Desert Island III Album Game: Round 2, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Lancemc

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Screwtape2

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the second round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

We've had our first draw of the tournament in Heat 7 of Round 1, as both BonoIsMyMuse and corianderstem finished in a 12-12 tie, earning one point each. Current standings will be displayed in the Heat 4 thread of Round 2.

To kick off Round 2, we go back to Group 1, with Lancemc going up against Screwtape2. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Lancemc

wrath_of_khan.gif

So I was disappointed with my first Desert Island playlist. It still made the quarter/semi? finals, but I didn’t like it. I originally had an idea for a more cohesive and thematically dynamic list, but decided that a true “desert island” tracklist would just be a compilation of all the artists I loved and the songs that best represented why I loved them. I still failed. But this time, I went more with what I had planned originally. I’ve incorporated several classical/romantic period compositions to serve as cornerstones for the entire list. I had wanted to use the Mars –> Gimme Shelter opening as it truly kicks ass. I also wanted to use the complete second half of Beethoven’s 5th symphony in my list somewhere, and settled on closing the first disc with it. Some may consider it “cheating” since it’s technically two tracks from the same Album/Artist, but Axver has OK-ed this particular selection for me on several occasions. I feel it really acts as the true centerpiece for the entire playlist this time around, and contains it’s own epic and compelling emotional and thematic narrative that the rest of the list almost acts of a sort of companion to it. The first of the other two “classical” pieces I chose was Revel’s “Bolero” which I could probably listen to over and over again all day. He described the piece as “Absolutely no music, but all tone.” The final classical (romantic) piece is Mendelssohn’s “Hebrides Overture,” which details an autobiographical journey through a storm at Fingal’s Cave in Northern Europe. I thought it was the perfect segue musically and thematically to the closer, R.E.M.’s classic “Find The River”. The rest of the playlist consists of several smaller cohesive units revolving around the self-appointed themes (in order); traditional songwriting wrapped in electronic styling [3-7, Disc 1], physical space and travel [8-11, Disc 1], love and lust [1-3, Disc 2], and finally coming home [5-11, Disc 2]. I’m actually very proud of this list, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do, and find the structure and the “musical journey” as rewarding as I’d like to think it is.

DISC 1

1. Boston Pops Orchestra – “The Planets, Op. 32: I. Mars, the Bringer of War” – Holst: The Planets (6:45)
2. The Rolling Stones – “Gimme Shelter” – Let it Bleed (4:35)
3. Bjork – “5 Years” – Homogenic (4:29)
4. Radiohead – “I Might Be Wrong” – Amnesiac (4:53)
5. U2 – “Lemon” – Zooropa (6:58)
6. The Flaming Lips – “Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell” – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (4:34)
7. LCD Soundsystem – “Someone Great” – Sound Of Silver (6:25)
8. Patti Smith – “Land” – Horses (9:25)
9. Sufjan Stevens – “Chicago” – Come On, Feel The Illinoise (6:04)
10. Arcade Fire – “Haiti” – Funeral (4:07)
11. Brian Eno – “Another Green World” – Another Green World (1:36)
12./13. Kurt Masur – “Symphony No. 5 In C Minor – 3- Allegro/Symphony No. 5 In C Minor – 4 – Allegro2” – Beethoven The Nine Symphonies (8:32/11:09)

DISC 2

1. The Who – “A Quick One While He’s Away” – Live At Leeds (8:52)
2. Beck – “Sexx Laws” – Midnight Vultures (3:39)
3. Bob Dylan – “Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts” – Blood On The Tracks (8:53)
4. Maazel/Orchestre National de France – “Bolero” – Ravel: Bolero (13:52)
5. Daniel Lanois – “Where The Hawkwind Kills” – Acadie (3:51)
6. Bruce Springsteen – “Wild Billy’s Circus Story” – The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle (4:47)
7. Talking Heads – “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)” – Stop Making Sense (4:57)
8. Wilco – “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart” – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (6:58)
9. David Bowie – “Subterraneans” – Low (5:39)
10. London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Abbado – “Ouvertüre "The Hebrides" ("Fingalshöhle"), Op.26” - Mendelssohn 5 Symphonies, 7 Overtures (10:29)
11. R.E.M. – “Find The River” – Automatic For The People (3:49)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

UP NEXT: phanan vs. U2vertigofly

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Wow. This is the toughest one yet for me. I logically want my own tracklist to win. But other than mine, Screwtape's is my favorite in the competition. Damn.

Well, good luck. :)

I went with Lance for this round, because while I was impressed with what Screwtape prepared overall, Lance's is more my style, and I'd be more likely to listen to it repeatedly.

Screwtape's is probably my favourite this competition, although Lance's comes pretty damn close.

But I just have to go with Screwtape this time.

I really loved Screwtape's list, especially since the majority of it was music I had never heard. So it was cool to hear so much music I wouldn't have heard otherwise. Also he did a great job of creating a mood. However, I'm gonna go with Lance on this one. I enjoyed his inclusion of classical music as well along with some of my favourite songs (like I Am Trying to Break Your Heart :drool: )

You can't go wrong with either list, they're both among my favorites. I gotta go with Lance's on this one. They're both draws on flow/songs/mood for me, but I know I'd listen to his list more often than Screwtape's, especially the 2nd disc.

I'll probably change my mind another 50 times before tomorrow, but the polls will be closed by then anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom