Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• KhanadaRhodes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • LJT

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the sixth heat of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Heat 4 saw LemonMelon cruise to a decisive victory over Bonos_Lemon, 17-4. Our current standings are as follows:

Group 1

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
phanan: 3, 1, 0, 21, 4, +17.
Screwtape2: 3, 1, 0, 14, 10, +4.
U2vertigofly: 0, 0, 1, 10, 14, -4.
Lancemc: 0, 0, 1, 4, 21, -17.

Group 2

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
LemonMelon: 3, 1, 0, 17, 4, +13.
angelordevil: 3, 1, 0, 15, 8, +7.
AtomicBono: 0, 0, 1, 8, 15, -7.
Bonos_Lemon: 0, 0, 1, 4, 17, -13.
PlaTheGreat: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Up next is KhanadaRhodes and LJT. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: KhanadaRhodes

KhanadaRhodes' 100% Natural Good Time Desert Island Solution

This playlist may be a little short, but I think this is pretty much me and the music I love. There's lots of Enz/Finn-related material here, the prerequisite Duran Duran song, and lots of dance music I love. Following the guidelines presented, this would definitely be the music I could not live without if I were on a desert island. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

1. Brian Eno and David Byrne - "America Is Waiting" - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (3:37)
2. Talking Heads - "Once in A Lifetime" - Remain in Light (4:22)
3. Tim Finn - "Persuasion" - Before & After (3:54)
4. David Bowie - "Heroes" - Heroes (3:38)
5. Echo and the Bunnymen - "Rescue" - Crocodiles (4:26)
6. The Power Station - "Some Like It Hot" - The Power Station (5:05)
7. Crowded House - "World Where You Live" - Crowded House (3:05)
8. Simple Minds - "Someone, Somewhere in Summertime" - New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (4:38)
9. Neil Finn - "Last One Standing" - Try Whistling This (3:04)
10. The Police - "Synchronicity II" - Synchronicity (5:03)
11. Wang Chung - "To Live and Die in L.A." - To Live and Die in L.A. (4:52)
12. Natasha Bedingfield - "These Words" - Unwritten (3:36)
13. U2 - "Red Hill Mining Town" - The Joshua Tree (4:53)
14. Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone" - Breakaway (3:08)
15. Schnell Fenster - "Whisper" - The Sound of Trees (3:44)
16. Duran Duran - "New Moon on Monday" - Seven and the Ragged Tiger (4:16)
17. Split Enz - "Bold As Brass" - Dizrythmia (3:31)
18. INXS - "Original Sin" - The Swing (5:19)
19. The Swingers - "Counting the Beat" - Practical Jokers (3:01)
20. Seu Jorge - "Life on Mars?" - The Life Aquatic (With Steve Zissou) Soundtrack (3:24)
21. Sting - "Be Still My Beating Heart" - ...Nothing Like the Sun (5:34)
22. Joy Division - "Shadowplay" - Unknown Pleasures (3:55)
23. VHS or Beta - "You Got Me (Baby Daddy Remix) - You Got Me (6:38)
24. New Order - "Blue Monday '88" - Singles (3:48)
25. Depeche Mode - "The Sun & The Rainfall" - A Broken Frame (5:05)

Total runtime: 1:45:36

Forum name: LJT

True Adventures

This time I went for a concept playlist....it turned out to be much harder to do than I had thought, but now I am quite pleased with the end result. The concept is itself relatively simple, but open to many interpretations to how you 'travel' through it. The playlist itself is called "True Adventures", taken from the song by British Seapower. It follows the story of a man as he abandons his family and home to seek adventure, some greater purpose to his life. Roughly the first half of the playlist deals with his motivations for escaping the perceived entrapment of family life and the daily grind. It explores his new found sense of freedom and some of the wonder he experiences as he travels.

The second half is where he begins to doubt what he is doing, and loneliness sets in. I however did not set the character up to now take a plunge completely into depression...this is where the listener can really decide this man's path in life. The story does end in his death which I found Jeff Buckley's Corpus Christi Carol to be completely perfect for and terribly bittersweet. He either feels fulfilled and content at his time of death or he did indeed die of despair. He either dies alone or again with his family. I leave all that up to the listener, I do though have a set story, my own personal interpretation of how the man's life ends which I will expound upon in my own journal.

01. Beethoven- "Sonata 08 in C Op.13 - 'Pathetique' - I - Grave - Allegro"- Beethoven: The Sonatas (Claudio Arrau)- (9:06)
02. Duke Special- "Brixton Leaves"- Songs From the Deep Forest- (4:26)
03. Beirut- "Postcards From Italy"- Gulag Orkestrar- (4:17)
04. Bellowhead- "Across The Line"- Burlesque- (5:09)
05. The Frames- "Fitzcarraldo"- Fitzcarraldo- (6:08)
06. Belle & Sebastien- "Fox in the Snow"- If You're Feeling Sinister- (4:11)
07. Cherry Ghost- "Thirst For Romance"- Thirst For Romance- (3:54)
08. British Seapower- "True Adventures"- Open Season- (7:52)
09. The Rumble Strips- "Motorcycle"- Girls and Weather- (3:57)
10. Hope of the States- "Nehemiah"- The Lost Riots- (4:09)
11. The Divine Comedy- "Commuter Love"- Fin de Siecle- (4:42)
12. David Bowie- "Speed of Life"- Low- (2:47)
13. Daft Punk- "Aerodynamic"- Discovery- (3:27)
14. Air- "Universal Traveller"- Talkie Walkie- (4:24)
15. Keren Ann- "Le Forme Et Le Fond"- Nolita- (5:34)
16. My Latest Novel- "Pretty in Panic"- Wolves- (4:19)
17. Manic Street Preachers- "Solitude Sometimes Is"- Lifeblood- (3:21)
18. Sunset Rubdown- "Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings"- Shut Up I Am Dreaming- (7:23)
19. The Sleepy Jackson- "Higher Than Hell"- Personality- (2:56)
20. Patrick Wolf- "Bluebells"- The Magic Position- (5:17)
21. Talk Talk- "Desire"- Spirit of Eden- (7:08)
22. Viva Voce- "So Many Miles"- Get Your Blood Sucked Out- (8:21)
23. TV On The Radio- "Starting at the Sun"- Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes- (3:27)
24. Pure Reason Revolution- "Voices in Winter/The Realms of the Divine"- The Dark Third- (6:33)
25. Ryan Adams- "Shadowlands"- Love Is Hell Pt. 1- (5:18)
26. Muse- "Butterflies and Hurricanes"- Absolution- (5:01)
27. The Flaming Lips- "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell"- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots- (4:34)
28. Asobi Seksu- "Thursday"- Citrus- (4:17)
29. Bjork- "Unravel"- Homogenic- (3:21)
30. The National- "Squalor Victoria"- Boxer- (3:01)
31. The Velvet Teen- "Penning the Penultimate"- Out of the Fierce Parade- (6:54)
32. Jeff Buckley- "Corpus Christi Carol"- Grace- (2:56)

Total Running Time- 2:38:10

UP NEXT: BonoIsMyMuse vs. corianderstem

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Ooh...this is a tough one. I'll have to give the nod to LJT, simply because he had the balls to use music that's even more obscure than anything on Khanada's list. :lol: Plus, he mixed that with some other great tunes, so he covered all the bases. :up:

LJT.

In general I'm more familiar with the artists in Khanada Rhodes' list, and there are some songs in there I like a lot, but overall I thought LJT's was very interesting and flowed well. It introduced me to a lot of bands I'd like to learn more about.

I really wished Khan's was longer, it was maybe the most fun list out of the bunch. (fucking Wang Chung, guys!)

LJT's is probably the most indietastic out of anyone's, and it's also extremely good. This is another tough call.

I honestly didn't care for LJT's mix, but I appreciated the opportunity to hear so many bands/artists I'd never heard before.

This is a very tough choice.

Khan's playlist has tons of my favorite songs. It flows very well. Like LMP said, I wish it was longer.

LJT has a very good concept. It is very well done. The experience was great.

This is a real tough one but I have to go with LJT. It is very impressive and the experience wins it for me. Good luck to the both of you! :wave:

Woo my turn:hyper:

I didn't set out to be indietastic...I did want to include a lot of music a lot of people probably wouldn't have heard...twas also just the way things kinda developed....plus it does force people to listen to it, since very few of the songs would be familiar..

A lot of music is also quite new, only being a few years old...and are better known in general over here...Duke Special is a Belfast guy.

Anyway Khan's yours is probably the most fun playlist there is:dancing: For that alone it should go through...because these playlists can get too serious at times:wink:

I do plan on going very rock n roll/dancey next time though:cool:

Indietastic stuff is great. :up:

It's hard to balance the whole mood/flow stuff with upbeat and fun tracks. That's one of the reasons I opted for the different sections in mine so I could do that with at least half, but still have those ridiculously depressing but awesome songs.

While mood/flow are great in playlists, no emphasis should be taken off of the songs themselves.

I agree...and I did try to balance it out...I tried to go for a concept that allowed an expression of multiple moods...while travelling people often experience homesickness and loneliness, but also wonder and awe and the general joy of freedom hence my inclusion of songs of that type like Aerodynamic, True Adventures, Thirst for Romance.

The concept is also loosely based on the film Fitzacarraldo by Warner Herzog:

From Wikipedia
Fitzcarraldo, a great fan of the famous tenor Enrico Caruso, dreams of building an opera house in the remote Peruvian city of Iquitos. To make his dream a reality, he purchases a steamer, acquires the deed to a rubber-rich, but inaccessible, area of the jungle, and sets off to exploit this area until he earns enough money to build his opera. However, because his newly-acquired territory can only be reached via a tributary of the Amazon River strewn with dangerous rapids, he devises a more creative solution: travel up a parallel tributary; then, with the manpower of helpful natives, physically pull the steamship over a mountain, from one river to the next.

It acted as the genesis of the concept anyway.

If anyone wants to hear anymore by a particular band feel free to pm me and I shall hook you up:up:

I've heard a lot of great things about Fitzcarraldo and Herzog's other work. Gotta check him out. :up:

Ugh, damn both of you. You've mixed some of my favourite stuff with some crap. Khan especially - I love the Joy Division and Talking Heads songs and all the Kiwi stuff, but Wang Chung and Kelly Clarkson?! I feel more strongly about what I both like and dislike in Khan's.

I'll probably have to listen to both playlists back-to-back later today before I can decide on who gets my vote.

I have to say, I was amused by the Red Hill Mining Town / Since U Been Gone transition.

Very ... unexpected. :lol:

The only winner of American Idol who I care even remotely about.

She can wail.

As much as I loved Khan's, I gotta go with LJT's for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Axver's face while listening to the Kelly Clarkson song:

khan.jpg

Last edited:
i know my playlist is short but i just ran out of stuff to put on it and i didn't want to just start adding songs for the sake of making it longer :shrug:

i didn't want to turn it into time on earth :uhoh:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Axver's face while listening to the Kelly Clarkson song:

khan.jpg

:lmao:

No way am I ever listening to that song again. I don't care how much it matters to anyone's tracklist. Last month, when I was going to Wellington airport to fly back to Melbourne, that song was played on the radio. I had it stuck in my head for the next fucking WEEK. I even created a death metal version of it in my mind just to make it more tolerable.

Thank goodness it finally pissed off and left my mind in peace.

I abhor radio. It's a shame I have to rely on other people to drive me places and they play it. :mad:

Same.

They play the same 10-15 songs all day, and it's not just the pop stations, but the "classic rock" stations as well. I don't wanna hear "Hotel California" everyday at 6 o'clock, you fuckers.

I haven't made up my mind on this one. LJT's list has a lot of stuff I don't know, and I liked some of it, but found other parts not as interesting. It had a nice flow, though.

Khanada has some classics on hers, no doubt about that. It's a bit short, but she went for quality over quantity. But there are also some songs on there that aren't my taste.

Decisions, decisions...

Screwtape2 said:
Did Kelly Clarkson just give Khan the lead? :eyebrow:

:shrug: What can you do?:wink:

I think peeps for any song you don't know on any playlist should get a few listens before a decision is made, certainly some of the songs I included took me a while for me to love.

I don't even think its 24 hours in so plenty of time.

Correct, we haven't even hit 24 hours yet. Plenty of time.

And with close contests like this one, it's a good thing, because I'm still getting through the end of LJT's list, and I don't wish to vote until I'm done. Yet it appears my vote might make a difference. Even if LJT can't catch Khanada, if the differential is less than 4 votes, a point can be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom