Desert Island III Album Game: Round 5, Heat 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• corianderstem

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Zootlesque

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh and final heat of the fifth round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Here are our up-to-date standings (through Round 5, Heat 3):

Group 1

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
*phanan: 12, 4, 0, 54, 26, +28.
*Screwtape2: 6, 2, 2, 36, 43, -7.
U2vertigofly: 3, 1, 3, 31, 49, -18.
Lancemc: 2, 0, 4, 22, 58, -36.

Group 2

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
*LemonMelon: 11, 3, 0, 1, 50, 32, +18.
*PlaTheGreat: 10, 3, 1, 0, 53, 28, +25.
angelordevil: 9, 2, 1, 1, 44, 30, +13.
AtomicBono: 3, 1, 3, 0, 33, 48, -15.
Bonos_Lemon: 0, 0, 4, 0, 17, 59, -42.

Group 3

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
*inmyplace13: 9, 3, 0, 42, 21, +21.
*LemonMacPhisto: 9, 3, 0, 33, 21, +12.
KhanadaRhodes: 5, 1, 2, 32, 33, -1.
LJT: 4, 1, 3, 30, 45, -15.
Axver: 2, 0, 3, 22, 39, -17.

Group 4

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
BonoIsMyMuse: 8, 2, 0, 1, 32, 24, +8.
Lila64: 8, 2, 2, 0, 40, 38, +2.
edge_2125: 6, 2, 1, 0, 33, 33, 0.
Zootlesque: 4, 1, 2, 0, 27, 32, -5.
corianderstem: 4, 0, 2, 1, 26, 31, -5.

*qualified for quarterfinals

We've come to the last heat in the last round before the quarterfinals begin, with corianderstem squaring off against Zootlesque. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: corianderstem

I wanted to go for something that showed a little bit of my personality, and a mix I’m likely to listen to when I take a day trip in the summer. Maybe I’m going to the ocean, maybe I’m going to Mt. Rainier. Whatever it is, it has to be upbeat, cranked loud on the stereo and great to sing along to – there’s nothing like a road trip on a sunny day, windows down, stereo blaring, zooming down the open road! We start off with some good power pop/rock with a bit of oomph, guaranteed to rev me up. Throw in some quality dance pop (including one brilliantly silly ditty), a funky dance break, back around to power pop … and then as we return from our road trip, the sun is setting and it’s time to relax in the warm night air, maybe with a cold beer. The songs mellow out a bit, and then as the last song begins, the crickets are chirping, the last light leaves the sky, and all is right with the world.

“Corianderstem’s Summer In Seattle”

1. New Radicals – “Mother We Just Can’t Get Enough” – Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (5:45)
2. Matthew Sweet – “Girlfriend” – Girlfriend (3:40)
3. Semisonic – “Singing In My Sleep” – Feeling Strangely Fine (4:30)
4. The Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies)” – Funeral (5:10)
5. The Velvet Underground – “Rock & Roll” – Loaded (4:45)
6. The Rolling Stones – “Brown Sugar” – Forty Licks (3:49)
7. Supergrass – “Sun Hits the Sky” – Supergrass Is 10: The Best of 94-04 (4:53)
8. Dandy Warhols – “Bohemian Like You” – Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia (3:33)
9. The Talking Heads – “Burning Down the House (live)” – Stop Making Sense (4:09)
10. INXS – “Don’t Change” – Best of INXS (4:25)
11. The Pixies – “Head On” – Trompe Le Monde (2:16)
12. Sinead O’Connor – “No Man’s Woman” – Faith and Courage (3:01)
13. Liz Phair – “Extraordinary” – Liz Phair (3:24)
14. The Bangles – “Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)” – Doll Revolution (3:57)
15. Kylie Minogue – “Come Into My World (Fischerspooner Remix)” – Come Into My World (single) (4:11)
16. Sugababes – “Freak Like Me” – Angels With Dirty Faces (3:16)
17. Robyn – “Konichiwa Bitches” – Robyn (2:38)
18. Earth Wind & Fire – “September” – Earth Wind and Fire: Greatest Hits (3:34)
19. Stevie Wonder – “Higher Ground” – Definitive Collection (3:11)
20. Junior Walker & The All Stars – “Shotgun” – The Motown Story, Volume 1: The 1960s (4:11)
21. The Beatles – “And Your Bird Can Sing” – Revolver (2:01)
22. Nerina Pallot – “Everybody’s Gone To War” – Fires (3:54)
23. R.E.M. – “Imitation of Life” – Reveal (3:56)
24. The Pernice Brothers – “The Weakest Shade of Blue” – Yours, Mine, Ours (3:08)
25. The Beach Boys – “Don’t Worry Baby” – Summer Crush (2:51)
26. The Long Winters – “Cinnamon” – When I Pretend to Fall (4:13)
27. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “California Stars” – Mermaid Avenue (4:58)
28. The Finn Brothers – “Won’t Give In” – Everyone Is Here (4:17)
29. The Cardigans – “You’re the Storm” – Long Gone Before Daylight (3:53)
30. Texas – “Saint” – The Hush (4:47)
31. Emm Gryner – “Almighty Love” – Summer of High Hopes (3:54)
32. Cat Power – “The Greatest” – The Greatest (3:22)
33. Emmylou Harris – “Sweet Old World” – Wrecking Ball (5:05)
34. Ryan Adams – “Wonderwall” – Love Is Hell, Pt 1. (4:09)
35. Sun Kil Moon – “Carry Me Ohio” – Ghosts of the Great Highway (6:21)
36. Mary Chapin Carpenter – “I Am a Town” – Come On Come On (5:06)
37. Simon & Garfunkel – “America” – Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits (3:33)
38. Santo and Johnny – “Sleepwalk” – The Best of Santo and Johnny (2:25)
39. Cassandra Wilson – “Harvest Moon” – New Moon Daughter (5:01)

Total Runtime: 2:35:23

Forum name: Zootlesque

Behind closed eyes. With headphones on. That is how you experience the beauty of these songs. I went out of my way to pick the most gorgeous songs that exist in my itunes. I didn’t want to make it a testosterone filled rock fest so you’ll find a generous helping of pop and other music too. And since one of the main objectives of this contest is to expose others to new music, I did not choose the most popular songs or bands. Also, I hope you’re all open-minded when listening to this album because more often than not, you may not hear what you normally expect from some of these artists. For example, if you hate Oasis because of Liam’s nasally yell, you’re in for a surprise. Enjoy!

BEHIND CLOSED EYES:

DISC 1

1. Björk – “Joga” – Homogenic (5:04)
2. Pink Floyd – “Marooned” – The Division Bell (5:28)
3. Led Zeppelin – “Tangerine” – Led Zeppelin III (3:10)
4. The Doors – “Waiting For The Sun” – Morrison Hotel (3:59)
5. The Byrds – “Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) – Forrest Gump (Original Soundtrack) (3:54)
6. Pearl Jam – “In Hiding” – Yield (5:00)
7. R.E.M. – “The Great Beyond [Edit]” – The Great Beyond (Single) (4:13)
8. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – “Learning To Fly” – Greatest Hits (4:01)
9. Oasis – “Little By Little” – Heathen Chemistry (4:05)
10. U2 – “Staring At The Sun” – Pop (4:36)
11. Radiohead – “(Nice Dream)” – The Bends (3:53)
12. Elton John – “The One” – The One (5:55)
13. Kate Bush – “The Fog” – The Sensual World (5:10)
14. Tori Amos – “China” – Little Earthquakes (5:02)
15. The Eagles – “Desperado” – The Very Best Of The Eagles (3:33)
16. Dire Straits – “Brothers In Arms” – Sultans Of Swing (Very Best Of) (4:55)
17. Sting – “Fragile” – Fields Of Gold: The Best Of Sting (3:53)
18. Crowded House – “Don’t Dream It’s Over” – Recurring Dream: The Very Best Of (4:00)

Total runtime: 79:51

DISC 2

1. Muse – “Map Of The Problematique” – Black Holes & Revelations (4:18)
2. Soundgarden – “The Day I Tried To Live” – Superunknown (5:19)
3. Smashing Pumpkins – “Hummer” – Siamese Dream (6:57)
4. Keane – “A Bad Dream” – Under The Iron Sea (5:06)
5. Don Henley – “Boys Of Summer” – Building The Perfect Beast (4:55)
6. Alannah Myles – “Black Velvet” – Alannah Myles (4:54)
7. Madonna – “Live To Tell” – True Blue (5:52)
8. Tasmin Archer – “Sleeping Satellite” – Great Expectations (4:39)
9. ABBA – “Eagle” – More Gold (4:26)
10. Shaan – “Tanha Dil” – Tanha Dil {translates to “lonely heart”} (4:53)
11. Kula Shaker – “Tattva” – K (3:46)
12. Daft Punk – “Digital Love” – Discovery (4:58)
13. Blur – “The Universal” – The Best Of (4:00)
14. Duncan Sheik – “Wishful Thinking” – Great Expectations (Original Soundtrack) (4:24)
15. Passengers – “Miss Sarajevo” – Original Soundtracks 1 (5:42)
16. The Beatles – “Free As A Bird” – Anthology 1 (4:26)

Total runtime: 78:35

UP NEXT: phanan vs. PlaTheGreat

Competition master list.

Have fun!

I think Group 4 has proved the wisdom of the group system - and been the ultimate group of death. Just look at cori - she may not have a win to her name, but she has taken points from every match and is equal with Zootles, who has won a heat. It's amazing that if cori were to win this heat, she would come within a single point of making the quarters despite entering this round in last place.

Technically, BonoIsMyMuse was already qualified for the quarters, now that I look at it more closely. Even if there was a loss in this round and no points given, BIMM would have the edge over Lila due to a better record (2-1-1 vs. 2-2).

So put simply, if edge_2125 wins in this round, it's an automatic birth in the quarters. Anything less than that, and Lila advances instead.

ETA: Actually, I need to correct myself again. Even if it's a draw, edge would advance based on a better record over Lila (2-1-1 vs. 2-2).

Last edited:
So everyone understands, seeding is based on the following:

1. Number of points won.
2. If two or more players have the same amount of points, the one with the better overall record is seeded higher.
3. If two or more players have the same amount of points and identical records, the player with the better vote differential is seeded higher.
4. If two or more players have the same amount of points, identical records, and the same vote differential, the player with a better head-to-head record is seeded higher.

phanan said:

1. Number of points won.
2. If two or more players have the same amount of points, the one with the better overall record is seeded higher.
3. If two or more players have the same amount of points and identical records, the player with the better vote differential is seeded higher.

Do you mean quarterfinal seeding or tiebreakers?

phanan said:

1. Number of points won.
4. If two or more players have the same amount of points, identical records, and the same vote differential, the player with a better head-to-head record is seeded higher.

There is one little problem. You and I would meet for the third straight match. Is there a way of changing that because than we getting VERY repetitive. Perhaps we could make sure that two from the same group aren't in the same side of the playoff bracket? It would keep repetitive matches from happening in the playoffs.

I totally don't understand how this all works. I didn't realize I'd be up in another match!

Uh ... I voted for myself. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

There is one little problem. You and I would meet for the third straight match. Is there a way of changing that because than we getting VERY repetitive. Perhaps we could make sure that two from the same group aren't in the same side of the playoff bracket? It would keep repetitive matches from happening in the playoffs.

Since this is based on the world cup format, that won't happen. I know I didn't go into specifics after the quarterfinals, but this is the way it would go:

Quarterfinals
Heat 1: Group 1 1st place vs. Group 2 2nd place
Heat 2: Group 2 1st place vs. Group 1 2nd place
Heat 3: Group 3 1st place vs. Group 4 2nd place
Heat 4: Group 4 1st place vs. Group 3 2nd place

Semifinals
Heat 1 winner vs. Heat 3 winner
Heat 2 winner vs. Heat 4 winner

Then the final and third place games.

corianderstem said:
I totally don't understand how this all works. I didn't realize I'd be up in another match!

Uh ... I voted for myself. :wink:

:lol:

Quite simply, we had four groups. Each person had a heat against everyone in their own group, and the Top Two advanced.

Think of it in baseball terms, since I know you're a Mariners fan. The five rounds were the regular season, and now we'll be moving into the playoffs.

:wink:

phanan said:

Since this is based on the world cup format, that won't happen. I know I didn't go into specifics after the quarterfinals, but this is the way it would go:

Quarterfinals
Heat 1: Group 1 1st place vs. Group 2 2nd place
Heat 2: Group 2 1st place vs. Group 1 2nd place
Heat 3: Group 3 1st place vs. Group 4 2nd place
Heat 4: Group 4 1st place vs. Group 3 2nd place

Semifinals
Heat 1 winner vs. Heat 3 winner
Heat 2 winner vs. Heat 4 winner

Then the final and third place games.

:scratch: Then where does the seeding come in?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The top two in each group advance, as #1 and #2 seeds, respectively. How those people achieved those seeds in each group is described in the process I posted previously, including scenarios in the event of tiebreakers.

The quarters then begin. The winner of each quarterfinal moves on. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaking system will be used.

Does that make more sense?

phanan said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

The top two in each group advance, as #1 and #2 seeds, respectively. How those people achieved those seeds in each group is described in the process I posted previously, including scenarios in the event of tiebreakers.

The quarters then begin. The winner of each quarterfinal moves on. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaking system will be used.

Does that make more sense?

Nevermind. You confused me when you were talking about seeding. I asked if you meant quarterfinal seeding or tiebreakers and you said both. That made me wonder if you were just going to seed the advancers 1-8 depending on point. Again, nevermind. :)

The quarterfinals are set:

Heat 1: phanan vs. PlaTheGreat
Heat 2: LemonMelon vs. Screwtape2
Heat 3: inmyplace13 vs. BonoIsMyMuse
Heat 4: edge_2125 vs. LemonMacPhisto

I won't be able to start these tonight, however. Look for them at some point in the late morning tomorrow (EST).

Good luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom