Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• angelordevil

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • AtomicBono

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third heat of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The first heat has just finished, with phanan capturing the first victory of the game by a 21-4 score over Lancemc. Current standings will be displayed in the next thread at the conclusion of the second heat.

This heat has angelordevil battling AtomicBono. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: angelordevil

Tracklist title: From Apathy to Ascension, or "What I Think About in the Shower"

It's hard to ignore the darkness that surrounds us all at the moment. Whether it's global warming, the "War on Terror," or Aids in Africa, we're living and breathing in a time of heartache. Where's the hope? It could be right around that dark corner. It could start with electing the right politician, coming up with a brave new idea...or simply by sharing a bunch of songs that truly move you.

I wanted my tracklist to reflect a kind of arc...with an eventual exit point into something great. That "great" thing could be spirit, friendship, life after war, meeting aliens...love. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Hope you enjoy!

Island 1

1. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Over The Wall" - Heaven Up Here (5:59)
2. Muse - "Apocalypse Please" - Absolution (4:12)
3. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" - Let It Bleed (4:36)
4. The Beatles - "Revolution" - The Beatles - Love (2:14)
5. Thom Yorke - "Harrowdown Hill" (Extended Mix) - Cd Single (Import) (6:59)
6. Smashing Pumpkins - "United States" - Zeitgeist (9:53)
7. David Bowie - "Heroes" - Heroes (6:10)
8. Radiohead - "2 + 2 = 5" - Hail To The Thief (3:24)
9. The Arcade Fire - "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations" - Neon Bible (3:57)
10. Pink Floyd - "Us And Them" - Echoes (7:51)
11. Pixes - "Where Is My Mind?" - Surfer Rosa (3:53)
12. The White Stripes - "I'm Slowly Turning Into You" - Icky Thump (4:34)

Runs: 103: 46

Island 2

1. Sarah McLachlan - "Fear" - Rarieties, B-Sides & Other Stuff (6:41)
2. U2 - "New Year's Day" - U218 (4:18)
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "The Power Of Equality" - Blood Sugar Sex Magic (4:03)
4. Neil Young - "Cowgirl in the Sand" - Greatest Hits (10:08)
5. Weezer - "Island In The Sun" - Weezer (Green Album) (3:20)
6. John Lennon - "Bring On The Lucie (Freda Peeple)" - Children of Men (Soundtrack) (4:13)
7. The Tragically Hip - "Bobcaygeon" - Phantom Power (4:55)
8. The Clash - "Clampdown" - The Essential Clash (3:50)
9. Annie Lennox - "Don't Let It Bring You Down" - Medusa (3:38)
10. John Williams - "E.T. Is Alive!" - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Soundtrack) (4:06)
11. Feist - "I Feel It All" - The Reminder (3:39)
12. Pearl Jam - "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town" - Vs (3:14)
13. Sloan - "I've Gotta Try" Never Hear The End Of It (2:22)
14 R.E.M. "Be Mine" - New Adventures in Hi-Fi (5:32)

Runs: 1:04: 05

Total runtime: 2:07: 51

Forum name: AtomicBono

To encompass the variety of music I listen to, I decided to go with two distinct moods for this playlist. The songs on the first disc, Disorder, are generally aggressive and urgent, cutting to the bone. This was the list for the generally faster, harder music I listen to. The awesome assault of "Spanish Castle Magic" sets the tone (note how it doesn't sound at all dated next to a Rage Against the Machine track). The more dreamy closer of "On & On" provides a perfect segue into the second disc, . ..Into a Dream, which is a much more mellow, atmospheric collection. "A Different Kind of Blue" was used to introduce the disc as such, and I couldn't imagine "A Day In The Life" anywhere on the list except as the last track. Ultimately, I tried to pick songs that went together well but were also some of my favourites. Despite the diversity of the list, I wanted it to feel like one cohesive collection. My hope is that people will listen to this and see that, and maybe check out some artists they wouldn't have otherwise.
AtomicBono

Disorder

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Spanish Castle Magic" - Axis: Bold as Love (3:05)
2. Rage Against the Machine - "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine (5:14)
3. Chevelle - "The Clincher" - This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In (3:43)
4. Mos Def - "Zimzallabim" - The New Danger (3:41)
5. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:47)
6. Tool - "Parabola" - Lateralus (6:03)
7. Bloc Party - "Pioneers" - Silent Alarm (3:34)
8. Interpol - "Say Hello to the Angels" - Turn On the Bright Lights (4:28)
9. Tokyo Police Club - "Be Good" - A Lesson In Crime (2:04)
10. Editors - "Munich" - The Back Room (3:46)
11. Television - "See No Evil" - Marquee Moon (3:53)
12. The Fall of Troy - "Whacko Jacko Steals the Elephant Man's Bones" - Doppelgänger (4:50)
13. Deftones - "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" - Around the Fur (5:08)
14. Sunny Day Real Estate - "Snibe" - The Rising Tide (4:29)
15. U2 - "Discotheque" - Pop (5:21)
16. Organized Konfusion - "Bring It On" - Stress: The Extinction Agenda (3:18)
17. Alien Ant Farm - "Drifting Apart" - truANT (2:56)
18. Joy Division - "Disorder" - Unknown Pleasures (3:43)
19. Film School - "On & On" - Film School (5:39)

Total runtime: 78:23

...Into a Dream

1. Passengers - "A Different Kind of Blue" - Original Soundtracks 1 (2:01)
2. Amusement Parks on Fire - "Vensosa" - Amusement Parks on Fire (4:22)
3. Porcupine Tree - "Trains" - In Absentia (5:56)
4. Wilco - "Wishful Thinking" - A Ghost is Born (4:41)
5. Bang Gang - "Find What You Get" - Something Wrong (3:28)
6. Keane - "Nothing In My Way" - Under the Iron Sea (4:00)
7. Dredg - "Same Ol' Road" - El Cielo (5:14)
8. Radiohead - "Climbing Up The Walls" - OK Computer (5:14)
9. Joseph Arthur - "Can't Exist" - Our Shadows Will Remain (4:08)
10. Outkast - "Da Art of Storytellin' (Part II)" - Aquemini (2:48)
11. Smashing Pumpkins - "Set the Ray to Jerry" - Rarities and B-Sides (4:10)
12. TV On the Radio - "Staring at the Sun" - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (3:26)
13. Pleasant Grove - "Impossible" - The Art of Leaving (6:00)
14. Cee-Lo - "Sometimes" - Cee Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine (5:06)
15. Bright Eyes - "Coat Check Dream Song" - Cassadaga (4:11)
16. The Velvet Underground - "Stephanie Says" - Peel Slowly and See (2:56)
17. Sigur Rós - "Gong" - Takk... (5:35)
18. The Beatles - "A Day In The Life" - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (5:33)

Total runtime: 78:44

UP NEXT: Bonos_Lemon vs. LemonMelon

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
AtomicBono's list has some fantastic songs, and some stuff that is lightyears away from my musical taste. AoD's list, however, is basically stacked with all kinds of awesome. :up:

AtomicBono's musical tastes are so far from my own. However, the flow and total production are superb.

Angelordevil's playlist is one of my favorites of the competition. I love the political overtures. The first disc is very good. The second disc is sort of a let down though. That makes this choice a little tougher than it should be.

My vote goes to Angelordevil.

Angelordevil for me as well.

I'm not really into the aggressive music too much. But in AtomicBono's list, I enjoyed being exposed to Tokyo Police Club, Editors, Porcupine Tree, Keane and TV On The Radio. I'll check out some more of their work. And of course, I love the Hendrix, U2, Wilco, Radiohead, Joseph Arthur and Beatles tracks.

angelordevil has a lot of 5-star tracks for me. Good list. But I like the original version of "Fear" better than the remix.

Last edited:
I also will be going for angelordevil. Island 1 is flawless, really. An excellent disc that has superb cohesion. I didn't care for some things on Island 2, but there was still a lot of good stuff there.

I like how AtomicBono separated Disorder from Into A Dream, and the songs chosen reflect those titles. There are quite a few songs that I like on there, but there was more stuff on there that really isn't my style of music.

I connected with angelordevil's tracklist more.

Good luck to both of you.

Upon first glance, I'd have to go with AOD, but I still need to listen to them both.

Atomic is lucky that "Stephanie Says" has been stuck in my head for days. :drool: :wink:

I have to go with AngelorDevil. There was too much on Atomic Bono's list that I just did not care for.

However, I really appreciated the mix and the chance to be exposed to unfamiliar music. :)

Listening to AOD's playlist right now. At first glance, there are lots of killer songs and some I don't know. I'm not totally sure about the LOVE version of Revolution. It ends so abruptly, did you intend that? Anyway, Harrowdown Hill (extended mix) is worth the price of admission!!! :combust:

I've already heard Atomic Bono's playlist before. Some songs I really liked like ones by Rage, Interpol, JD, Television etc. but a good chunk of it is not my style.

I'll vote after I'm done with both. :)

I am too, it'll be better when we are against each other. That way they have to pick between the 2 lists that are too :rockon: for their tastes. :wink:

Bonos_Lemon said:
I am too, it'll be better when we are against each other. That way they have to pick between the 2 lists that are too :rockon: for their tastes. :wink:

yeah i bet our match will be close

angelordevil's list is cool by the way i do like it a lot, especially the first disc.

i just am sad that you all hate me

do you at least like my cover art? I didnt make it myself. My friend did.

AtomicBono said:

yeah i bet our match will be close

angelordevil's list is cool by the way i do like it a lot, especially the first disc.

i just am sad that you all hate me

do you at least like my cover art? I didnt make it myself. My friend did.

I really dig your list and cover art. I'm glad someone has the balls to include some rap on their list. It definitely inspired me to put some on my list the next time around. Possible some Biggie :drool: The 2nd disc in particular is pretty stellar, too.

That being said, I still had to go with AOD's list. Some of my favorite songs are on there and are used in some interesting ways to make a sweet listening experience.

It was a close vote.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

It definitely inspired me to put some on my list the next time around. Possible some Biggie :drool:

:eyebrow: No, not Biggie. I already have Big Poppa on my DI4. We're not attached at the hip, LMP! :wink: :lol:

At least I changed my Concept album around so we don't have any of the same tracks (hopefully :lol )

My list is a lot better now. Less Radiohead-related stuff and a better flow. So it was all for the best.

:up: As much as I love Radiohead, having basically three of their songs on one disc was a bit much. Plus, you were just asking for the prog crowd to beat you with a large and splinter-covered stick.

Maybe they'll love the Ridiculously Underrated Pink Floyd I threw in there. :wink:

Cutting the Jonny Greenwood track was hard. Bodysong is his Captive Soundtrack, it's that good. The concept album is still pretty electronica-based, moreso than before. I'm really excited to hear everyone else's stuff in that competition, too.

I'm so close to finishing DI4, way too much free time on my hands.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm so close to finishing DI4, way too much free time on my hands.

yeah I have a list of about 50 songs I'm trying to narrow down... I'm definitely going less rocking this time around because apparently my music is too xtreme for Interference to handle :wink: but no really just the way I've been feeling lately has led to something a bit less UNNNGHHHH.

but there will still be Rage. always rage.

GET DOWN WITH THA WARRIA SOUND!

LemonMacPhisto said:

I really dig your list and cover art. I'm glad someone has the balls to include some rap on their list. It definitely inspired me to put some on my list the next time around. Possible some Biggie :drool: The 2nd disc in particular is pretty stellar, too.

That being said, I still had to go with AOD's list. Some of my favorite songs are on there and are used in some interesting ways to make a sweet listening experience.

It was a close vote.

is the cover to your playlist an image macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom