Desert Island Game II: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Welcome to the second B&C Desert Island Game! Liamcool and I originally took the game from the good people at the forum on mikeportnoy.com and this time around it is being co-run by myself, LemonMacPhisto, and Screwtape2. Screwtape and I shall be handling pre-contest organisation, while LMP will run the contest itself. Liamcool remains on standby should we need him.

The premise of the contest is that all Interferencers are about to be stranded on a desert island and you have been allocated the task of compiling the only music we are allowed to take to the island. The rules are:

1. Your collection may not exceed 2 hours, 40 minutes, 0 seconds in length. This was originally in the form of two 80 minute CDs, but this time around, you may choose any medium you desire. In other words, "iPod tracklistings" of a length up to 160 minutes (2 hours 40 minutes) with no break in the middle are permitted. ANY ENTRY 160:01 (2 hours, 40 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organisers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way, e.g. you may not cut off the fade up section at the beginning of U2's Exit. You must use the official album run time. In the case of One Tree Hill, however, you may use either version (the misprinted version without the coda or the correct version with the coda). Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits.
5. IF YOU COMPETED LAST TIME, YOU MUST NOT REPEAT ANY SONGS FROM YOUR PREVIOUS ENTRY. Different competition, different songs. This rule is also to encourage new participants. If you entered last time and cannot remember your tracklisting, see our master list: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160159&highlight=desert+island+album+game
6. Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to the three of us: Screwtape at Salhawkings@yahoo.com and LMP at islagia@aol.com and myself at amakaxver@gmail.com (if you can't do all three for whatever reason, send to Screwtape).

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Answers to the questionaire below the sample formatting. We will have a qualifying round and we wish to compare "apples to apples". The full competition format will be explained once all submissions have been received.
3. OPTIONAL: Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. This is highly recommended to boost your chances of progressing to later rounds. We recommend using "save file.com" (remove the space).
4. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY. If you do not follow it, we will ask you to edit it. The format is:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklisting:
Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

QUESTIONAIRE
Please answer the questions in this questionaire as best you can. We realise it may not be easy to categorise your compilation but this will help us a lot.

What are the main three genres represented?
What is the overall mood, if any?
Is most of the playlist: loud, soft or in between?
What five adjectives would best describe the playlist?

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 10pm US eastern time, 31 January 2007. This is 3am GMT, 1 February 2007, and 2pm Australian eastern savings time, 1 February 2007. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

CONTESTANTS
We will have 24 rather than 16 contestants this time around. Below, I have included the names of everyone who expressed an intention to participate on LMP's previous thread. Please confirm your participation by 15 January 2007. If you do not confirm your participation by then, you will be removed from the contestants list but given a grace period until 22 January 2007. If you still do not confirm your participation by then, you will be permanently removed and only re-admitted if there is a spare space. If you do not wish to participate, let me know and I will remove your name.

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
8. Salome/Lara Mullen combined entry
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day

The unfilled places will be taken on a "first come, first served" basis.

I think that's everything. Got a question? Ask away and we'll be more than happy to clarify details! :)

Good luck!

Well I guess this is me confirming my participation. :)

Can't wait to hear what everyone else comes up with.

Oh yeah, and you're all going down. :wink:

Woot, can't wait. I think I may still have a bit of tweaking to do to my tracklist in order to propel it from the level of "Completely and utterly amazing in a way that instantaneously causes the loss of all bowel control" to the level of "Man, let me tell you what. Jesus wishes he could make a tracklist this good."

Lancemc said:
Woot, can't wait. I think I may still have a bit of tweaking to do to my tracklist in order to propel it from the level of "Completely and utterly amazing in a way that instantaneously causes the loss of all bowel control" to the level of "Man, let me tell you what. Jesus wishes he could make a tracklist this good."

But then you'd just be plagiarising my tracklisting. :tsk:

inmyplace13 said:
I'm in...again.

Looking back on it, You had my favorite tracklisting out of the whole tourney last time

:up:

Last edited:
Righto. Updated list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13

I'll tell you guys one thing, I'm reconsidering my choice for my one Radiohead song, and I have absolutely no idea which one I want to include now. :( One of the hardest decisions of my life.

:wink:

liamcool said:

Your tracklisting has Keith Urban in it. Eww.

No, that's yours, along with Paris Hilton and the Dixie Chicks. :tsk:

I had Gagging Order and Just last time.

Picking a new one was like picking between Elisha Cuthbert, Kate Beckinsale, and Charlize Theron

all bring something to the table, and it'll kill me to just pick one.

Last edited:
liamcool said:

Radiohead suck.

:wink:

Strange you'd say that though, as you're their biggest fanboy. You even married Thom Yorke!

liamcool said:

Radiohead are a poor man's Pink Floyd. A really poor man's Pink Floyd.

That's being kind. Unusual for you.

liamcool said:

Radiohead are a poor man's Pink Floyd. A really poor man's Pink Floyd.

I'd say they're more of a poor man's electronic R.E.M., but that's just me.

Axver said:

Strange you'd say that though, as you're their biggest fanboy. You even married Thom Yorke!

No, I married Robert Smith. Remember? You were the minister!

Axver said:

That's being kind. Unusual for you.

Yeah, I know, I didn't want to get eaten by a group of rabid Interference fanboys.

LemonMacPhisto said:

So you don't like them either? If so, we'll be great friends.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's really a good point though. It always seemed to me, R.E.M. were always one big step ahead of Radiohead in the 90's, the cost of which being R.E.M.'s 90's material being completely overshadowed by Radiohead dominance of the later half of the decade. Before Pablo Honey there was Out of Time and Automatic For The People (arguably R.E.M.'s last two HUGE albums). Before The Bends there was Monster. Before OK Computer there was New Adventures in Hi-Fi. And before Kid A there was Up.

:yes:

liamcool said:

No, I married Robert Smith. Remember? You were the minister!

So you're a bigamist now? Wait until Ian Curtis hears this.

bono_man2002 said:
Put Me Down for this.

So, I just have to make a up compilation of tracks?, only One Track Per Artist. and within the set length?

That would be correct. :)

Updated contestant list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24