Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• BonoIsMyMuse

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • corianderstem

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh heat of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

In Heat 5, inmyplace13 achieved a convincing victory over Axver by the score of 21-8. Current standings will be displayed in the next thread.

For this heat, we have BonoIsMyMuse against corianderstem. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: BonoIsMyMuse

Tracklist Title: Transitions

Everything in my life is changing now, and I wanted to compile a collection of songs to reflect that. I’m in what’s probably been the biggest transition period of my life; while I’m trying to hang on to as many familiar things as I can, I’m realizing that I have to learn how to look at those things in a different way now, too.

I dug into my jazz collection, revisited some of my favorite old country songs, and added newer discoveries like Andrew Bird and the Nels Cline Singers. I’m a writer, and I love those moments both when I’m writing and when I’m reading someone else’s work when there’s a twist, something unexpected but beautiful. I ordered these songs based largely on transitions: the upbeat songs to open the list dropping into the more somber tracks by Ray LaMontagne and Joni Mitchell, then soaring again into probably my favorite section of the list, songs by Gorillaz, Sonny Rollins, and the Clash. I arranged my songs in a way that reflects the ups and downs I’ve experienced in the last few years. The list ends with a group of quieter, more reflective songs, a contrast to the high energy of the opening. “Ashes of American Flags” and “Bad” are probably my two favorite songs, which is why I saved them for the end. Both songs are filled with desperation, but there’s a bit of hope in each of them, too. I knew I wanted to end with “Bad” because the final lyrics to me symbolize looking ahead, which is what I’m doing now.

The cover art is a photograph called “Harvest Curve” by Fred Joy. I chose it because I feel like it reflects the heart of my playlist and the journey that I’ve been on for the last few years, carving my own path rather than following ones others have created. See more of his artwork here: http://www.astoriafineart.com/Artists/Joy - Fred/Fred Joy.htm

I hope you enjoy my playlist.

1. Elvis Costello – “Welcome to the Working Week” – My Aim Is True (1:23)
2. Lucinda Williams – “Changed the Locks” – Lucinda Williams (3:44)
3. Rolling Stones – “Rocks Off” – Exile On Main Street (4:32)
4. Kings of Leon – “Soft” – Aha Shake Heartbreak (2:59)
5. 10,000 Maniacs – “Hey Jack Kerouac” – In My Tribe (3:26)
6. Johnny Cash featuring June Carter Cash – “Jackson” – The Essential Johnny Cash (Disc 1) (2:44)
7. Ray LaMontagne – “Jolene” – Trouble (4:10)
8. Joni Mitchell – “Blue” – Blue (3:05)
9. Gorillaz – “Dirty Harry” – Demon Days (3:43)
10. Sonny Rollins – “St. Thomas” – Saxophone Colossus (6:47)
11. The Clash – “Janie Jones” – The Clash (2:06)
12. Lou Reed – “Heroin” – Between Thought and Expression (Disc 2) (12:19)
13. Tori Amos – “A Sorta Fairytale” – Scarlet’s Walk (5:29)
14. Arcade Fire – “Neighborhood #2 (Laika)” – Funeral (3:31)
15. Stevie Wonder – “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” – Stevie Wonder’s Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 (2:40)
16. The Beatles – “Paperback Writer” – 1 (2:18)
17. David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel” – Changesbowie (4:30)
18. Ella Fitzgerald – “I Ain’t Got Nothin’ But the Blues” – Day Dream: Best of the Duke Ellington Songbook (4:44)
19. Led Zeppelin – “What Is and Should Never Be” - BBC Sessions (Disc 1) (4:20)
20. Bruce Springsteen – “Atlantic City” – The Essential Bruce Springsteen (Disc 1) (3:56)
21. Emmylou Harris – “Boulder to Birmingham” – Spyboy (3:21)
22. Bob Dylan and the Band – “The Man In Me” – The Big Lebowski Soundtrack (3:08)
23. Aretha Franklin – “Do Right Woman” – I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You (3:15)
24. Pearl Jam – “Given to Fly” – Yield (4:01)
25. Jimi Hendrix – “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” – Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix (5:12)
26. The Pixies – “Bone Machine” – Surfer Rosa (3:02)
27. The Nels Cline Singers – “He Still Carries A Torch For Her” – The Giant Pin (6:43)
28. Patti Smith Group – “Because the Night” – Easter (3:23)
29. R.E.M. – “Electrolite” – New Adventures In Hi-fi (4:05)
30. Patsy Cline – “Walkin’ After Midnight” – 12 Greatest Hits (2:01)
31. Soul Coughing – “So Far I Have Not Found the Science” – El Oso (2:53)
32. Pink Floyd – “The Great Gig In the Sky” – Dark Side of the Moon (4:47)
33. Willie Nelson – “I’d Have to Be Crazy” – Greatest Hits (And Some That Will Be) (3:26)
34. Miles Davis – “So What” – Kind of Blue (9:24)
35. Andrew Bird – “Plasticities” – Armchair Apocrypha (4:27)
36. Wilco – “Ashes of American Flags” – Kicking Television: Live In Chicago (Disc 2) (6:03)
37. U2 – “Bad” – Wide Awake In America (8:02)

Total Time: 2:39:39

Forum name: corianderstem

“Corianderstem’s Summer In Seattle”

I wanted to go for something that showed a little bit of my personality, and a mix I’m likely to listen to when I take a day trip in the summer. Maybe I’m going to the ocean, maybe I’m going to Mt. Rainier. Whatever it is, it has to be upbeat, cranked loud on the stereo and great to sing along to – there’s nothing like a road trip on a sunny day, windows down, stereo blaring, zooming down the open road! We start off with some good power pop/rock with a bit of oomph, guaranteed to rev me up. Throw in some quality dance pop (including one brilliantly silly ditty), a funky dance break, back around to power pop … and then as we return from our road trip, the sun is setting and it’s time to relax in the warm night air, maybe with a cold beer. The songs mellow out a bit, and then as the last song begins, the crickets are chirping, the last light leaves the sky, and all is right with the world.

1. New Radicals – “Mother We Just Can’t Get Enough” – Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (5:45)
2. Matthew Sweet – “Girlfriend” – Girlfriend (3:40)
3. Semisonic – “Singing In My Sleep” – Feeling Strangely Fine (4:30)
4. The Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies)” – Funeral (5:10)
5. The Velvet Underground – “Rock & Roll” – Loaded (4:45)
6. The Rolling Stones – “Brown Sugar” – Forty Licks (3:49)
7. Supergrass – “Sun Hits the Sky” – Supergrass Is 10: The Best of 94-04 (4:53)
8. Dandy Warhols – “Bohemian Like You” – Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia (3:33)
9. The Talking Heads – “Burning Down the House (live)” – Stop Making Sense (4:09)
10. INXS – “Don’t Change” – Best of INXS (4:25)
11. The Pixies – “Head On” – Trompe Le Monde (2:16)
12. Sinead O’Connor – “No Man’s Woman” – Faith and Courage (3:01)
13. Liz Phair – “Extraordinary” – Liz Phair (3:24)
14. The Bangles – “Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)” – Doll Revolution (3:57)
15. Kylie Minogue – “Come Into My World (Fischerspooner Remix)” – Come Into My World (single) (4:11)
16. Sugababes – “Freak Like Me” – Angels With Dirty Faces (3:16)
17. Robyn – “Konichiwa Bitches” – Robyn (2:38)
18. Earth Wind & Fire – “September” – Earth Wind and Fire: Greatest Hits (3:34)
19. Stevie Wonder – “Higher Ground” – Definitive Collection (3:11)
20. Junior Walker & The All Stars – “Shotgun” – The Motown Story, Volume 1: The 1960s (4:11)
21. The Beatles – “And Your Bird Can Sing” – Revolver (2:01)
22. Nerina Pallot – “Everybody’s Gone To War” – Fires (3:54)
23. R.E.M. – “Imitation of Life” – Reveal (3:56)
24. The Pernice Brothers – “The Weakest Shade of Blue” – Yours, Mine, Ours (3:08)
25. The Beach Boys – “Don’t Worry Baby” – Summer Crush (2:51)
26. The Long Winters – “Cinnamon” – When I Pretend to Fall (4:13)
27. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “California Stars” – Mermaid Avenue (4:58)
28. The Finn Brothers – “Won’t Give In” – Everyone Is Here (4:17)
29. The Cardigans – “You’re the Storm” – Long Gone Before Daylight (3:53)
30. Texas – “Saint” – The Hush (4:47)
31. Emm Gryner – “Almighty Love” – Summer of High Hopes (3:54)
32. Cat Power – “The Greatest” – The Greatest (3:22)
33. Emmylou Harris – “Sweet Old World” – Wrecking Ball (5:05)
34. Ryan Adams – “Wonderwall” – Love Is Hell, Pt 1. (4:09)
35. Sun Kil Moon – “Carry Me Ohio” – Ghosts of the Great Highway (6:21)
36. Mary Chapin Carpenter – “I Am a Town” – Come On Come On (5:06)
37. Simon & Garfunkel – “America” – Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits (3:33)
38. Santo and Johnny – “Sleepwalk” – The Best of Santo and Johnny (2:25)
39. Cassandra Wilson – “Harvest Moon” – New Moon Daughter (5:01)

Total Runtime: 2:35:23

UP NEXT: edge _2125 vs. Lila64

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
: biting nails :

I really liked BonoIsMyMuse's tracklist in the last game, and I think she's put together another great list here.

Now, the ultimate decision ... do I vote for myself or not? :shifty:

Corianderstem.

One of my favorite lists; I think it's the most fun of the bunch. Tons of 5-star songs, very smartly put together. And I totally relate to the Seattle roadtrip theme, having taken so many myself. I can picture playing the first half out on the Olympic Peninsula, driving to the Hoh Rainforest or the rustic Pacific Ocean beaches. And the latter portion would sound great on a gorgeous summer evening driving home from the coast or a hiking trip, with Mount Rainier glowing pink at dusk. Plus, I've got to root for the hometown team, right?

My favorite songs on the list are California Stars, Imitation of Life and America. Some of the new stuff you introduced me to that I like a lot are The Pernice Brothers, The Long Winters, The Finn Brothers, Texas and Cat Power.

BonoIsMyMuse has a great list as well, which I'd vote for against many of the other playlists. A Sorta Fairytale, Atlantic City, Electrolite, Ashes Of American Flags, Bad? Awesome stuff.

SeattleVertigo said:
I can picture playing the first half out on the Olympic Peninsula, driving to the Hoh Rainforest or the rustic Pacific Ocean beaches. And the latter portion would sound great on a gorgeous summer evening driving home from the coast or a hiking trip, with Mount Rainier glowing pink at dusk. Plus, I've got to root for the hometown team, right?

Yes. :wink:

Seriously, though - I listened to this when I drove up to the North Cascades Highway last month. Man, I love it out here. There's so much to do and see.

I still need to get over to the Hoh, though. I've been up to Neah Bay and Crescent Lake, and I often pop over to Ocean Shores to hang out on the beach for the day. But that rainforest trip still eludes me.

corianderstem said:

I still need to get over to the Hoh, though. I've been up to Neah Bay and Crescent Lake, and I often pop over to Ocean Shores to hang out on the beach for the day. But that rainforest trip still eludes me.

Really?

Ocean Shores is a nice beach, but you should see the beaches to the north, near Hoh! Rialto and Ruby beaches, wow. The scenery is stunning. Lots of sea stacks. Bring a camera.

:up:

Thanks! It's definitely on my list of places to see yet in Washington. Rainforest, northern beaches, Columbia River area.

BonoIsMyMuse's list is sex. Top 5 easy. :up:

Corianderstem's list is a bit hit-n'-miss for me, but it is well done, and bonus points for fitting Supergrass in there. Don't be surprised to get my vote several times down the stretch. :yes:

I really dig 'em both like I said above, but CoriA's list trails off for me towards the end a little bit. It's basically like going from Something Great to Something Good, it's not that big of a drop-off, but it's noticable. Still, I enjoy it, especially "Konichiwa Bitches," oh my God, best song title ever.

Now BonoInMyMuse's list is consistent all the way through, plus it even made me enjoy country music, which is extremely hard to do. So there's my vote for this match-up. :up:

I love Konichiwa Bitches. I just picked up the album, and the whole thing is really strong. I wish more people on this side of the pond knew about her.

I liked both of these a lot but I think BonoIsMyMuse just sneaks it.

I think this group might be the most tightly contested. I can see everyone ending with 2 wins and 2 losses with the vote counts being close as well.

This is interesting match for me. I enjoyed more of BonoIsMyMuse’s playlist but I feel that Corianderstem’s had better moments. I can’t say either blew me away with the experience but I felt moments in Corianderstem’s did. BonoIsMyMuse almost feels too much like a greatest hits collection. I’m not a fan of most bands’ hits (as I’ve heard them so much) so I have to be honest and say that hurt my opinion of the playlist. I think both playlists are very good. Corianderstem gets my vote though.

The end won my vote because of the unique experience in them.
36. Mary Chapin Carpenter – “I Am a Town” – Come On Come On (5:06)
37. Simon & Garfunkel – “America” – Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits (3:33)
38. Santo and Johnny – “Sleepwalk” – The Best of Santo and Johnny (2:25)
39. Cassandra Wilson – “Harvest Moon” – New Moon Daughter (5:01)

Good luck to the both of you! :wave:

:ohmy:

I was afraid people would see Mary Chapin Carpenter and scoff, "Country? HA!" and avoid my mix like the plague. :wink:

Just the one song. :wink:

Your list was another one of the "San Antonio" trip mixes I got to listen to. It was perfect for the 3 hour ride from Houston to San Antone.

I had to go with BonoIsMyMuse. Both were great, fun playlists but there weren't any parts in her playlist that I really didn't like. I thought Konichiwa Bitches was going to be better based on the name :(

It's kind of like Snakes on a Plane. Regardless of how bad it may be, you have to experience it for yourself.

corianderstem said:
Can't decide, huh?

Can I bribe you with a cookie? :wink:

You can bribe me by including Porcupine Tree and Pure Reason Revolution in your tracklist. :wink:

I have two Porcupine Tree songs on my iPod now, thanks to these competitions.

You can take pride in the fact that you've introduced me to a band I'd never heard of prior to you! :wink:

You like my list! You really, really like my list! :hug:

(Don't mind me. I often seek validation and approval. :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom