Desert Island III Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• phanan

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Well, here we are. We've made it to the final of the Interference Desert Island Game III! The premise of this game was that all of the Interferencers had been stranded on a desert island and we could only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object was to see which forum member could fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Before we get to the final, congratulations are in order for inmyplace13, who has clinched third place in the tournament with a 11-7 victory over Screwtape2 in the penultimate match. Great job imp13, and well deserved.

The last two standing are phanan and LemonMacPhisto, who is no stranger to finals here. Updated figures for our two finalists:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference

phanan: 18, 6, 0, 0, 79, 40, +39.
LemonMacPhisto: 15, 4, 1, 1, 62, 49, +13.

LemonMacPhisto needs to win outright for the championship, as phanan holds the advantage in tiebreakers.

Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: phanan

Connections

I tend to view my playlist as a book of short stories, each one different from
the next, but having an overall theme of connections between people and how
those connections impact their lives. From soldiers to models, or from lovers
to friends, these songs produce a snapshot of how different people handle things
in their own, unique way, yet together they show how strong those connections
can be.

Enjoy!

1. Moby - "Hymn" - Everything Is Wrong (3:17)
2. Gorillaz - "Last Living Souls" - Demon Days (3:11)
3. Royksopp - "Remind Me (Someone Else's Mix) - Melody A.M. (Bonus Disc) (3:41)
4. Kraftwerk - "The Model" - The Man Machine (3:40)
5. INXS - "The Stairs" - X (4:57)
6. Crowded House - "World Where You Live" - Crowded House (3:05)
7. The Beatles - "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" - Help! (2:08)
8. Blur - "The Universal" - The Best Of Blur (3:59)
9. Snow Patrol - "Chocolate" - Final Straw (3:11)
10. Mew - "Snow Brigade" - Frengers (4:20)
11. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Seven Seas" - Ocean Rain (3:20)
12. Coldplay - "Sleeping Sun" - Talk single (3:08)
13. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:38)
14. Anathema - "Anyone, Anywhere" - Judgement (4:51)
15. Elton John - "Talking Old Soldiers" - Tumbleweed Connection (4:05)
16. Dire Straits - "The Man's Too Strong" - Brothers In Arms (4:39)
17. The Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:29)
18. Guster - "Barrel Of A Gun" - Lost And Gone Forever (3:12)
19. Fleetwood Mac - "Never Going Back Again" - Rumours (2:15)
20. Led Zeppelin - "Bron-Yr-Aur" - Physical Graffiti (2:07)
21. Bruce Springsteen - "Shut Out The Light" - Tracks (3:53)
22. Editors - "All Sparks" - The Back Room (3:33)
23. The Samples - "Everytime" - The Last Drag (4:19)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" - Deadwing (4:19)
25. Mute Math - "Control" - Reset EP (4:37)
26. Interpol - "C'mere" - Antics (3:12)
27. Stars - "Ageless Beauty" - Set Yourself On Fire (4:05)
28. The White Stripes - "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)" -
Icky Thump (3:54)
29. The Rolling Stones - "Street Fighting Man" - Beggars Banquet (3:15)
30. The Who - "Behind Blue Eyes" - Who's Next (3:41)
31. Pink Floyd - "Hey You" - The Wall (4:41)
32. Radiohead - "Let Down" - OK Computer (5:00)
33. U2 - "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" - Million Dollar Hotel (3:44)
34. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Exact Colour" - The Dark Third (4:04)
35. The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up (4:27)
36. Yes - "Evensong" - Union (0:52)
37. Slowdive - "Machine Gun" - Souvlaki (4:27)
38. Sigur Ros - "Refur" - Saeglopur (2:43)
39. Passengers - "Slug" - Original Soundracks I (4:42)
40. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:17)
41. R.E.M. - "Find The River" - Automatic For The People (3:50)
42. Alcest - "Tir Nan Og" - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (6:10)
Total time: 2:38:55

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Since this competition is more artistically slanted, I changed my approach to making this playlist. This playlist is structured to work as an entire body of work, two halves, or four mini-lists (or Acts. if you will), all with openers and closers, unique moods, flow, and whatever kicks ass. It was hard this time around sacrificing somewhat superior songs for other mood-enhancing, still great tracks. That being said, here’s the deal on everything. I really wanted to create a cinematic experience with this list, which feature songs from some of my favorite movies. I was also inspired greatly by Pink Floyd’s epic “Dark Side of the Moon” in how to create a list of songs that can work as an album and by themselves and also by Passengers, and how the music acts to scores for fictional films. As the list develops, the tone may change from song to song or fade into each other as one moving piece. The format is like an iPod format, but it’s structured like a mixtape, I just didn’t want to deal with the time constraints. They’re a bitch.

The transitions between the songs are important here, both musically and lyrically. Lyrical bits in some tracks might be mentioned again in another, if you listen for it you’ll catch it (“Sunken Treasure” to “Nobody Home” is a good example.) Ah, I shouldn’t have to explain all this, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when you listen to all of this. I hope you all enjoy my playlist and especially everyone else’s, and from me, LMP, to you, I just want to thank you for listening to me and letting me be a part of your life today. Because you’ve got a good life! …You got a good life! Sorry, I couldn’t resist the Prison Mike ref, have fun listening!

(Section 1: Nothing’s Gonna Change My World)
1. Sigur Rós - “Starálfur” - Agaetis byrjun (6:47)
2. Sufjan Stevens - “Chicago” - Illinois (6:04)
3. Ray Charles - “What’d I Say? (Parts 1 & 2)” - What’d I Say - Single (5:07)
4. Jackie Wilson - “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” - Higher and Higher (2:53)
5. The Velvet Underground - “Sweet Jane” - Loaded (4:07)
6. Bob Dylan - “The Man in Me” - New Morning (3:07)
7. Cat Stevens - “Tea for the Tillerman” - Tea for the Tillerman (1:03)
8. Bono, Brian Eno, L'Orchestra Filarmonica Di Torino, Michael Kamen & The Edge - “One” - Pavarotti and Friends (5:19)
9. Rufus Wainwright - “Agnus Dei” - Want Two (5:45)
10. The Beatles - “Across the Universe” - No One’s Gonna Change Our World (3:49)

(Section 2: A Quick One)
11. LCD Soundsystem - “All My Friends” - Sound of Silver (7:37)
12. The Bravery - “Public Service Announcement” - The Bravery (3:35)
13. The Flaming Lips - “Race for the Prize (Sacrifice of the New Scientists)” - The Soft Bulletin (4:08)
14. Blind Melon - “No Rain” - Blind Melon (3:39)
15. Queen - “You’re My Best Friend” - A Night at the Opera (2:53)
16. The White Stripes - “Rag & Bone” - Icky Thump (3:48)
17. The Who - “A Quick One, While He’s Away” - A Quick One (8:40)

(Section 2: Exitlude / Section 3: Interlude)
18. The Zombies - “The Way I Feel Inside” - Begin Here (1:27)

(Section 3: The Great Escape)
19. The Shins - “Sleeping Lessons” - Wincing the Night Away (3:58)
20. Arcade Fire - “Keep the Car Running” - Neon Bible (3:29)
21. Bright Eyes - “Four Winds” - Cassadaga (4:16)
22. The New Radicals - “Someday We’ll Know” - Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (3:37)
23. Oasis - “Guess God Thinks I’m Abel” - Don’t Believe the Truth (3:24)
24. Wilco - “Sunken Treasure” - Being There (6:51)
25. Pink Floyd - “Nobody Home” - The Wall (3:11)
26. David Bowie - “Life on Mars?” - Hunky Dory (3:54)
27. Radiohead - “Life in a Glasshouse” - Amnesiac (4:34)

(Section 4: It Makes Me Wonder)
28. Explosions in the Sky - “The Birth and Death of the Day” - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:49)
29. Smashing Pumpkins - “Stand Inside Your Love” - MACHINA / The Machines of God (4:11)
30. Modern English - “I Melt with You” - After the Snow (3:48)
31. Bruce Springsteen - “It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City (Acoustic) - Tracks (2:55)
32. The Rolling Stones - “Gimme Shelter” - Let It Bleed (4:34)
33. Andrew Bird - “Armchairs” - Armchair Apochrypha (6:57)
34. Nick Drake - “River Man” - Five Leaves Left (4:15)
35. Led Zeppelin - “Stairway to Heaven” - Led Zeppelin IV (8:00)

Total time: 2:39:31

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Phanan's list is excellent, it truly does deserve to win after steamrolling everything so far. :up:

But I still hope to make it close. :wink:

You mean I'm not in the final? :wink:

phanan this time. LMP has won enough :wink: No, really, close match here (not by the results so far, but I still think so). Well done both of you :up:

Gotta go with phanan's list. It was a really fun listening experience, and I liked being exposed to a lot of new bands that seem like they're right up my alley.

LMP's list has lots of great songs too.

Wow, maybe LMP's reign is about to come to an end ...

It's probably no secret that my vote goes to phanan, whose tracklist is probably the best in the tournament besides Screwtape's.

Axver said:
Wow, maybe LMP's reign is about to come to an end ...

It's probably no secret that my vote goes to phanan, whose tracklist is probably the best in the tournament besides Screwtape's.
‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮҉So is that the playlist you like best? Or the one which you'd rather spend some time with if trapped on a desert island?

Hey, LMP, I hope you've polished the Desert Island crown so that it's in a respectable enough condition to be handed over to phanan. :wink:

The question at this point is "will Phanan be able to mimic this dominance in DI4?"

The answer? Not likely. :wink: Phanan's list this time out was due to a bizarre aligning of the stars and forces of the universe. But, regardless of how it happened, he kicked all of our asses (well, not mine, but he would have :lol: ), so I guess it's time to gameplan for next year. :up: Great job, Phanan. You deserve that not-so-shiny championship crown. The mob has spoken.

LemonMelon said:
The question at this point is "will Phanan be able to mimic this dominance in DI4?"

The answer? Not likely. :wink: Phanan's list this time out was due to a bizarre aligning of the stars and forces of the universe. But, regardless of how it happened, he kicked all of our asses (well, not mine, but he would have :lol: ), so I guess it's time to gameplan for next year. :up: Great job, Phanan. You deserve that not-so-shiny championship crown. The mob has spoken.

Yeah, I doubt I'll be repeating anytime soon. In fact, based on how my Symphonic playlist is coming together, I'll probably be knocked out immediately in that one.

:lol:

hardyharhar said:
Good job, Phanan. I'm pretty sure it was the Yes song that gave you the edge. :wink:

You liked that, eh? I pretty much had my playlist all set, but didn't like how it transitioned at that point. I had wanted to use a different Postal Service song just before Machine Gun (I had my eyes on Sleeping In), but nothing else worked. Then, with the long fade out of Such Great Heights, I figured a short instrumental in between would make it flow better, so that little Yes song was a last minute addition.

Thanks to everyone who liked my playlist. I thought I did a decent job, but had no idea it would end up winning, let alone go undefeated.

phanan said:

Yeah, I doubt I'll be repeating anytime soon. In fact, based on how my Symphonic playlist is coming together, I'll probably be knocked out immediately in that one.

:lol:

The Album Game might be the most wide open game yet. Seeing the slip and rise of people from DI2 to this one was shocking. You just can't predict how it will go. So you might actually repeat. :shrug:

Axver said:
Hey, LMP, I hope you've polished the Desert Island crown so that it's in a respectable enough condition to be handed over to phanan. :wink:

I got a crown?

I thought it was just a false sense of musical superiority. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I got a crown?

I thought it was just a false sense of musical superiority. :wink:

YOU LOST THE CROWN?! :tsk:

You're disqualified. Forever.

Even though I've been disqualified until the end of time, when are we starting Desert Island IV: A New Hope for Axver? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom