Desert Island III Album Game: Third Place Match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• inmyplace13

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Screwtape2

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third place match of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The final has been decided and will commence following the conclusion of this third place match.

In the first semifinal, phanan defeated inmyplace13, 11-6, while LemonMacPhisto took out Screwtape2 in the second one, 12-8.

Updated figures for our two players in this heat:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference

inmyplace13: 15, 5, 1, 70, 50, +20.
Screwtape2: 9, 3, 3, 0, 58, 68, -10.

Screwtape2 would have to win this match outright to capture 3rd place. Otherwise, it will be awarded to inmyplace13.

Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: inmyplace13

"Rhetoric of Place"

The past two incarnations of the Desert Island game have managed to make the
concept one of my favorite parts of Interference. I always enjoy seeing what
people have been listening to, who can create the best flows, themes, and
moods. I’ve never seen the competition as an attempt to make a playlist that
absolutely defines each era, genre, and artist to a tee. To me, this takes away
a level of personalization that comes when each playlist is uniquely your own.

"Rhetoric of Place" is a playlist that is entirely indicative of how I’m feeling
and what I’m listening to right now. I certainly hope you find something new or
reacquaint yourself with a lost love in the process of listening to it. At the
very least, I hope you enjoy some part of it, as I feel there is a little
something for everyone in it. If it goes deep in the competition, great. If it
fizzles out, that’s fine too. Whatever happens. If we’re still speaking. Pick
up the phone. Play me this song.

Disc 1:

1. Explosions in the Sky – “The Birth and Death of the Day” – All of a Sudden I
Miss Everyone (7:49)
2. The Arcade Fire – “No Cars Go” – Neon Bible (5:43)
3. The National – “Fake Empire” – Boxer (3:27)
4. U2 – “The Unforgettable Fire” – The Unforgettable Fire (4:55)
5. Death Cab For Cutie – “Passenger Seat” – Transatlanticism (3:41)
6. The Beatles – “Here Comes the Sun” – Abbey Road (3:05)
7. Beck – “Guess I’m Doing Fine” – Sea Change (4:49)
8. Cat Power – “Lived In Bars” – The Greatest (3:43)
9. Grizzly Bear – “Knife” – Yellow House (5:14)
10. Do Make Say Think – “Ontario Plates” – Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
(7:02)
11. The Rolling Stones – “Tumbling Dice” – Forty Licks (3:46)
12. Broken Social Scene – “7/4 Shoreline” – Broken Social Scene (4:53)
13. The White Stripes – “Ball & Biscuit” – Elephant (7:18)
14. Bob Dylan – “Subterranean Homesick Blues” – Bringing It All Back Home (2:24)
15. Bright Eyes – “Tourist Trap” – Four Winds EP (5:44)
16. Nick Drake – “Horn” – Pink Moon (1:23)
17. Imogen Heap – “Hide & Seek” – Speak for Yourself (4:28)

Total runtime: 1:19:24

Disc 2:

1. Okkervil River – “Maine Island Lovers” – Down the River of Golden Dreams
(4:51)
2. Sigur Rós – “Glósóli” – Takk… (6:15)
3. Secret Machines – “Alone, Jealous, & Stoned” – Ten Silver Drops (6:46)
4. Thom Yorke – “Cymbal Rush” – The Eraser (5:14)
5. The Flaming Lips – “Feeling Yourself Disintegrate” – The Soft Bulletin
(5:17)
6. Ray LaMontagne – “Empty” – Till the Sun Turns Black (5:17)
7. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – “Mockingbirdsing” – Cold Roses (4:47)
8. Feist – “Past in Present” – The Reminder (2:54)
9. Spoon – “The Way We Get By” – Kill the Moonlight (2:41)
10. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – “Details of the War” – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
(3:30)
11. Coldplay – “Spies” - Parachutes (5:18)
12. Pink Floyd – “A Pillow of Winds” – Meddle (5:11)
13. Whiskeytown – “Jacksonville Skyline” – Pneumonia (3:01)
14. Andrew Bird – “The Supine” – Armchair Apocrypha (0:59)
15. Wilco – “Poor Places” – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (5:18)
16. Radiohead – “A Reminder” – Airbag/How Am I Driving? EP (3:51)
17. LCD Soundsystem – “All My Friends” – Sound of Silver (7:37)

Total runtime: 1:18:48

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

UP NEXT: FINAL - phanan vs. LemonMacPhisto

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Screwtape2 said:

So does the final start then as well or on Sunday?

By the way, I've tallyed the awards would you like me to send you the results and do you want to do the wrap-up thread or would like me to do it?

You probably saw the answer in the intro to this thread, but the final will start Sunday night after this one ends. I think the final should run on its own. It will also go for 48 hours.

I'm fine either way with how you want to do the awards, but since you've been doing all the work compiling the results and everything, perhaps you'd like to do the last thread yourself.

:)

Got to be Screwtape on this one. He should have made the final. He should have won.

impster's is still my favorite but both deserve as much props as humanly possible.

i wish it were a tie.

Both of these playlists are clearly in the Top Five for me, and deserve to have gotten this far.

As a whole, I think imp13's playlist is slightly stronger, although Screwtape2's second part is incredible. If I liked the first part more, it probably would have been my pick to win it all.

So imp13 for me.

It was such an even match, but I had to go with Imp.

Pure brilliance all around.

Very unfortunate seeding. Judging from the results of the LMP/imp match, I would say impy got the short end of the stick, but I'm glad he got some recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom