Desert Island III Album Game: Round 1, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Screwtape2

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • U2vertigofly

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second heat of the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

This heat features Screwtape2 vs. U2vertigofly. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

Forum name: U2vertigofly

In my play list I went with a mix of songs that rock, and songs you can relax to. It really picks up quick just over halfway through and builds up to a couple of live tracks with a great energy to them. I ended it with Elvis because he was an influence to nearly all of the other artists on my list and he is defiantly in my top 5 artists of all time. Plus, he is probably the only artist I could listen to that can sing the same line for 5 minutes and make it work. Overall, I enjoy this play list more than my previous play list and I'm glad I got the opportunity to make it for this contest. I called it Iron Tunes, for two reasons. 1. Quite a few of the songs (especially those towards the end) are frequently played on the radio when we lift, and 2. It’s just a kick ass name. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. So I hope you all enjoy and vote for my list.

U2vertigofly’s Iron Tunes

01. The Killers - "Why Do I Keep Counting?" – Sam’s Town (4:24)
02. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" – Neon Bible (3:29)
03. The Rolling Stones - "Paint It, Black" – Aftermath (3:24)
04. Paul McCartney – “Dance Tonight” – Memory Almost Full (2:54)
05. The Who - "Pinball Wizard" – Then And Now (3:03)
06. John Mellencamp - "Crumblin’ Down" – Words & Music (3:34)
07. Billy Idol - "Mony Mony" – Don’t Stop - EP (5:03)
08. Genesis – “Invisible Touch” – Invisible Touch (3:29)
09. The Police- “Can’t Stand Losing You” – Every Breath You Take: The Classics (3:01)
10. Robert Plant & The Strange Sensations – “Shine It All Around” – Mighty Rearranger (4:03)
11. R.E.M. - “It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” – Document (4:06)
12. Jimmy Buffett – “One Particular Harbour” – Meet Me In Margaritaville: The Ultimate Collection (5:30)
13. Big & Rich – “Holy Water” – A Horse Of Different Color (4:16)
14. Dave Mathews – “Some Devil” – Some Devil (4:04)
15. Michael Hutchence & Bono – “Slide Away” – Slide Away (4:24)
16. Pink Floyd – “Comfortably Numb” – The Wall (6:24)
17. Eric Clapton – “Cocaine” – The Cream Of Clapton (3:39)
18. The Band – “Stage Fright” – Stage Fright (3:43)
19. Chuck Berry – “Roll Over Beethoven” – The Anthology (2:24)
20. The Beach Boys – “Help Me, Rhonda” – The Greatest Hits Vol. 1
21. King Cotton Blues Band – “Goin’ Down” – 10’ Tall (7:07)
22. Otis Redding – “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay”- Dock Of The Bay (2:45)
23. Led Zeppelin- “Achilles Last Stand” – Latter Days: The Best Of Led Zeppelin (10:22)
24. The Beatles – “Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows” – Love (3:07)
25. AC/DC – “Hells Bells” – Back In Black (5:12)
26. The White Stripes – “Seven Nation Army” – Elephant (3:51)
27. Green Day – “Working Class Hero” - Instant Karma (4:23)
28. Bon Jovi- “Blaze of Glory” – Cross Road (5:40)
29. The Fratellis – “Flathead” – Costello Music (3:17)
30. Velvet Revolver – “She Builds Quick Machines” – Libertad (4:02)
31. Smashing Pumpkins – “Tarantula” – Zeitgeist (3:49)
32. Aerosmith – “Dream On” – A Little South Of Sanity- Live (4:50)
33. Bruce Springsteen – “Blinded By The Light” – Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ (5:04)
34. Queen – “Hammer To Fall” – Live At Wembley Stadium (6:03)
35. U2 – 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Encore) – The Complete U2 – Live From Boston 1981 (5:01)
36. Elvis Presley – “Suspicious Minds” – Elvis Live (7:27)

Total run time: 2:39:41 (159:41)

UP NEXT: angelordevil vs. AtomicBono

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Screwtape's list has my complete respect; it has some great ideas executed to perfection. However, you are supposed to vote for the playlist you like the most (or, in my case, would actually listen to on a regular basis), and that's U2VF's. Yeah, there are some songs I really can't stand on that list, but the vast majority of it is :drool: .

Best of luck to both of you.

Upon first glance at Screwtape's playlist, I was a little put off by the exceeding amount of mellowness, so was then very surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

U2VertigoFly has a lot of tracks I like on it, and is a good mix, but I have to go with Screwtape.

U2vertigofly has a good list but a lot of it isn't so much my style...screwtape's was amazing, so I'm gonna have to go with his. looks like this is gonna be close though!

I haven't voted yet because I still need to listen to U2vertigofly's tracklist. At first glance, there are a lot of good songs on there, but it will depend for me how well they work together.

Screwtape's Nightflight list might be all he needs to get my vote, though. That part of his playlist is outstanding.

U2Vert's rocks really hard, probably the most out of any list. I love some of the songs (McCartney, AC/DC, Arcade Fire, Stones, White Stripes...) but it has some clunkers (Bon Jovi, Killers, Green Day). I can still listen to this one again though.

Screwtape's is almost the polar opposite in terms of sound, but the mood/flow/stuff everyone votes on are pretty flawless and the songs are still strong. The Little Jimmy Scott track is probably my favorite other than Bowie. That being said, I can't see myself re-listening to this unless I'm in some pensive mood, you know? That's why it's Schindler's List :wink:

It was a toughie, but I had to go with Screwtape.

Screwtape's flow is nearly perfect.

Plus U2VF beat me in that last Desert Island game, so . . . JOKING! I'm totally joking! I would never vote like that. U2VF 's list has some great artists, but just not songs I really like by those artists. It's like great, great artists and all the songs I think are just mediocre by those artists.

So Screwtape. I would listen to a lot of the songs on his disc over and over and over again. :up:

Screwtape. No contest whatsoever. His is one of my favourites in the whole competition.

Chopin - Passengers - Julee Cruise - Dennis McCarthy :combust: Just for that experience, Screwtape gets my vote!

Mad props to U2VF for including Green Day's rendition of Working Class Hero! Amazing!

OK, Screwtape2 it is. After listening to it again, I really appreciate the flow of the playlist. That's what puts it over the top for me.

When I look at strength of songs, though, it's really very close. U2VertigoFly has nearly twice as many songs that I rate 5 stars, but also a lot more 3s and 2s. For the most part, Screwtape2 is consistent throughout with a heavy dose of 4s.

Some of the fun surprises for me were Man With A Harmonica, Farewell and Goodnight (I usually don't like the Smashing Pumpkins) and Hymn. It's also rare for me to like a Phil Collins song, but this one was good. And any playlist with Humdrum is going to get a lot of bonus points from me. But I'll pass on the Holst.

U2VertigoFly's list has a lot of fun upbeat songs, so I'd be happy to take it along in the car, but I'd have to click through Invisible Touch, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. Glad you put that Fratellis song in -- I like that one, but didn't know who sang it.

I'll be the sole person (besides U2VertigoFly) to admit that I didn't skip past Blaze of Glory. I have much guilty pleasure love for that song.

SHOT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWN! in a blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaze of GLO-RAY!

:wink:

corianderstem said:
I'll be the sole person (besides U2VertigoFly) to admit that I didn't skip past Blaze of Glory. I have much guilty pleasure love for that song.

SHOT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWN! in a blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaze of GLO-RAY!

:wink:

:hi5: I like Blaze Of Glory!

just now finally getting around to listening to both of these. i'm listening to screwtape's now, and it's :drool: but u2vf's looks awesome as well.

i will of course hold off on voting until i've played both playlists in their entirety, and i won't even skip blaze of glory :wink:

I came down from a mountain about an hour ago with my decision (actually, it was a hill overlooking the ocean). Great place for listening to this stuff. :drool:

I have to go with Screwtape. I'm in a bit of a contemplative mood after losing a close friend this week, and his playlist definitely tapped into that. Great transitions, with many songs that were unfamiliar to me. I also loved how songs I do have, like the Smashing Pumpkins track, are woven in. On top of that, the first half of "Nightflight" is just great...maybe my favourite part of the entire thing.

U2vertigofly, as others have said, your list really does rock. :rockon: That's something to be proud of. You've got some great classics with Clapton and Zeppelin, and I especially liked the Love version of "Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows." As well, “Slide Away” is a truly under-appreciated song :up:

Hmm, this is a toughie. U2VF's list is more familiar, but there is not as much variety as Screwtapes. I really enjoyed Nightflight, but A Little Chopin was...too atmospheric? I don't really know how to word it.

I don't know which to pick! :scream:

Now that I've listened to both, I can vote.

As previously mentioned, the second half of Screwtape's playlist (Nightflight) is superb throughout. Beautifully constructed with excellent songs. I wasn't as enamored with the first half (A Little Chopin), although there were still a few songs on there that are very good. Not sure if I'd be able to listen to that part over and over on a desert island.

U2vertigofly has many familiar songs to me - some that I really like, others that I don't particularly care for. This playlist would probably get the award for most rocking, that's for sure. While there are classics on there, some other tunes would not be ones that I'd like to have.

So this was a close decision for me, but ultimately my vote went to Screwtape2, because the Nightflight portion of his tracklist trumped everything else in this poll.

This one is close still. If U2vertigofly can get another vote and Screwtape2 stays at 14, at least a point will have been earned, even with a loss. That would give U2vertigofly 3rd place in Group 1.

Last edited:
I love A Little Chopin and the whole playlist in general...perfect combination of all genres and styles...and no one combines classical music with rock better than Screwtape:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom