Desert Island III Album Game: Semifinal, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Screwtape2

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second of two semifinal heats of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Our second semifinal is now set, but it was really tough. Screwtape2, who had fallen behind at one point, came back to beat LemonMelon in a stunning upset, 14-13, while in the other heat, LemonMacPhisto and edge_2125 finished in an 11-11 tie. As a result of the tie, both earned two points for the draw. However, heading into the match, LMP had one more overall point than edge, and therefore retained that lead with the draw (point difference is 12-11).

Updated figures for our two semifinalists in this heat:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference

Screwtape2: 9, 3, 2, 0, 50, 56, -6.
LemonMacPhisto: 12, 3, 1, 1, 50, 41, +9.

Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Since this competition is more artistically slanted, I changed my approach to making this playlist. This playlist is structured to work as an entire body of work, two halves, or four mini-lists (or Acts. if you will), all with openers and closers, unique moods, flow, and whatever kicks ass. It was hard this time around sacrificing somewhat superior songs for other mood-enhancing, still great tracks. That being said, here’s the deal on everything. I really wanted to create a cinematic experience with this list, which feature songs from some of my favorite movies. I was also inspired greatly by Pink Floyd’s epic “Dark Side of the Moon” in how to create a list of songs that can work as an album and by themselves and also by Passengers, and how the music acts to scores for fictional films. As the list develops, the tone may change from song to song or fade into each other as one moving piece. The format is like an iPod format, but it’s structured like a mixtape, I just didn’t want to deal with the time constraints. They’re a bitch.

The transitions between the songs are important here, both musically and lyrically. Lyrical bits in some tracks might be mentioned again in another, if you listen for it you’ll catch it (“Sunken Treasure” to “Nobody Home” is a good example.) Ah, I shouldn’t have to explain all this, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when you listen to all of this. I hope you all enjoy my playlist and especially everyone else’s, and from me, LMP, to you, I just want to thank you for listening to me and letting me be a part of your life today. Because you’ve got a good life! …You got a good life! Sorry, I couldn’t resist the Prison Mike ref, have fun listening!

(Section 1: Nothing’s Gonna Change My World)
1. Sigur Rós - “Starálfur” - Agaetis byrjun (6:47)
2. Sufjan Stevens - “Chicago” - Illinois (6:04)
3. Ray Charles - “What’d I Say? (Parts 1 & 2)” - What’d I Say - Single (5:07)
4. Jackie Wilson - “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” - Higher and Higher (2:53)
5. The Velvet Underground - “Sweet Jane” - Loaded (4:07)
6. Bob Dylan - “The Man in Me” - New Morning (3:07)
7. Cat Stevens - “Tea for the Tillerman” - Tea for the Tillerman (1:03)
8. Bono, Brian Eno, L'Orchestra Filarmonica Di Torino, Michael Kamen & The Edge - “One” - Pavarotti and Friends (5:19)
9. Rufus Wainwright - “Agnus Dei” - Want Two (5:45)
10. The Beatles - “Across the Universe” - No One’s Gonna Change Our World (3:49)

(Section 2: A Quick One)
11. LCD Soundsystem - “All My Friends” - Sound of Silver (7:37)
12. The Bravery - “Public Service Announcement” - The Bravery (3:35)
13. The Flaming Lips - “Race for the Prize (Sacrifice of the New Scientists)” - The Soft Bulletin (4:08)
14. Blind Melon - “No Rain” - Blind Melon (3:39)
15. Queen - “You’re My Best Friend” - A Night at the Opera (2:53)
16. The White Stripes - “Rag & Bone” - Icky Thump (3:48)
17. The Who - “A Quick One, While He’s Away” - A Quick One (8:40)

(Section 2: Exitlude / Section 3: Interlude)
18. The Zombies - “The Way I Feel Inside” - Begin Here (1:27)

(Section 3: The Great Escape)
19. The Shins - “Sleeping Lessons” - Wincing the Night Away (3:58)
20. Arcade Fire - “Keep the Car Running” - Neon Bible (3:29)
21. Bright Eyes - “Four Winds” - Cassadaga (4:16)
22. The New Radicals - “Someday We’ll Know” - Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (3:37)
23. Oasis - “Guess God Thinks I’m Abel” - Don’t Believe the Truth (3:24)
24. Wilco - “Sunken Treasure” - Being There (6:51)
25. Pink Floyd - “Nobody Home” - The Wall (3:11)
26. David Bowie - “Life on Mars?” - Hunky Dory (3:54)
27. Radiohead - “Life in a Glasshouse” - Amnesiac (4:34)

(Section 4: It Makes Me Wonder)
28. Explosions in the Sky - “The Birth and Death of the Day” - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:49)
29. Smashing Pumpkins - “Stand Inside Your Love” - MACHINA / The Machines of God (4:11)
30. Modern English - “I Melt with You” - After the Snow (3:48)
31. Bruce Springsteen - “It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City (Acoustic) - Tracks (2:55)
32. The Rolling Stones - “Gimme Shelter” - Let It Bleed (4:34)
33. Andrew Bird - “Armchairs” - Armchair Apochrypha (6:57)
34. Nick Drake - “River Man” - Five Leaves Left (4:15)
35. Led Zeppelin - “Stairway to Heaven” - Led Zeppelin IV (8:00)

Total time: 2:39:31

UP NEXT: Third Place Game

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Damn, I can't believe I lost. :(

Well, anyway, I've got to vote LMP here based on taste alone, though Screwtape's list is more creative, unique, and interesting.

This tournament continues to surprise. Screwtape comes back to win last round, and now he's going to have to do the same here.

I've already commented on what I like and don't like from these two playlists. But the part I like about Screwtape's (Nightflight) is more than the best portions of LMP's list, so I'm going with Screwtape here.

Screwtape's list is the shit. Easily tied for my favorite along with two others, I've already said why on numerous occasions.

Little Jimmy Scott ftw.

I don't really know why this is such a blowout. I would think LMP and I would probably be neck-and-neck right now.

I guess it's because it has more to do with the contrast between the two playlists than raw mathematics. Or, perhaps, it's just the tastes of the people that are on today versus yesterday. It's entirely possible that I would have won if the match had happened today. But it's all water under the bridge now. :wink:

I voted for Screwtape, but it was a tough decision for me. Both of these lists are well thought out and carefully assembled, on top of being really good. I think whoever wins this round will get my vote in the finals.

Screwtape2 said:
Great match LemonMacPhisto! You have a deserving list. Good luck in the finals. :)

Thank you, good sir. Good luck in the 3rd place round.

phanan said:
FYI - the third place game probably won't start until tonight.

I guess it's no surprise that LMP is in the final again. Talk about consistency!

So does the final start then as well or on Sunday?

By the way, I've tallyed the awards would you like me to send you the results and do you want to do the wrap-up thread or would like me to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom