Desert Island III Album Game: Round 3, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Screwtape2

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • phanan

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the third round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

In Heat 5 of Round 2, inmyplace13 held on to beat KhanadaRhodes, 12-10 (includes Khanada's vote). Khan will still receive one point for finishing within four votes.

Current standings will be displayed in the Heat 4 thread of Round 3.

To start off Round 3, we have Screwtape2 going against phanan in a battle of unbeatens. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

Forum name: phanan

Connections

I tend to view my playlist as a book of short stories, each one different from
the next, but having an overall theme of connections between people and how
those connections impact their lives. From soldiers to models, or from lovers
to friends, these songs produce a snapshot of how different people handle things
in their own, unique way, yet together they show how strong those connections
can be.

Enjoy!

1. Moby - "Hymn" - Everything Is Wrong (3:17)
2. Gorillaz - "Last Living Souls" - Demon Days (3:11)
3. Royksopp - "Remind Me (Someone Else's Mix) - Melody A.M. (Bonus Disc) (3:41)
4. Kraftwerk - "The Model" - The Man Machine (3:40)
5. INXS - "The Stairs" - X (4:57)
6. Crowded House - "World Where You Live" - Crowded House (3:05)
7. The Beatles - "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" - Help! (2:08)
8. Blur - "The Universal" - The Best Of Blur (3:59)
9. Snow Patrol - "Chocolate" - Final Straw (3:11)
10. Mew - "Snow Brigade" - Frengers (4:20)
11. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Seven Seas" - Ocean Rain (3:20)
12. Coldplay - "Sleeping Sun" - Talk single (3:08)
13. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:38)
14. Anathema - "Anyone, Anywhere" - Judgement (4:51)
15. Elton John - "Talking Old Soldiers" - Tumbleweed Connection (4:05)
16. Dire Straits - "The Man's Too Strong" - Brothers In Arms (4:39)
17. The Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:29)
18. Guster - "Barrel Of A Gun" - Lost And Gone Forever (3:12)
19. Fleetwood Mac - "Never Going Back Again" - Rumours (2:15)
20. Led Zeppelin - "Bron-Yr-Aur" - Physical Graffiti (2:07)
21. Bruce Springsteen - "Shut Out The Light" - Tracks (3:53)
22. Editors - "All Sparks" - The Back Room (3:33)
23. The Samples - "Everytime" - The Last Drag (4:19)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)
25. Mute Math - "Control" - Reset EP (4:37)
26. Interpol - "C'mere" - Antics (3:12)
27. Stars - "Ageless Beauty" - Set Yourself On Fire (4:05)
28. The White Stripes - "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)" -
Icky Thump (3:54)
29. The Rolling Stones - "Street Fighting Man" - Beggars Banquet (3:15)
30. The Who - "Behind Blue Eyes" - Who's Next (3:41)
31. Pink Floyd - "Hey You" - The Wall (4:41)
32. Radiohead - "Let Down" - OK Computer (5:00)
33. U2 - "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" - Million Dollar Hotel (3:44)
34. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Exact Colour" - The Dark Third (4:04)
35. The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up (4:27)
36. Yes - "Evensong" - Union (0:52)
37. Slowdive - "Machine Gun" - Souvlaki (4:27)
38. Sigur Ros - "Refur" - Saeglopur (2:43)
39. Passengers - "Slug" - Original Soundracks I (4:42)
40. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:17)
41. R.E.M. - "Find The River" - Automatic For The People (3:50)
42. Alcest - "Tir Nan Og" - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (6:10)
Total time: 2:38:55

UP NEXT: Lancemc vs. U2vertigofly

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Screwtape's list is absolutely amazing, especially for the flow! But Phanan's list is just unbelievably awesome! Phanan gets my vote. But both lists are terrific!

Most. Difficult. Round. EVER.

I hate both of you for submitting such good tracklists.

Screwtape's probably my favourite playlist of this Desert Island so he gets my vote:up:

Given phanan looks like winning, I figured that I would avoid agonising over my vote and cast one in favour of Screwtape in the faint hope enough other voters will turn up to get him a bonus point.

Axver said:
Given phanan looks like winning, I figured that I would avoid agonising over my vote and cast one in favour of Screwtape in the faint hope enough other voters will turn up to get him a bonus point.

I did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom