Desert Island Game II: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:

That's really a good point though. It always seemed to me, R.E.M. were always one big step ahead of Radiohead in the 90's, the cost of which being R.E.M.'s 90's material being completely overshadowed by Radiohead dominance of the later half of the decade. Before Pablo Honey there was Out of Time and Automatic For The People (arguably R.E.M.'s last two HUGE albums). Before The Bends there was Monster. Before OK Computer there was New Adventures in Hi-Fi. And before Kid A there was Up.

:yes:

not just that, but Thom's said many times that Stipe was one of his biggest influences in his writing, which is pretty apparent after comparison.

And you brought up a good point too.

Just spend like the past 2 hours reworking and re-envisioning my playlist. It's now nearly "Man, Jesus wishes he could make a playlist this amazing" - level.

Updated list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
8. Salome/Lara Mullen combined entry
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy

Of those from the original post, we're still awaiting confirmation from LJT, Khanada, Fitz, Bono's shades, and beau2iful day.

dazzlingamy said:
i'll do it! But as i don't like the "cool" bands around here im sure i won't stay in that long! But, it will be fun trying to choose one song from each of my favourite artists! what a killer! :D

ah, that's not the point, really :) It's just a helluva lot of fun to see what music other people around here can't live without... and to get to sample their playlists :drool:

My playlist is shaping up to be totally different than last time, though I still don't expect it to get very far :wink:

I have a feeling this is going to be even better than the last one....has Brau been informed? I really want to beat him straight out this time:p

LJT said:
I have a feeling this is going to be even better than the last one....has Brau been informed? I really want to beat him straight out this time:p

:lol:

He's getting more elitist by the day. I'd love to see what he comes up with this time.

I have to redo my 2:40:00 masterpiece :sad:

I think this competition should be stickied this time.

I agree with LMP on the sticky.

Irishteen said:
This sounds cool, can I join? probably won't have a chance in it, but still sounds like a bit of a laugh.

You're in!

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen

Oh come on, 5 spots left.

I wanna see Bee, Zoot, U2Man, Pla, Gibby get in this

:grumpy:

Oh Axver just wanted to ask, in relation to the one song per artist rule, are you allowed enter a song by the band and by the singer solo, or would it have to be one or the other?

Irishteen said:
Oh Axver just wanted to ask, in relation to the one song per artist rule, are you allowed enter a song by the band and by the singer solo, or would it have to be one or the other?

Using both is quite alright! I've got both Crowded House and Neil Finn, and I may be adding a Finn Brothers song too.

A rare few cases may be questionable, but in most scenarios, I'm sure it'll be alright. I doubt anyone here plans on using anything by Devin Townsend/The Devin Townsend Band/Ocean Machine anyway. :wink:

I'll give it a shot, I've got nothing to lose...right?:shifty:

So, it's 1 song per artist and it all must fit on a 160 min. play list?

Axver said:

:lol:

He's getting more elitist by the day. I'd love to see what he comes up with this time.

I think my playlist is a tad hard to categorise...from body rockin' beats to chill out acoustic:D

It is still ok to enter two 80 minute playlists right?

LJT said:
It is still ok to enter two 80 minute playlists right?

Yep, absolutely. You choose the medium. If you want to split your 160 minutes of music up onto vinyl, you can go right ahead. :wink:

U2vertigofly said:
So, it's 1 song per artist and it all must fit on a 160 min. play list?

That's right! As long as it's 160:00 or shorter and no artist is repeated, you're good.

Updated list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly

Righto!

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick

I'm glad to see we're getting a good deal of interest from people who weren't in the competition the last time around. I was a bit worried we'd have trouble filling all 24 spots!

I have a question are group combos counted as one for each band?

I mean, say i wanted to use Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band By Paul McCartney and U2. would that be it for each or no?

I'm probably not even gonna use it, but I'd still like to know:wink:

Last edited:
U2vertigofly said:
I have a question are group combos counted as one for each band?

I mean, say i wanted to use Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band By Paul McCartney and U2. would that be it for each or no?

I'm probably not even gonna use it, but I'd still like to know:wink:

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd like the thoughts of LMP and Screwtape before making a definite decision, but I'm leaning towards saying it's tentatively allowed as it's a collaboration under the name "Paul McCartney and U2" rather than just being the solo artist/band recording the song.

However, it does push the rules a bit. As rule #6 says, "Any entry that [...] pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition." If someone did just one or two songs like this, I might let it slide, but if it were something like Bono solo, Bono with Daniel Lanois, Bono with Sinead O'Connor, Bono with Kylie Minogue, Bono with ten other people, then I'd invoke rule #6.

Also, I PMed GibsonGirl and she's in. Updated list:

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. FitzChivalry
14. Bono's shades
15. beau2iful day
16. inmyplace13
17. bono_man2002
18. dazzlingamy
19. Irishteen
20. U2vertigofly
21. Lemonchick
22. GibsonGirl

Well, there's 24 now, but if a space opens up, I would like to try, this sounds really interesting, and though mine will probably be the first to go, it's always fun to show other people the music you listen to.

Wait...it only looks like 23...uh...let me know Axver :happy:

So pepokiss is in, leaving just one spot left. If you want to get someone to participate, now's the time to PM them!

We will, of course, accept reserves on a "first come, first served" basis in case any contestants drop out.

1. Axver
2. LemonMacPhisto
3. Screwtape2
4. liamcool
5. hippy
6. fly so high!
7. LJT
9. Lancemc
10. XHendrix24
11. Souly
12. KhanadaRhodes