Desert Island III Album Game: Round 2, Heat 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• LJT

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the sixth heat of the second round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The second heat of Round 2 had phanan doubling up on U2vertigofly by the score of 14-7. Current standings will be displayed in the Heat 8 thread of Round 2.

Heat 6 now commences with LJT looking for a win against LemonMacPhisto, whose playlist finally debuts. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: LJT

True Adventures

This time I went for a concept playlist....it turned out to be much harder to do than I had thought, but now I am quite pleased with the end result. The concept is itself relatively simple, but open to many interpretations to how you 'travel' through it. The playlist itself is called "True Adventures", taken from the song by British Seapower. It follows the story of a man as he abandons his family and home to seek adventure, some greater purpose to his life. Roughly the first half of the playlist deals with his motivations for escaping the perceived entrapment of family life and the daily grind. It explores his new found sense of freedom and some of the wonder he experiences as he travels.

The second half is where he begins to doubt what he is doing, and loneliness sets in. I however did not set the character up to now take a plunge completely into depression...this is where the listener can really decide this man's path in life. The story does end in his death which I found Jeff Buckley's Corpus Christi Carol to be completely perfect for and terribly bittersweet. He either feels fulfilled and content at his time of death or he did indeed die of despair. He either dies alone or again with his family. I leave all that up to the listener, I do though have a set story, my own personal interpretation of how the man's life ends which I will expound upon in my own journal.

01. Beethoven- "Sonata 08 in C Op.13 - 'Pathetique' - I - Grave - Allegro"- Beethoven: The Sonatas (Claudio Arrau)- (9:06)
02. Duke Special- "Brixton Leaves"- Songs From the Deep Forest- (4:26)
03. Beirut- "Postcards From Italy"- Gulag Orkestrar- (4:17)
04. Bellowhead- "Across The Line"- Burlesque- (5:09)
05. The Frames- "Fitzcarraldo"- Fitzcarraldo- (6:08)
06. Belle & Sebastien- "Fox in the Snow"- If You're Feeling Sinister- (4:11)
07. Cherry Ghost- "Thirst For Romance"- Thirst For Romance- (3:54)
08. British Seapower- "True Adventures"- Open Season- (7:52)
09. The Rumble Strips- "Motorcycle"- Girls and Weather- (3:57)
10. Hope of the States- "Nehemiah"- The Lost Riots- (4:09)
11. The Divine Comedy- "Commuter Love"- Fin de Siecle- (4:42)
12. David Bowie- "Speed of Life"- Low- (2:47)
13. Daft Punk- "Aerodynamic"- Discovery- (3:27)
14. Air- "Universal Traveller"- Talkie Walkie- (4:24)
15. Keren Ann- "Le Forme Et Le Fond"- Nolita- (5:34)
16. My Latest Novel- "Pretty in Panic"- Wolves- (4:19)
17. Manic Street Preachers- "Solitude Sometimes Is"- Lifeblood- (3:21)
18. Sunset Rubdown- "Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings"- Shut Up I Am Dreaming- (7:23)
19. The Sleepy Jackson- "Higher Than Hell"- Personality- (2:56)
20. Patrick Wolf- "Bluebells"- The Magic Position- (5:17)
21. Talk Talk- "Desire"- Spirit of Eden- (7:08)
22. Viva Voce- "So Many Miles"- Get Your Blood Sucked Out- (8:21)
23. TV On The Radio- "Starting at the Sun"- Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes- (3:27)
24. Pure Reason Revolution- "Voices in Winter/The Realms of the Divine"- The Dark Third- (6:33)
25. Ryan Adams- "Shadowlands"- Love Is Hell Pt. 1- (5:18)
26. Muse- "Butterflies and Hurricanes"- Absolution- (5:01)
27. The Flaming Lips- "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell"- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots- (4:34)
28. Asobi Seksu- "Thursday"- Citrus- (4:17)
29. Bjork- "Unravel"- Homogenic- (3:21)
30. The National- "Squalor Victoria"- Boxer- (3:01)
31. The Velvet Teen- "Penning the Penultimate"- Out of the Fierce Parade- (6:54)
32. Jeff Buckley- "Corpus Christi Carol"- Grace- (2:56)

Total Running Time- 2:38:10

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Since this competition is more artistically slanted, I changed my approach to making this playlist. This playlist is structured to work as an entire body of work, two halves, or four mini-lists (or Acts. if you will), all with openers and closers, unique moods, flow, and whatever kicks ass. It was hard this time around sacrificing somewhat superior songs for other mood-enhancing, still great tracks. That being said, here’s the deal on everything. I really wanted to create a cinematic experience with this list, which feature songs from some of my favorite movies. I was also inspired greatly by Pink Floyd’s epic “Dark Side of the Moon” in how to create a list of songs that can work as an album and by themselves and also by Passengers, and how the music acts to scores for fictional films. As the list develops, the tone may change from song to song or fade into each other as one moving piece. The format is like an iPod format, but it’s structured like a mixtape, I just didn’t want to deal with the time constraints. They’re a bitch.

The transitions between the songs are important here, both musically and lyrically. Lyrical bits in some tracks might be mentioned again in another, if you listen for it you’ll catch it (“Sunken Treasure” to “Nobody Home” is a good example.) Ah, I shouldn’t have to explain all this, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when you listen to all of this. I hope you all enjoy my playlist and especially everyone else’s, and from me, LMP, to you, I just want to thank you for listening to me and letting me be a part of your life today. Because you’ve got a good life! …You got a good life! Sorry, I couldn’t resist the Prison Mike ref, have fun listening!

(Section 1: Nothing’s Gonna Change My World)
1. Sigur Rós - “Starálfur” - Agaetis byrjun (6:47)
2. Sufjan Stevens - “Chicago” - Illinois (6:04)
3. Ray Charles - “What’d I Say? (Parts 1 & 2)” - What’d I Say - Single (5:07)
4. Jackie Wilson - “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” - Higher and Higher (2:53)
5. The Velvet Underground - “Sweet Jane” - Loaded (4:07)
6. Bob Dylan - “The Man in Me” - New Morning (3:07)
7. Cat Stevens - “Tea for the Tillerman” - Tea for the Tillerman (1:03)
8. Bono, Brian Eno, L'Orchestra Filarmonica Di Torino, Michael Kamen & The Edge - “One” - Pavarotti and Friends (5:19)
9. Rufus Wainwright - “Agnus Dei” - Want Two (5:45)
10. The Beatles - “Across the Universe” - No One’s Gonna Change Our World (3:49)

(Section 2: A Quick One)
11. LCD Soundsystem - “All My Friends” - Sound of Silver (7:37)
12. The Bravery - “Public Service Announcement” - The Bravery (3:35)
13. The Flaming Lips - “Race for the Prize (Sacrifice of the New Scientists)” - The Soft Bulletin (4:08)
14. Blind Melon - “No Rain” - Blind Melon (3:39)
15. Queen - “You’re My Best Friend” - A Night at the Opera (2:53)
16. The White Stripes - “Rag & Bone” - Icky Thump (3:48)
17. The Who - “A Quick One, While He’s Away” - A Quick One (8:40)

(Section 2: Exitlude / Section 3: Interlude)
18. The Zombies - “The Way I Feel Inside” - Begin Here (1:27)

(Section 3: The Great Escape)
19. The Shins - “Sleeping Lessons” - Wincing the Night Away (3:58)
20. Arcade Fire - “Keep the Car Running” - Neon Bible (3:29)
21. Bright Eyes - “Four Winds” - Cassadaga (4:16)
22. The New Radicals - “Someday We’ll Know” - Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (3:37)
23. Oasis - “Guess God Thinks I’m Abel” - Don’t Believe the Truth (3:24)
24. Wilco - “Sunken Treasure” - Being There (6:51)
25. Pink Floyd - “Nobody Home” - The Wall (3:11)
26. David Bowie - “Life on Mars?” - Hunky Dory (3:54)
27. Radiohead - “Life in a Glasshouse” - Amnesiac (4:34)

(Section 4: It Makes Me Wonder)
28. Explosions in the Sky - “The Birth and Death of the Day” - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:49)
29. Smashing Pumpkins - “Stand Inside Your Love” - MACHINA / The Machines of God (4:11)
30. Modern English - “I Melt with You” - After the Snow (3:48)
31. Bruce Springsteen - “It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City (Acoustic) - Tracks (2:55)
32. The Rolling Stones - “Gimme Shelter” - Let It Bleed (4:34)
33. Andrew Bird - “Armchairs” - Armchair Apochrypha (6:57)
34. Nick Drake - “River Man” - Five Leaves Left (4:15)
35. Led Zeppelin - “Stairway to Heaven” - Led Zeppelin IV (8:00)

Total time: 2:39:31

UP NEXT: corianderstem vs. edge_2125

Competition master list.

Have fun!

To be perfectly honest, I'm not all that crazy about LMP's playlist. :reject: It's great, and I like the vast majority of the songs he picked, but the flow just isn't right, so it doesn't coalesce. Regardless, he gets my vote because I really do not have much in common with LJT taste-wise, and I probably wouldn't listen to his playlist on a regular basis. :shrug:

I had to look up the definition of "coalesce" :lol:

Someday I'll perfect the whole flow thing.

Being four months older than you must have given me an advantage in the vocabulary department. :lmao:

If I could sum up your playlist in one word, it would be...uhhh....umm....

Good. (Yeah, that's the ticket. :uhoh: )

LemonMelon said:
Being four months older than you must have given me an advantage in the vocabulary department. :lmao:

If I could sum up your playlist in one word, it would be...uhhh....umm....

Good. (Yeah, that's the ticket. :uhoh: )

SAT prep! :lol:

If I could sum up my playlist in 3 words it would be: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer... merciless, insatiable.

LemonMacPhisto said:

SAT prep! :lol:

If I could sum up my playlist in 3 words it would be: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer... merciless, insatiable.

Your list is:

Complex
Endearing
Moody
Transcendent

Oh, and face-meltingly indietastic. :up:

I have terribly underrated LJT's playlist. The more I listen to it the higher it goes up on the rankings in my head. This is tough because both playlists are so good. There is so many good things about each playlist that I can't even go into. The experiences are about dead even. LJT has one of the more creative playlists while LMP has one of the better constructed playlists. I'm going to go with LJT because of how much better it gets on each listen. That said, in most rounds LMP will get my vote.

Good luck to both of you through the rest of the game. :wave:

LemonMelon said:

Your list is:

Complex
Endearing
Moody
Transcendent

Oh, and face-meltingly indietastic. :up:

Thank you, good sir. Any list with Nick Drake is shot up about 10 points on the Indie Scale.

Each section of LMP's list has some really good stuff, but then there are other songs mixed in that I don't particularly care for, which made it a bit uneven. Still, the songs that I enjoy are classics - kudos for including the acoustic version of Springsteen's "Saint In The City". I had that on bootleg for years before they put it on Tracks.

I mentioned previously how I didn't know much of LJT's playlist at first, but ended up liking quite a bit of songs, which earned it my vote last time. But this time, I'm going with LMP.

LJT said:
I'm getting duffed in this one:cool:

I'm really surprised. Your tracklist has some of the best flow, progression, and atmosphere out of the lot. I'd vote for you over most tracklists in the game, and this round was no exception.

I guess my playlist is just too unfamiliar...the aim was to introduce people to a good bit of new music though, so if it has given someone a new band they like, it's been worth it!

People's taste in music here on Interference does seem to be kinda homogenous though...that is in no way to cause offence, as I do basically love every band on LMP's list:love: but some tracklists as a consequence end up kinda samey...which mine was as guilty of in the last contest as anyone's.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

At least my tracklists will never fall victim to that homogeneity! :wink:

LJT said:
I guess my playlist is just too unfamiliar...the aim was to introduce people to a good bit of new music though, so if it has given someone a new band they like, it's been worth it!

I think you might be surprised when the Critic's Choice Awards come out. You made something really special LJT that you can be proud of. That is all that matters. I love the unfamiliarity of it. That is what makes the playlist really great. :drool:

I love my playlist no doubt screwtape....just i'm quite a competitive spirit and my ego is taking quite a beating:wink:

LJT said:
People's taste in music here on Interference does seem to be kinda homogenous though...that is in no way to cause offence, as I do basically love every band on LMP's list:love: but some tracklists as a consequence end up kinda samey...which mine was as guilty of in the last contest as anyone's.

This is true. It should be about exposing people to new music while also putting your favorite tracks on there. I really dug your playlist and expected it to be much closer. It's funny how samey on Interference is still way out there for my group of friends.

If I flashed my list it'd be too "indietastic" and yours... man. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom