Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • inmyplace13

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
corianderstem said:
Crap because you don't care for their tastes in music, or because you don't feel they've grasped the concept of the competition in the way you meant it to be?

Both, but mainly the former.

LemonMelon said:
People listen to these playlists to get exposed to new music.

If you use the same artists again, the music is no longer new to those people. Thus, I consider it a bit indulgent.

*thinks of a way to add another Radiohead-related song on DI4*

I think that's only one reason people listen to the playlists, and it's certainly not the main reason I do. For example, I go into playlists by people such as Screwtape with the intention of having a musical experience. I don't care if I know all of the stuff there; I want to experience atmospheres and emotions and hear stuff I know in new contexts, from a different perspective. That's how I hope people approach my tracklists if they already know some of the bands.

And considering the variety of some bands, a person may not at all be interested by one song, but another might grab their attention. For example, Person A may not care at all for the direct rock-without-any-nuance of Vertigo, but might be captivated by the intense emotion of One Tree Hill.

As for your tracklist, the first disc isn't bad, it has some good songs and sequences. I didn't think much of the second one though.

See, I thought the 2nd disc of El Mel's list was perfect (except the My Bloody Valentine track :wink: )

Casimir Pulaski Day 'til the end was amazing, especially when I was in San Antonio taking a boat ride along the Riverwalk at night.

Axver said:
Both, but mainly the former.

Then just say "I don't care for the newbies' mixes" instead of calling them crap.

Seriously, you're hurting my delicate baby feelings. :wink:

I'm only half serious. No one wants to be lumped in as "crap," but then again, I know my taste in music is very different from yours. And my self-worth is still okay knowing that. :wink:

corianderstem said:

Then just say "I don't care for the newbies' mixes" instead of calling them crap.

As my Icelandic Auto Shop Class Instructor said, "egg-sactly." :up:

Screwtape2 said:
People who use a lot of the same artists are producing really exceptional playlists.

Yeah, but it's just too safe. It really is far more difficult when you limit the amount of similar artists you use, but the payoff is greater. I hope that, by the time we get to Desert Island 67, I'll have a distinction for putting out the most singular and varied playlists every single time. If that limits my votes and keeps me from crafting the "perfect" playlist, so be it.

Originally posted by corianderstem

:up:

Screwtape2 said:
I think Axver means that the quality of concepts and the execution aren't on par with new people's playlists in previous games. On that I would agree. There is a real divide between the quality of veteran playlists and the newcomers. People who use a lot of the same artists are producing really exceptional playlists.

Yes, this is very, very true. QFT.

Perhaps QED too? :wink:

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this argument is about.

Is this about Axver hating on n00bs? What did we expect? He obviously hates happiness. :wink:

We just all have very different tastes. I don't think there is a right answer to all of this, but it sure is fun arguing about it. :wink:

The more I hear you guys talk and talk about this game, the more I think to myself, "Wow, are you in the wrooooooooong damn game!" :lol:

Eh, whatever. I had a blast making my mix, and I'm still really proud of it, even if the result isn't what you veterans were expecting from the competition.

corianderstem said:
The more I hear you guys talk and talk about this game, the more I think to myself, "Wow, are you in the wrooooooooong damn game!" :lol:

Eh, whatever. I had a blast making my mix, and I'm still really proud of it, even if the result isn't what you veterans were expecting from the competition.

:yes:

my list must be craptastic :happy:

I had a lot more fun this time around listening to lists than before.

CoriA's and Lila's are probably more varied than anyone else's in the entire tourney and it made for a good listening experience, which is what this is all about.

corianderstem said:
Lila? I LOVED your mix. :wink:

:sexywink:

sunglasses2.gif

That's the first comment on my list so far!

BTW, the check is in the mail :shh:
dollar.png

Lancemc said:
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this argument is about.

• Axver believes the rule (or lack thereof) concerning the repeating of artists is God's gift to man
  • The vets be dissin' us freshmen :mad:

I did go for an overall theme and listening experience: FUN*.

Is that not an acceptable mood and theme for this competition? :wink:

*and then mellow at the end. Everyone needs to recover from fun.

corianderstem said:
I did go for an overall theme and listening experience: FUN*.

Is that not an acceptable mood and theme for this competition? :wink:

*and then mellow at the end. Everyone needs to recover from fun.

So you're list is like snorting cocaine? :wink:

Lila64 said:
BTW, the check is in the mail :shh:

You'd better have spelled my name right this time, dagnabbit. :grumpy:

Those of you annoyed or all migrainey with the mix I made here may be surprised by my mini-competition entry.

I ain't all sunshine and puppies, you know.

If I was stuck on an island, I'd want to hear music I love and am passionate about. That's how I put my list together. Some of the playlists make me want to walk straight into the ocean and never return
vis.gif
:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
So you're list is like snorting cocaine? :wink:

No, I'm saving that for the disco competition. When is that one coming, by the way? My mix is all ready and everything.

: crickets :

Hello? Anyone? No? Nothing? .... Bueller?

:sad:

corianderstem said:

No, I'm saving that for the disco competition. When is that one coming, by the way? My mix is all ready and everything.

: crickets :

Hello? Anyone? No? Nothing? .... Bueller?

:sad:

I'm just going to use the soundtracks to Boogie Nights and Jackie Brown in their entirety for that tourney. :wink:

I think DI3 has been much more consistent than any other (IE: there aren't any playlists that make me shake my head in sheer disbelief), but there's also nothing that really excites me. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, but it's just too safe. It really is far more difficult when you limit the amount of similar artists you use, but the payoff is greater. I hope that, by the time we get to Desert Island 67, I'll have a distinction for putting out the most singular and varied playlists every single time. If that limits my votes and keeps me from crafting the "perfect" playlist, so be it.

Safe? I think the concepts and trying for something different is the real challenge. I'd rather use an artist again and again if it creates what I'm looking for. Honestly, not having a concept is playing it safe. Not trying for something special is safe. The payoff is greater when a concept is accepted and enjoyed by others. How can you say some of us are playing it safe when you didn't even have a concept to your playlist? I'd like to think that even though I have used artists multiple times that one of those times made someone pursue an artist further. More importantly, I'd like to think that everyone of my playlists have been unique. To The Stars, A Fire Cried No Hiding Place isn't anything like The Black Forest and neither are like A Little Chopin/Nightflight. Those were risks in subject and in pushing what a playlist could do. The concepts and structure are where the risks are.

Lila64 said:
If I was stuck on an island, I'd want to hear music I love and am passionate about.

Yep, that's the way I did my mix as well. But I did pay a lot of attention to the flow and transitions between songs. I felt like a little DJ, playing around in iTunes. It was fun!

corianderstem said:

Huh, I actually think that's harsher. "I don't care for ..." strikes me as very dismissive. "Crap" is at least a judgement as opposed to something purely dismissive.

I just can't get into this tournament like I got into the Prog Island or Desert Island II. I think some people - and not exclusively my favourite veterans - have made amazing tracklists, but in general, my enthusiasm levels aren't that high.

corianderstem said:

Yep, that's the way I did my mix as well. But I did pay a lot of attention to the flow and transitions between songs. I felt like a little DJ, playing around in iTunes. It was fun!

That's all DJs do nowadays anyway, except with REGGAETON. :sad::sad::sad:

corianderstem said:

I tried for flow... we shall see... :shrug:

Axver said:
Huh, I actually think that's harsher. "I don't care for ..." strikes me as very dismissive. "Crap" is at least a judgement as opposed to something purely dismissive.

Really? Wow, I completely disagree with that. "I don't care for that" is dismissive? "Crap" is completely dismissive.

corianderstem said:

Really? Wow, I completely disagree with that. "I don't care for that" is dismissive? "Crap" is completely dismissive.

^:yes:

I don't care for that = not my style. Crap means you think the music is crap as well as our personal taste. While you may not care for our selections, calling our taste crap is harsh :der:

Back
Top Bottom