Desert Island Game II: Repechages Match 1 of 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is your favorite tracklisting?

• Axver

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Liamcool

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Desert Island Game II: Repechages Round 1

Repechages Match 1 of 4

Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.
Welcome to the first match of the repechages in the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.
In the repechages, the contestants have one last to chance survive and advance into the tournament.
In the last round, Bono_man2002 beat Phanan in a 19-16 victory.
This round features tracklistings by Axver and liamcool. Axver and liamcool fell early in the qualifying rounds. Now the two have a second chance. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address.
Reminder for contestants: if there was an error on your tracklisting on the master list thread, let me know before your qualifying round so I can post the correct tracklist!

Axver
1. Anathema - "Release" - A Fine Day To Exit (5:47)
2. Marillion - "Kayleigh" (7" edit) - Misplaced Childhood (3:33)
3. Pure Reason Revolution - "Nimos And Tambos" - The Dark Third, US edition (3:44)
4. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:47)
5. Rush - "A Passage To Bangkok" - 2112 (3:35)
6. Spock's Beard - "Skin" - Day For Night (4:01)
7. Delays - "Wanderlust" - Faded Seaside Glamour (3:58)
8. Mew - "The Zookeeper's Boy" - And The Glass Handed Kites (4:43)
9. U2 - "Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)" - New Year's Day single (3:24)
10. Crowded House - "Mean To Me" - Crowded House (3:15)
11. The Chills - "Double Summer" - Soft Bomb (3:13)
12. Dave Dobbyn - "Beside You" - Overnight Success (3:43)
13. Dream Theater - "A Mind Beside Itself III: The Silent Man" - Awake (3:47)
14. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:37)
15. Neil Finn - "Last One Standing" - Try Whistling This (3:04)
16. The Go-Betweens - "Streets Of Your Town" - Bellavista Terrace: Best Of The Go-Betweens (3:38)
17. Midnight Oil - "Forgotten Years" - 20,000 Watt RSL (4:22)
18. The Police - "Invisible Sun" - Ghost In The Machine (3:44)
19. The Verve - "A New Decade" - A Northern Soul (4:12)
20. Platypus - "Oh God" - Ice Cycles (4:16)
21. Hum - "Green To Me" - Downward Is Heavenward (3:55)
22. The Devin Townsend Band - "Slow Me Down" - Accelerated Evolution (4:35)
23. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
24. The Clean - "Thumbs Off" - Anthology (2:58)
25. Television - "See No Evil" - Marquee Moon (3:49)
26. The Cure - "Fire In Cairo" - Three Imaginary Boys (3:40)
27. Split Enz - "I Got You" - True Colours (3:30)
28. The Who - "Pinball Wizard" - Tommy (3:01)
29. Pinback - "Prog" - Blue Screen Life (4:02)
30. Orphaned Land - "Building The Ark" - Mabool (5:02)
31. Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light" - SMPT:e (5:44)
32. REM - "Driver 8" - Fables Of The Reconstruction (3:24)
33. Queen - "Long Away" - A Day At The Races (3:33)
34. Straitjacket Fits - "Sparkle That Shines" - Hail (3:57)
35. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:18)
36. The Shadows - "Wonderful Land" - The Final Collection (2:06)
37. The Wonder Stuff - "Caught In My Shadow" - Never Loved Elvis (3:48)
38. Wolverine - "Hiding" - Still (4:14)
39. Nick Drake - "From The Morning" - Pink Moon (2:30)
40. Joe Satriani - "Tears In The Rain" - The Extremist (1:18)
41. Pink Floyd - "Summer '68" - Atom Heart Mother (5:29)
42. Porcupine Tree - "The Rest Will Flow" - Lightbulb Sun (3:24)
Total runtime: 160:00
For this tournament, I chose to follow a different route than last time, partly due to the ban on repeating songs and partly due to my own desire not to be thematically repetitive and to look at my submission from a different angle. Accordingly, this compilation leans more towards melodic rock, with the metal element of the last submission almost entirely absent and the prog element viewed a new way, seeking to show the genre is not about soulless excess. The compilation is not designed to present a journey or work towards a specific point, but to provide a broad sampling of different moods and themes within a cohesive whole. It can accordingly be enjoyed in full or dealt with in thematic portions appropriate to the listener's mood. There are moments of hope, of politics, of tenderness, of cynicism, of joy, of regret, and a conclusion of sheer beauty in the form of Porcupine Tree's The Rest Will Flow. I feel that this is accordingly an ideal desert island compilation: the moods someone stranded on such an island would feel are diverse and can be addressed by various segments of the tracklisting, and the full effect provides masterfully crafted musical accompaniment to the experience both of the desert island and life in general.

Liamcool
Disc A:
01) Opeth - In Mist She Was Standing - Orchid (14:09)
02) Megadeth - Peace Sells - Peace Sells: But Who's Buying? (4:55)
03) Liquid Tension Experiment - When The Water Breaks - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 - (17:21)
04) Ayreon - Day Twelve: Trauma - The Human Equation (9:00)
05) Rush - By Tor And The Snow Dog - Fly By Night (8:40)
06) Metallica - Master Of Puppets - Master Of Puppets (8:37)
07) King Crimson - The Talking Drum - Lark's Tongue In Aspic (6:33)
08) Anathema - Don't Look Too Far - Judgement (5:40)
09) Marillion - Fugazi - Fugazi (8:33)

Disc B:
01) New Order - Age Of Consent - Power, Corruption and Lies (5:20)
02) The Glove - Like An Animal - Blue Sunshine (4:40)
03) Echo And The Bunnymen - Villiers Terrace - Crocodiles (2:53)
04) Ultravox - Mine For Life - Quartet (4:50)
05) Pink Floyd - Echoes - Meddle (23:35)
06) Dream Theater - Scarred - Awake (10:59)
07) Joy Division - Twenty Four Hours - Closer (4:26)
08) The Cure - Sinking - The Head On The Door (4:55)

UP NEXT: The Final Two Matches of the Repechages featuring tracklistings from Irishteen, Salome, Fly So High!, MacPhistoPT, Adrball and Phanan
Competition master list.
Competition rules.

Last edited:
Ax by a mile.

That liam list is fucking horrendous. If i'm stuck on an island with him, he's dead before the first 14 minute song finishes.

I really hate to vote against Liam as I think his list is one of the best and most under-rated in the entire competition (I wish I had some Opeth, LTE, and Ayreon in my playlist), but I wouldn't have entered my list if I didn't think it was the best, so it's obvious where my vote went.

I do hope people here have checked out the music I uploaded. Bands like Straitjacket Fits, Pure Reason Revolution, Blackfield, The Chills, and Transatlantic really deserve some more attention.

I'm already making another playlist for the next installment of the competition, as there's so much else I wish I could've included. :drool:

I voted for Liamcool.

Axver and Liamcool are both in my top 5. Liam's entry is a unique animal that I think really deserved a spot. In my opinion, the best entries are the ones that stick with you like a great album that you lose yourself in. Liamcool and Axver have those kinds of playlists. Axver's playlist was a unique mood to experience. I remember the first time I listened to Disintegration by The Cure. It felt like I was in another world. Axver's playlist has that quality and I think given the chance to listen to Liamcool's straight through, the same would be true. It is a shame that one of these playlists have to go. The two of you did a stunning job on your entries. You both should be really proud.

MrBrau1 said:
That liam list is fucking horrendous. If i'm stuck on an island with him, he's dead before the first 14 minute song finishes.

That is so unnecessary. There's no need to act like such an elitist music snob...we all have our own tastes. Pardon me while I go listen to some Huey Lewis.

I'm voting for Axver's. Liam's definitely isn't my style; I'm not one for overly long prog/metal.

if i leave my email address can i get the songs on axver's list?? admittingly I don't know all of them. but the inclusion of Hysteria and See No Evil alone makes it worthy... :drool:

woolymammals@gmail.com

ive never voted in this competition before.. are we going to do this again? it's a cool idea, i want to make a playlist :D

Bonochick said:

That is so unnecessary. There's no need to act like such an elitist music snob...we all have our own tastes. Pardon me while I go listen to some Huey Lewis.

Seriously.

Anyway, this is so hard! It's like asking me to pick between my children...if I had children, that is. Axver and Liam have two of my favourite tracklistings in this whole tournament. I'm going to have to mull over this one for a little longer.

Bonochick said:

but i think brau is 200% serious though :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:

Seriously.

Anyway, this is so hard! It's like asking me to pick between my children...if I had children, that is. Axver and Liam have two of my favourite tracklistings in this whole tournament. I'm going to have to mull over this one for a little longer.

I think you'd pick the older child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom