. In some cases it turns out I really enjoyed some of the music. I'm still not that big on Sigur Ros but the music is quite beautiful, especially in that hoppipollaloppalpoapo song that phanan has, (still don't like the singing so much, sorry :lol: ). It fits well into his playlist.

Lara Mullen said:

:up:

Yes.

I try and listen to as much of each list as possible. Some lists I've looked at and reckoned I wouldn't like some songs because I thought I didn't like the band. In some cases it turns out I really enjoyed some of the music. I'm still not that big on Sigur Ros but the music is quite beautiful, especially in that hoppipollaloppalpoapo song that phanan has, (still don't like the singing so much, sorry :lol: ). It fits well into his playlist.

Sometimes the context makes up for not liking the song at first. Death metal is the exception, however. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Sometimes the context makes up for not liking the song at first. Death metal is the exception, however. :wink:

Songs about the melting ice caps can never be forgiven.

Lara Mullen said:

Haha same here! Whatever I've heard of Sigor Ros, I've found it really boring except for that Hoppipola (or however you spell it, lol) song on Phanan's list. Man, there was some great instrumental stuff on his list! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom