Desert Island III Album Game: Quarterfinal, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• LemonMelon

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Screwtape2

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second quarterfinal heat of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Our second quarterfinal matchup is LemonMelon vs. Screwtape2. Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: LemonMelon

Hello. First off, let me thank you for reading this little explanatory paragraph, and, more so, for listening to my playlist. I crafted it over the course of 3 months, and it shows. I made sure there was as little fat present as possible, and it was more for your enjoyment, rather than mine because, left to my own devices, this list would be an extremely lengthy, navel-gazing mess rather than the tight aural analysis of my personality that I intended it to be. Or perhaps I’m looking too much into this. That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Now, you may be ask, “is there anything in particular--a concept, a mood, a statement--that you were going for with this list?” The answer is, quite simply, no. My list mostly scrapes the more friendly, sane side of my personality; I wanted something very accessible and enjoyable to be available to you all. In this tournament, I think that artistic statements are best left to those who think they are capable of making such statements within the rules we have been given, and I do not think such a thing is completely possible. So, as a result, I decided to run through my record collection, picking out my favorite songs by each artist, and then I whittled it down to what you see today. Segueing was important to me, and I am quite proud of some of the transitions I was able to come up with. So enjoy yourself. I really want you to!

CD 1
1. U2 – “Zooropa” – Zooropa (6:29)
2. The Shins – “Kissing The Lipless” – Chutes Too Narrow (3:16)
3. Bob Dylan – “Meet Me In The Morning” – Blood On The Tracks (4:19)
4. Joni Mitchell – “Help Me” – Court And Spark (3:23)
5. Steely Dan – “Black Cow” – Aja (5:09)
6. Wilco – “I’m Always In Love” – Summerteeth (3:40)
7. The Byrds – “I’ll Feel A Whole Lot Better” – Greatest Hits (2:33)
8. XTC – “Mayor Of Simpleton” – Oranges And Lemons (3:57)
9. Arcade Fire – “Wake Up” – Funeral (5:32)
10. R.E.M. – “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?” – Monster (3:59)
11. Supergrass – “Pumping On Your Stereo” – Supergrass (3:18)
12. Super Furry Animals – “The International Language Of Screaming” – Radiator (2:13)
13. Oasis – “Cigarettes & Alcohol” – Definitely Maybe (4:48)
14. Jimi Hendrix – “Little Wing” – Axis: Bold As Love (2:25)
15. Marvin Gaye – “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)” – What’s Going On (5:27)
16. Al Green – “Let’s Stay Together” – Greatest Hits (3:17)
17. Sheryl Crow – “If It Makes You Happy” – Sheryl Crow (5:24)
18. Pulp – “Babies” – His ‘N’ Hers (4:03)
19. Beck – “Debra” – Midnite Vultures (5:43)
Total runtime: 79:05

CD 2
1. Radiohead – “Airbag” – OK Computer (4:43)
2. The Flaming Lips – “This Here Giraffe” – Clouds Taste Metallic (3:45)
3. TV On The Radio – “I Was A Lover” – Return To Cookie Mountain (4:20)
4. My Bloody Valentine – “Only Shallow” – Loveless (4:15)
5. Sufjan Stevens – “Casimir Pulaski Day” – Illinois (5:52)
6. Interpol – “Untitled” – Turn On The Bright Lights (3:55)
7. Nick Drake – “Pink Moon” – Pink Moon (2:02)
8. Pink Floyd – “Fearless” – Meddle (6:04)
9. The Turtles – “Happy Together” – Happy Together (2:54)
10. Led Zeppelin – “Over The Hills And Far Away” – Houses Of The Holy (4:48)
11. The Beatles – “Strawberry Fields Forever” – Magical Mystery Tour (4:09)
12. Blur – “Beetlebum” – Blur (5:01)
13. David Bowie – “Golden Years” – Station To Station (3:59)
14. The Who – “Sunrise” – The Who Sell Out (3:05)
15. Paul McCartney – “Every Night” – McCartney (2:39)
16. Todd Rundgren – “I Saw The Light” – Something/Anything? (2:59)
17. The Kinks – “Animal Farm” – Village Green Preservation Society (3:00)
18. Donovan – “Hurdy Gurdy Man” – Greatest Hits (3:18)
19. Prince – “Purple Rain” – Purple Rain (8:39)
Total runtime: 79:37
Total entry runtime: 158:41

Forum name: Screwtape2

Tracklist Title: A Little Chopin & Nightflight

This playlist is about the aliens of society who fall by the hand of the most beautiful human qualities. The first is A Little Chopin and the second is Nightflight. The latter is of particular personal interest to me. I recently found out that Syd Barrett and I have something troubling in come. With the first anniversary of his death coming I’ve been thinking a lot of about that. Syd was a butterfly whose head from the clouds, called him higher and higher. I wanted to put across the beauty of his mind and spirit. Nightflight is an attempt to put you into the chaotic mind of a schizophrenic. Syd had the mind of a hopeless romantic trying to reach the unreachable. I’d like to dedication this playlist to him. This is a presentation of each piece:

An angel spoke: I am the wing by which the ages pass. I am the bird on the lamppost. Everyday I wear this halo that I stole from a local school play. The drama teacher still seeks me out. I also wear this wooden wonder…wings. I fly where other dare not tread…where lovers whisper their nightmares of. I carry two globes…one of war and the other of love. With both I bring what must be to pass. I am an angel of death. I come in the gentle breeze. It was the dream to take off this costume that brought me to the skylight of an apartment. There through the gloom I heard a piano play. Below me rest a lonely woman alone at her piano. The next night I let myself in and lay in bed with her as see whispered of her dreams. A man to sweep me off my feet she said. I had a fantasy above my halo of a life with her. But by nature’s call I had to hunt. Among the darkness her notes continued to play in my head. So I return to the siren’s call. I brought about what must be for her and me by the request of a little more Chopin. :)

A hairless man spoke: I am a dreamer in the words of the outside world…moving closer. Hold my remote. Let’s try to see if you can control the televisions in my head. Just point to the forehead and push away. Try this antenna to see if you’re picking up what I am. …Nothing? Well…at least help me look for the actual remote. I can’t keep these channels from constantly changing. …Nothing? Do you at least what to play with my toy plane? …No? You don’t like broken toy planes? Well…try the remote again. This plane has a story that I like to tell but I don’t want the channels to keep changing during it. I knew a soul in love and taken off his feet by love. He kept trying to find this dream. He went higher and higher in his little wooden plane. Just under the clouds he flew in romantic desperation. On his little radio, a message came in. ‘Syd it’s Roger. Please come down.’ This act of friendship frightened and touched him at the same time. The radio died as his tiny engine cut. A tiny spark of emotion from him ignited the fuel. His plane fell like a burning star across the sky. One last message…‘are you there Roger? Are you there?’ His broken toy plane sank while his courage marked the sky where no others would try a nightflight. :)

A Little Chopin
1. U2- "Beautiful Ghost-Introduction To Songs Of Experience" - Unreleased and Rare (3:54)
2. Todd Rundgren- "Tiny Demons" –Healing (3:09)
3. Little Jimmy Scott- "Sycamore Trees" –Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack (3:58)
4. Frédéric Chopin- "Prelude In D Flat" –The Very Best of Chopin (6:03)
5. Passengers- "Your Blue Room" –Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
6. Julee Cruise- "Mysteries Of Love" –Floating In The Night (4:29)
7. Dennis McCarthy- "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug" -Star Trek-Generations Soundtrack (7:06)
8. Siouxsie & The Banshees- "Night Shift" –Juju (6:06)
9. Ennio Morricone- "Man With A Harmonica" –Once Upon A Time In The West Soundtrack (3:30)
10. Roger Waters- “Overture” –Ca Ira (4:08)
11. Sting- "Island Of Souls" –Soul Cages (6:41)
12. Porcupine Tree- "Stars Die" –The Sky Moves Sideways (5:01)
13. Gabriel Faure- "Pavane in F sharp minor, Op. 50" -Suite "Pelleas Et Melisande", Pavane, Fantaisie, Suite " Masques Et Bergamasques" (5:49)
14. Smashing Pumpkins- "Farewell And Goodnight" –Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (4:23)
Total time: 1:09:45

Nightflight
1. Tori Amos- “Sleeps With Butterflies” –The Beekeeper (3:38)
2. The Police- "Secret Journey" –Ghost In The Machine (3:33)
3. Peter Gabriel- "Humdrum" -1 (3:26)
4. Tears For Fears- "Mad World" –The Hurting (3:35)
5. Depeche Mode- “I Want It All” –Playing The Angel (6:09)
6. Moby- "Hymn" –The Very Best Of Moby (3:19)
7. Fiona Apple- "Shadowboxer" –Tidal (5:26)
8. Roy Orbison- "Running Scared" -The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison (2:15)
9. Miles Davis- “Green” –Aura (4:24)
10. Giacomo Puccini- “Nessum Dorma” –The Ultimate Opera Collection (3:24)
11. David Bowie- “Life On Mars?” –Hunky Dory (3:52)
12. Coldplay- "Politik" –A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:18)
13. The Cure- "Disintegration" –Disintegration (8:23)
14. Gustav Holst- “Op. 32 - 6. Uranus, the Magician” –The Planets (6:02)
15. Arcade Fire- “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” –Funeral (4:48)
16. Phil Collins- "Droned" –Face Value (2:50)
17. Pink Floyd- “Hey You” –The Wall (4:39)
18. Kate Bush- “This Woman’s Work” –The Sensual World (3:35)
Total time: 1:18:36
Total time: 2:28:21

UP NEXT: inmyplace13 vs. BonoIsMyMuse

Competition master list.

Have fun!

There are a lot of songs I really like on LemonMelon's, but I was impressed with Screwtape's concept and development, as well as the diversity of his list.

Axver said:
Screwtape for the entire tournament win.

Well, now that I got Axver's vote out of the way, hopefully things will swing in my favor. :lol: This is one hell of a close match so far. :uhoh:

The two lists I heard first and love pretty much equally. This is some tough shit.

phanan said:
This one is gonna go down to the wire, I can tell.

I haven't made up my mind yet. These are two of the best playlists in the game.

Pick me, and your horse's head will remain safely attached to its neck. :wink:

And yes, it is an offer you can't refuse. :mad:

Last edited:
Don't worry, there's still a lot of time. I thought I had Pla beat when I was up 6-1 and it came down to the last vote. :slant:

LemonMelon said:
Don't worry, there's still a lot of time. I thought I had Pla beat when I was up 6-1 and it came down to the last vote. :slant:

With 19 votes already, I don't see much chance for a four point comeback. You deserve to win anyways. :up:

I was thinking and maybe you were right about the really artistic playlists as Phanan might be the only one in the semi-finals. The voters seemed really split on my playlist for a couple artistic reasons. I think that making art is fucking me up in the long run. :sigh:

Now it's only a two vote margin. Don't write yourself off yet!

Screwtape2 said:

With 19 votes already, I don't see much chance for a four point comeback. You deserve to win anyways. :up:

I was thinking and maybe you were right about the really artistic playlists as Phanan might be the only one in the semi-finals. The voters seemed really split on my playlist for a couple artistic reasons. I think that making art is fucking me up in the long run. :sigh:

If I had to pick a playlist to listen to only once, it'd be yours. Parts of it give me chills, it was insane.

Re-listen: Meg'sLeg's.

Screwtape2 said:

Well, my feeling is that quite a few of these are very artistic as well, just in a different way from yours. imp13's comes to mind. Even mine is quite the opposite.

So don't stop making art. The fascinating thing about these competitions is how people interpret music in different ways. Yours is no exception.

Screwtape2 said:

Only a two-vote comeback needed now. :wink: (Three FTW)

If you think about it, not even Phanan's list is all that "artsy":

Gorillaz
INXS
The Beatles
Blur
Snow Patrol
Coldplay
Elton John(!)
Dire Straits
Arcade Fire
Fleetwood Mac(!)
Led Zeppelin
Bruce Springsteen
Etc......

You've played a great game so far, Screwtape. Not sure who will win at this point, but we both have great lists, and it's showing up on the poll results. :up:

They're not the greatest hits of those artists though, you know? Maybe that's what makes it seem artsy, that sweet mixtape feel.

I believe when Screwtape talks about the art of music, he's not being specific as to what kind of artists are involved, but rather how we put them all together as one cohesive piece. Doesn't matter how well-known artists are, or if they are mostly indie, but it's how you put it all together.

Each one of our playlists is us interpreting music in a certain way. That, to me, is what the artistic nature of it is all about.

Well, no matter how this turns out, let's face it; Phanan has us beat. :wink: I'm willing to make an avatar bet that Phanan will easily win out.

Yeah, I do think so. I used to think imp had a good shot, but, as much as I love his playlist, he might not even make it through this round. :shrug:

phanan said:
I believe when Screwtape talks about the art of music, he's not being specific as to what kind of artists are involved, but rather how we put them all together as one cohesive piece.

I actually mean really artistic in concept and use of tracks. Anyways, ignore my pessimism. I just feel like there is a roadblock when it comes to my playlists because of the artistic nature of them. I just don't know how to make something the majority of people will really like. I almost feel like every playlist has a shot to win except me. I'm also just exhausted and frustrated by the behind the scenes work and the Critic's Choice Awards. I only have two of the nine ballots and I don't want to calculate them all tommorrow. I'm not enjoying the game as much as I should. Anyway, just ignore me. :(

Screwtape2 said:

I actually mean really artistic in concept and use of tracks. Anyways, ignore my pessimism. I just feel like there is a roadblock when it comes to my playlists because of the artistic nature of them. I just don't know how to make something the majority of people will really like. I almost feel like every playlist has a shot to win except me. I'm also just exhausted and frustrated by the behind the scenes work and the Critic's Choice Awards. I only have two of the nine ballots and I don't want to calculate them all tommorrow. I'm not enjoying the game as much as I should. Anyway, just ignore me. :(

Your list is pretty much exactly what I wanted mine to be like but couldn't get to, that perfect soundtrack quality to it. You've made it this far, and can possibly make it farther, so that's sweet. Plus, you turned me onto a bunch of artists and ideas for mood/flow/whatnot that I hadn't heard of before.

That's what it's all about, I think. I'm sure you'll do well in the Critic's list, as well.

Screwtape's is probably one of the best playlists i've listened to, not just in this competition but overall...I can only dream of coming up with something half as good. That's why he's gotten my vote throughout :up:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom