Desert Island Game II: Rules and Sign-up Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2vertigofly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: dinkin' flicka
Posts: 10,792
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd like the thoughts of LMP and Screwtape before making a definite decision, but I'm leaning towards saying it's tentatively allowed as it's a collaboration under the name "Paul McCartney and U2" rather than just being the solo artist/band recording the song.

However, it does push the rules a bit. As rule #6 says, "Any entry that [...] pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition." If someone did just one or two songs like this, I might let it slide, but if it were something like Bono solo, Bono with Daniel Lanois, Bono with Sinead O'Connor, Bono with Kylie Minogue, Bono with ten other people, then I'd invoke rule #6.
all right, good to know, I'll check back for the final decision
__________________

__________________
U2vertigofly is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #62
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
Well, there's 24 now, but if a space opens up, I would like to try, this sounds really interesting, and though mine will probably be the first to go, it's always fun to show other people the music you listen to.

Wait...it only looks like 23...uh...let me know Axver
Aaand you're in!

OK folks, that's it, but leave your name if you want to be considered as a reserve if required.

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
8. Salome/Lara Mullen combined entry
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick
22. GibsonGirl
23. pepokiss
24. bono_212
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #63
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd like the thoughts of LMP and Screwtape before making a definite decision, but I'm leaning towards saying it's tentatively allowed as it's a collaboration under the name "Paul McCartney and U2" rather than just being the solo artist/band recording the song.

However, it does push the rules a bit. As rule #6 says, "Any entry that [...] pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition." If someone did just one or two songs like this, I might let it slide, but if it were something like Bono solo, Bono with Daniel Lanois, Bono with Sinead O'Connor, Bono with Kylie Minogue, Bono with ten other people, then I'd invoke rule #6.
Yeah, I agree with Axver on this one.

Having something like a Police song and a Sting song are fine by me, but if it's like:

Police song
Sting song
song FEATURING STING, HOLLA

then that's a problem.

Something like Paul McCartney and U2 would work and still allow one to have Paul McCartney and U2 work.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #64
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 01:24 AM
oh hay i'm confirming
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #65
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quick question - does the whole "only one song by one band" thing include Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd with the other, more well-known incarnation? I mean, they may as well be two different bands.

It's a long shot, but I really wouldn't mind having "Lucifer Sam" or "Bike" as well as "Comfortably Numb."

My God, my playlist is already at 5 hours and I'm only on the P's. Guess I might have to trim this one down a bit.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #66
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:24 AM
No, it's the band as a whole.

Barrett-era Floyd and Waters/Gilmour-era Floyd still count as Pink Floyd.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #67
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Boohiss.

Oh well, thanks anyway. Guess it'll at least help me narrow it down a bit. Just finished going through artists and my playlist's a good 9.2 hours. That'll be fun narrowing down.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #68
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
oh hay i'm confirming
Hey Khan! Thanks for closing the other thread too.

Now, let's see, who else still needs to confirm their sign up? I think Bono's shades is the only one?

You know, I'm really surprised at the level of interest in this edition of the tournament, as I recall it took us a bit of time to get all 16 together last time. I feel like we could have expanded this all the way to 32 and still filled it quicker than we filled the first edition.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #69
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
Boohiss.

Oh well, thanks anyway. Guess it'll at least help me narrow it down a bit. Just finished going through artists and my playlist's a good 9.2 hours. That'll be fun narrowing down.
Sounds like what mine would have been if I hadn't set my rule of "no insanely long prog epics".

And if you want to include some Syd, may I recommend his solo song Effervescing Elephant?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #70
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Sounds like what mine would have been if I hadn't set my rule of "no insanely long prog epics".

And if you want to include some Syd, may I recommend his solo song Effervescing Elephant?
I might check that out just for this competition.

I'm considering doing a psychadelic theme for my first CD. I'm deciding if the other CD would be pop music, hip hop, indie rock, or some weird hodge-podge of whatever's left over. We'll see if that ends up working out.

I'll probably end up overthinking this thing just to go out in the first round, anyway. So I'm trying not to think TOO hard about it.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #71
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24


I might check that out just for this competition.

I'm considering doing a psychadelic theme for my first CD. I'm deciding if the other CD would be pop music, hip hop, indie rock, or some weird hodge-podge of whatever's left over. We'll see if that ends up working out.
I don't enjoy most of Syd's solo work, but Effervescing Elephant is such a laugh, I love it. I may put it in my own compilation if I have room. I'm still juggling with tracks.

And I'm looking forward to this psychedelic theme of yours.

Quote:
I'll probably end up overthinking this thing just to go out in the first round, anyway.
That's what happened to me last time around! Thank goodness for the repechage rounds this time!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #72
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:24 AM
I just put songs I like and tried to make a discernable flow to them.

It's weird, I have the "iPod tracklisting" block but still break them up like cassette mixtapes.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I don't enjoy most of Syd's solo work, but Effervescing Elephant is such a laugh, I love it.
"Oh yeah!"

I can't wait to get started on this. I was planning on going to bed now, but I've just had a cup of tea so I'm probably going to be up all night anyway. I think Disc 1 is going to be a concept album...

EDIT: More a concept compilation, actually.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #74
ONE<br>love, blood, life
 
hippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Posts: 12,144
Local Time: 03:24 AM
Hey guys, I'm just not going to have time to get this together this time around (school + job = no extra time). So someone else can have my spot...
__________________
Write for Interference!
Email or PM me (kim@interference.com) if you're interested.
hippy is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #75
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I can't wait to get started on this. I was planning on going to bed now, but I've just had a cup of tea so I'm probably going to be up all night anyway. I think Disc 1 is going to be a concept album...
I have this sneaking suspicion that one of our "comparing apples to apples" groups for the qualifying rounds will be you, Screwtape, liamcool, and I.

Quote:
Originally posted by hippy
Hey guys, I'm just not going to have time to get this together this time around (school + job = no extra time). So someone else can have my spot...
Oh, boo, you'll be that busy? You have right up until the end of the month, but if you want me to open up your spot again, I will.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
 

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com