Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 5 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote!
Axver 8 27.59%
inmyplace13 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2007, 02:49 AM   #151
The Male

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I think the main contests should be 160 minutes, but the mini-contests should be shorter.

They're the appetizers before the main course, you know?
I agree with this as well. I don't see any need for a change.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #152
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 PM
I couldn't survive on a Desert Island with 1 disc of music.

If only there could be a Desert Island Movie contest, but it's not possible.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 AM   #153
The Male

Quote:

If only there could be a Desert Island Movie contest, but it's not possible.
Teh internets would explode from the bandwith usage.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #154
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The closest equivalent I could think of I've already tried in Zoo Station, which was a mild success.

Film snobbery is almost as funny as music snobbery.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #155
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Movies? The only movie I've bothered to see at the cinemas in the last two years - yes, two years - is Snakes On A Plane. I couldn't believe it was actually a movie, so I had to go laugh at it.

I'm just not a big movie fan, especially not considering how much they cost.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #156
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

A fine choice at that.

Going to the theaters is ridiculously expensive, but sometimes worth it, especially with good action flicks and sci/fi.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #157
Vocal parasite

Quote:
A fine choice at that.

Going to the theaters is ridiculously expensive, but sometimes worth it, especially with good action flicks and sci/fi.
Back in Brisbane, I knew a cinema where I could get in, ticket + frozen Coke, for under $10. Here in Melbourne? I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.

I wanted to see The Simpsons Movie for old times' sake, but $17+? Forget it. Maybe I'll torrent it. Nice going, cinemas. You just deterred a genuinely interested customer.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
In regards to the length of songs for Desert Island, most people prefer to keep it at 160 minutes, which is a good amount. One disc is not enough.

There have only been a very small amount of people who considered 80 minutes or 60 minutes a better way to go. Those people can respectively stay with the Symphonic mini-tournament or Space Moon.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #159
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
In regards to the length of songs for Desert Island, most people prefer to keep it at 160 minutes, which is a good amount. One disc is not enough.

There have only been a very small amount of people who considered 80 minutes or 60 minutes a better way to go. Those people can respectively stay with the Symphonic mini-tournament or Space Moon.
You think so? Because if one complaint has characterised this edition of the tournament for me, it would be "160 minutes is too long". You know I definitely favour 160 minutes and possibly even 240, but there have been so many comments of "too much to listen to".

I'm wondering if the solution is not to shorten the tracklist length, but reduce the number of contestants.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

You think so? Because if one complaint has characterised this edition of the tournament for me, it would be "160 minutes is too long". You know I definitely favour 160 minutes and possibly even 240, but there have been so many comments of "too much to listen to".

I'm wondering if the solution is not to shorten the tracklist length, but reduce the number of contestants.
If it is a choice between lowering the number of contestants or the length you have to keep the number of contestants. I think we should go to your plan of 80 minute playlists and the full length ones once in a while. Votes in Desert Island 2 were in the 30's at this time. I'd rather get a bigger pool of listeners and voters than keep the 160 length.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #161
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Back in Brisbane, I knew a cinema where I could get in, ticket + frozen Coke, for under $10. Here in Melbourne? I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.

I wanted to see The Simpsons Movie for old times' sake, but $17+? Forget it. Maybe I'll torrent it. Nice going, cinemas. You just deterred a genuinely interested customer.
I only torrent when there's no possible way I can see it through NetFlix (which is the greatest Internet company ever other than Amazon and eBay.)
Old 08-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I feel comfortable in both universes. I think the two-disc playlist is great for creating a unique journey. I absolutely love the longer stuff while I'm driving across the province, or listening to my mp3 player while hiking. When you're busy, however, it's a little more challenging. That doesn't diminish the fact that it's very rewarding when you do get through it.

The other tournaments are just little hits of musical fun...at least Space Moon is
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #163
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Plus in Space Moon, I can use tracks I've already used and might use in DI4.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

I think the regular Desert Island matches should remain at 160 minutes and any mini-tournaments can stay at 80, but that's just me.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #165
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I haven't found anywhere where the ticket is less than $12. That alone is not worth it, and I can't see a movie without a frozen Coke, so that just makes it even less feasible.
Oh my god, our theaters need frozen Coke out here.

Most of the movies I see in the theaters are matinees, which are still on the expensive side these days.

I try and see the movies I want to see at one of the two cinemas in the Seattle area that have weekend specials: any show before noon is $5.

Tags
desert island