Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote!
Axver 8 27.59%
inmyplace13 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #61
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 AM
It's also hard when people are basing their votes on different things.

You know there's at least 5-10 lurkers voting just because someone has songs they like. That's what hurts these contests.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:32 AM
That's fair. I did listen to all the mixes, and to whom anyone I said "I didn't care for that," I hope nobody takes that to mean I was dismissive. It just wasn't up my alley, and I truly did appreciate listening to it.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
It's also hard when people are basing their votes on different things.

You know there's at least 5-10 lurkers voting just because someone has songs they like. That's what hurts these contests.
Hurts? Or helps
Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #64
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Really? Wow, I completely disagree with that. "I don't care for that" is dismissive? "Crap" is completely dismissive.
"I don't care for that" implies to me an attitude of "eh, I can't be bothered wasting my time on that". It's like sticking your nose in the air and dismissively waving someone away with your hand. From reading your other post, though, it seems to me we use the phrase differently; you use it in the way I would use "it's just not my style".

"Crap", on the other hand, at least implies the person took the time to make a judgement rather than dismissing it out of hand. Now, "all the n00b tracklists are sacks of steaming shit that should be fired into the sun" would be brutal - and untrue!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #65
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Hurts? Or helps

Well it does hurt people with relatively obscure lists, like LJT for example. If I voted on it against someone like Meg'sLegs for example purely based on familiarity, it's an easy vote.

Giving it a chance and not liking it is different than ignoring it completely.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
"I don't care for that" implies to me an attitude of "eh, I can't be bothered wasting my time on that".
Ah, well that's why I've been following my comments of "I don't care for that" with a comment saying that I did appreciate hearing songs unfamiliar to me, even if they weren't up my alley.

Of course, I HAVE been saying "I didn't care for it," which implies that I've actually listened to it, since I'm using the past tense.

And maybe "crap" is less harsh a judgement in your hemisphere.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #67
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Safe? I think the concepts and trying for something different is the real challenge. I'd rather use an artist again and again if it creates what I'm looking for. Honestly, not having a concept is playing it safe. Not trying for something special is safe. The payoff is greater when a concept is accepted and enjoyed by others. How can you say some of us are playing it safe when you didn't even have a concept to your playlist? I'd like to think that even though I have used artists multiple times that one of those times made someone pursue an artist further. More importantly, I'd like to think that everyone of my playlists have been unique. To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place isn't anything like The Black Forest and neither are like A Little Chopin/Nightflight. Those were risks in subject and in pushing what a playlist could do. The concepts and structure are where the risks are.
This is the best post made on the thread thus far.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #68
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Isn't that at least part of it though? You're supposed to vote for the playlists you like the most. If a playlist has amazing flow but has horrible songs on it, there's no way I would vote for it. Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. We "n00bs" are just having fun. If we "ruin" the competition with our textureless iPod shuffle-based concoctions, so be it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #69
Vocal parasite

Quote:
And maybe "crap" is less harsh a judgement in your hemisphere.
You Yanks do seem to be more easily offended.

Fuckin' Yanks! /sarcasm

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. We "n00bs" are just having fun.
If I didn't loathe that little applause smiley so damned much, I'd be using it right here.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
You Yanks do seem to be more easily offended.
Feh, you should have seen my reaction when some British guy online called me the c-word once.

We had to tell him that it wasn't the best word to use to an American woman.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #72
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Isn't that at least part of it though? You're supposed to vote for the playlists you like the most. If a playlist has amazing flow but has horrible songs on it, there's no way I would vote for it. Call me crazy, but it seems like being a vet tends to suck the joy out of you. We "n00bs" are just having fun. If we "ruin" the competition with our textureless iPod shuffle-based concoctions, so be it.
That's not my point at all.

It's like if I don't know anything on Lila's list, but know some songs on yours and I vote for you without even giving her list a chance.

I totally agree it's about fun and should be about the songs you like, but Screwtape has a point about trying something different and making a concept. For me, I've made playlists of songs I loved, this time I made one with a concept in mind plus songs I love. It's a win-win, hopefully you all feel the same way.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #73
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Feh, you should have seen my reaction when some British guy online called me the c-word once.

We had to tell him that it wasn't the best word to use to an American woman.
Actually, that's the only word I won't use. I view words as morally neutral and don't see why people get up in arms about "fuck" when used in an appropriate context, but that one word makes me quite uncomfortable. I know of only one person about whom I will use that word with no qualms.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #74
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Safe? I think the concepts and trying for something different is the real challenge. I'd rather use an artist again and again if it creates what I'm looking for. Honestly, not having a concept is playing it safe. Not trying for something special is safe. The payoff is greater when a concept is accepted and enjoyed by others. How can you say some of us are playing it safe when you didn't even have a concept to your playlist? I'd like to think that even though I have used artists multiple times that one of those times made someone pursue an artist further. More importantly, I'd like to think that everyone of my playlists have been unique. To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place isn't anything like The Black Forest and neither are like A Little Chopin/Nightflight. Those were risks in subject and in pushing what a playlist could do. The concepts and structure are where the risks are.
You're painting with fewer colors that way, however. It really is very limiting, and I'm surprised that no one else would find this philosophy a bit dull. It's all up to taste, and we all have different reasons for joining these competitions, and ours just differ in this case.

BTW, you don't have to use the same artists over and over to put together a concept. They don't relate at all. I have a concept playlist, but I just happened to have saved it for the symphonic tourney.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
but that one word makes me quite uncomfortable.
That is what I would call a non-crap statement.

Tags
desert island