Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • inmyplace13

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In regards to this actual poll, I'm ready to vote.

I've listened to both. imp13's playlist, I think, is the best one he's done so far. Excellent cohesion all the way through, and there are many tracks on there that I liked. But, I think he gets a bit too indie for my tastes. Not that I don't like the majority of the music, I do. But there were parts I truly disliked.

Axver has an excellent presentation of quality songs over a really impressive theme. I was quite taken aback with some of the selections - they sounded...unAxver-like. :wink: But most of them were very good.

I have to say, though (and I brought this up with GG and Screwtape's list in Prog Island regarding Pink Floyd) that you went a bit overboard featuring Neil Finn on four different songs. I like a lot of his stuff, too, but I think it killed your diversity a bit on that first disc.

Six Months In A Leaky Boat is one of my favorite Split Enz songs, however.

The positives far outweigh the negatives for me, and Axver gets my vote. But imp13 will definitely be getting my vote in future rounds.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Will do. I have so much fun making these playlists, and then wear myself out when I start obsessing over them long after they are no longer under my control. :(

The experience in making the playlist is the best part. You don't even have to try because if you let the music take hold, the playlist will come together by itself. :)

Axver said:

Really? There usually seemed to be only three active whenever I checked, though one problem was that some came and went far too quickly.

Believe me, there were certain points when five or six were on the same page before a mod moved them to the LS archive.

Which is what will happen here anyway. By the time Round 2 starts, we'll all know the lists well. It makes no sense to drag it out at that point.

Let's try it and see how it goes. If I find it doesn't work well, perhaps when Round 3 comes along, I'll alter the schedule again.

Screwtape2 said:
I really believe that the Album Game will put to rest a lot of these opinions about different playlists and approaches. By the way, I love your entry. :)

Ah, delicate baby feelings repaired. :wink:

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Screwtape2 said:

The experience in making the playlist is the best part. You don't even have to try because if you let the music take hold, the playlist will come together by itself. :)

Yep, that's how it tends to work. When you're new to this and just want to see what works, you can be a bit stiff at first, but loosening up occurs once you figure out that the results are completely out of your control. :happy: When I first started working on my list, I thought I could make the perfect list; something that would appeal to everyone. It just doesn't work that way, and realizing that is really what causes you to start carving your own niche rather than to try being everything to everyone.

My DI4 playlist is NOTHING like my DI3. It's more loose and emotional. You can really feel the upbeat crests and moody troughs, and the transitions are smooth. Not sure how it'll be accepted, but it's less indie than this playlist was.

phanan said:
Axver has an excellent presentation of quality songs over a really impressive theme. I was quite taken aback with some of the selections - they sounded...unAxver-like. :wink: But most of them were very good.

I have to say, though (and I brought this up with GG and Screwtape's list in Prog Island regarding Pink Floyd) that you went a bit overboard featuring Neil Finn on four different songs. I like a lot of his stuff, too, but I think it killed your diversity a bit on that first disc.

Which tracks surprised you? Let me guess: the opening duo? :wink:

I actually agree completely on the Finn overdose and it's one reason why I personally favour the second part. I always meant to cut out at least two Finn songs, but as the concept developed and the deadline drew closer, I just couldn't find anything else that I felt adequately conveyed what I wished to convey without requiring a drastic reconstruction of the tracklist. It's the one thing I would like to change, but I hope I managed to make it work well enough that it doesn't feel too much like an overdose.

Oh, and I'm willing to give the quicker rounds a try. I'm not convinced it's the best solution, but it's worth a shot.

LemonMelon said:

My DI4 playlist is NOTHING like my DI3. It's more loose and emotional. You can really feel the upbeat crests and moody troughs, and the transitions are smooth. Not sure how it'll be accepted, but it's less indie than this playlist was.

There is no way in the world that you can predict how the next games will go. That is what is so exciting about the upcoming Album Game. :drool:

Oh, don't even get me started on the album game...I'm looking forward to shocking everyone with that entry. :up:

LemonMelon said:
Oh, don't even get me started on the album game...I'm looking forward to shocking everyone with that entry. :up:

Please let it be with My Chemical Romance. :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:

:lol:

At least I like Muse.

I'm choosing between Joy Division and Sonic Youth for one particular spot. Yes found its way onto the playlist as well. Basically, I'm letting my progressive rock freak flag fly. :up:

LemonMelon said:

I'm choosing between Joy Division and Sonic Youth for one particular spot. Yes found its way onto the playlist as well. Basically, I'm letting my progressive rock freak flag fly. :up:

Sonic Youth ftw.

I'm trying to find a spot for them in DI4, but I don't know where.

Which song would you be using?

"Dirty Boots," "100%," "Teen Age Riot?"

I'm probably using "Unmade Bed" if anything.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Sonic Youth ftw.

I'm trying to find a spot for them in DI4, but I don't know where.

Which song would you be using?

"Dirty Boots," "100%," "Teen Age Riot?"

I'm probably using "Unmade Bed" if anything.

I love Teen Age Riot so much. When I saw them, I breathed a sigh of relief when they opened with that. It was awesome. However, I am more into their more accessible recent stuff. Rather Ripped rocks my world. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm jealous you got to see them. :drool:

"Incinerate" is the shit.

:flirt: Opening for the Flaming Lips, no less. That show rocked my soul, and I was a few feet from the stage, right in the mosh pit at the beginning of SY's set.

I've tried to like Sonic Youth, but failed. I didn't mind some of the songs on ... uh .... the album that had "100%" on it. And the other album, with "Kool Thing" on it.

They're just not for me.

Now I want to hurt you.:|

I'll never forget sitting in a dark booth in charge of the lights for "Oklahoma!" and missing The Flaming Lips.

LemonMelon said:

You know you should go with Joy Division. :drool:

I've a couple of Sonic Youth albums on my computer, but neither interest me much. They seemed pretty bland.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Now I want to hurt you.:|

I'll never forget sitting in a dark booth in charge of the lights for "Oklahoma!" and missing The Flaming Lips.

The irony is both painful and hilarious. I'm sorry you missed that, but I promise you shall one day witness their greatness, even if I have to take you to one on my dime. :wink:

@Cori: the album you're referring to is Goo.

@Axver: I went with Joy Division. Disorder is too awesome to turn down. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

The irony is both painful and hilarious. I'm sorry you missed that, but I promise you shall one day witness their greatness, even if I have to take you to one on my dime. :wink:

That will be an event. :rockon:

Yeah, fuckin' "Oklahoma!" It's not like I hated that show enough before.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That will be an event. :rockon:

Yeah, fuckin' "Oklahoma!" It's not like I hated that show enough before.

Did you at least get some sort of ovation at the end? :|

LemonMelon said:
@Axver: I went with Joy Division. Disorder is too awesome to turn down. :wink:

Ha! If Desert Island IV retains the 160 minute length, then that's the third song on my tracklist.

Easily one of JD's best songs. :drool:

It better retain the 160 minute length, I've already finished my list. :angry:

I remember making the DI3 list thinking it was the length of the Prog Island contest... that was fun. :|

Axver said:

Ha! If Desert Island IV retains the 160 minute length, then that's the third song on my tracklist.

Easily one of JD's best songs. :drool:

I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.
Could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man?

:drool: Such great lyrics, and that twangy, reverb-soaked guitar riff makes me move. :dance:

LemonMacPhisto said:
It better retain the 160 minute length, I've already finished my list. :angry:

I remember making the DI3 list thinking it was the length of the Prog Island contest... that was fun. :|

It just seems to me that the trend seems to be towards shorter tracklists. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I suppose we can keep discussing it. I envisage Desert Island IV at least will retain the 160 minute length, but from there? Who knows.

I think the main contests should be 160 minutes, but the mini-contests should be shorter.

They're the appetizers before the main course, you know?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think the main contests should be 160 minutes, but the mini-contests should be shorter.

They're the appetizers before the main course, you know?

Well, I agree with that personally, but it just seems to me that there's increasing negativity about the 160 minute limit.

Back
Top Bottom