Desert Island Game II: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Would Ryan Adams be considered the same artist as Ryan Adams & The Cardinals?

Some playlist developments ride on that decision.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #77
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Screwtape or LMP, do you know enough to comment on inmyplace's question? I've never heard a single note of Ryan Adams's music.

Here's an illustration of how I would lay down the law with one band I know, though, Cliff Richard and The Shadows. The Shadows, by themselves, were a mostly instrumental group, and Cliff Richard by himself was a pop singer. In their early days in the late 50s, The Shadows acted as Cliff's backing band. I would permit someone to use both The Shadows and Cliff Richard And The Shadows, as The Shadows own career was distinct from their career supporting Cliff. However, Cliff's career both with and without The Shadows can be considered as one and I would not permit someone to have one song by Cliff Richard and another by Cliff Richard And The Shadows. In contrast, had Cliff Richard simply been brought in to sing some Shadows songs separately from his solo career, I would instead ban someone from using The Shadows and Cliff Richard And The Shadows, but be happy to allow Cliff Richard and Cliff Richard And The Shadows.

However, I have no idea how things apply to Ryan Adams and Ryan Adams And The Cardinals. Hopefully my description of how I'd lay the law down in another case helps. And keep rule #6 in mind.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #78
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Ryan Adams solo is a different story than his work with the Cardinals I believe.

Yeah, they count separately because of the "Shadows Rule"
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I have this sneaking suspicion that one of our "comparing apples to apples" groups for the qualifying rounds will be you, Screwtape, liamcool, and I.
More than likely.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:

I have this sneaking suspicion that one of our "comparing apples to apples" groups for the qualifying rounds will be you, Screwtape, liamcool, and I.
With Gibsongirl talking concept compilation, you and liamcool pulling out artists most of Interference has never heard of, and my "odd" little playlist (which will probably get more "wtf's" than votes); our group should probably go first. I get the sense that our group will be a little out there so having us go first would give people a little more of a chance to examine them. Less people are going to know our artists compared to most everyone else. What do you think?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #81
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

With Gibsongirl talking concept compilation, you and liamcool pulling out artists most of Interference has never heard of, and my "odd" little playlist (which will probably get more "wtf's" than votes); our group should probably go first. I get the sense that our group will be a little out there so having us go first would give people a little more of a chance to examine them. Less people are going to know our artists compared to most everyone else. What do you think?
Hmm. I'm not sure if it should be first or last. First is when people are enthusiastic to get stuck into the contest, but last allows people more time to discover the artists in our compilations. Keep in mind that people will probably have to download more of our compilations than they will for most others.

This time around, I am also displaying my fondness for melodic rock, but there's still a good concentration of prog. I keep debating just how much prog I wish to use.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #82
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
I'm dyyyyying trying to choose one song from my favourite artists, its so hard!!

I have coincedentially a lot of songs that have titles involving seas/islands and being stuck on an island...hahaha
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
I'm dyyyyying trying to choose one song from my favourite artists, its so hard!!
Me too.

I also find I have more favourite artists than I can squeeze into my allocated time.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #84
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Me too.

I also find I have more favourite artists than I can squeeze into my allocated time.
Maybe you shouldn't be doing a combined entry with Salome.

After all, hippy's spot in the tournament is now up for grabs.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Maybe you shouldn't be doing a combined entry with Salome.

After all, hippy's spot in the tournament is now up for grabs.
I'll do that.

I wouldn't have done the combined entry if someone hadn't told me this involved making cds and posting them out before I read the thread.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #86
Vocal parasite

Ha, oops!

So here's our revised contestants list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. fly so high!
6. LJT
7. Lara Mullen
8. Salome
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick
22. GibsonGirl
23. pepokiss
24. bono_212

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 09:02 AM
I'm not actually pulling out artists Interference has never heard of. Axver is here for a reason.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #89
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:

Oh, boo, you'll be that busy? You have right up until the end of the month, but if you want me to open up your spot again, I will.

yeah, really that busy sorry for pulling out... I feel like an ass... but glad that it went to someone else And I'll definitely be playing along! Just don't have time to make my own entry...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:11 PM   #90
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
I'm not actually pulling out artists Interference has never heard of. Axver is here for a reason.

I really like the name Desert Island Part Deux, not this roman numeral II business.

Tags
desert island