Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• LJT's tracklisting

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Salome's tracklisting

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh qualifying round of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The last round was almost a tie; Bono's shades just snuck by Irishteen with a 16-15 win.

This round features tracklistings by LJT and Salome. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address.

Reminder for contestants: if there was an error on your tracklisting on the master list thread, let me know before your qualifying round so I can post the correct tracklist!

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: LJT

LJT writes: Well here is my slightly manic playlist, the aim was to include as broad a spectrum of music that is representative of moi. The flow of the music is always important to me when making a playlist and that was one of my aims when creating these desert island discs. Sections I think that work particularly well include from "We're Here" to "Little Wing" and from "Do the Whirlwind" to "Boys From School" on the first disc. The run on the second disc from "Mis-Shapes" down to "Ladyflash" I am also particularly proud of, especially considering that I managed to get "Sheep" by Pink Floyd in between some disco, hip-hop goodness. Hopefully everyone will find at least a section of my my playlists enjoyable...it may also be a love hate relationship, as I am sure as well as there being sections you love, there will be the odd one you hate. Please though, definitely check out "Emerald" by Thin Lizzy and "We Do Not Fuck Around" by Viva Voce as they are two very kick ass songs....oh vote for me and enjoy the rest :wink:

Disc A

01. Guillemots- "We're Here"- Through the Windowpane (5:14)
02. Air- "Mike Mills"- Talkie Walkie (4:28)
03. Calexico- "Black Heart"- Feast of Wire (4:48)
04. Nina Simone- "I Put a Spell On You"- Feeling Good The Best Of (2:36)
05. Jimi Hendrix- "Little Wing"- Axis Bold As Love (2:27)
06. Ocean Colour Scene- "It's My Shadow"- Moseley Shoals (4:23)
07. Aimee Mann- "Jacob Marley's Chain"- Whatever (3:01)
08. DeVotchKa- "Charlotte Mittnacht"- How It Ends (3:06)
09. Kate Bush- "Army Dreamers"- The Whole Story (3:14)
10. Architecture in Helsinki- "Do the Whirlwind"- In Case We Die (4:38)
11. Duke Ellington- "Old Man Blues"- Masterpieces 1929-1949 (3:06)
12. Elvis Costello- "Pump It Up"- The Very Best Of (3:13)
13. Primal Scream- "Don't Fight It, Feel It"- Screamadelica (6:54)
14. Hot Chip- "Boys From School"- The Warning (5:19)
15. Super Furry Animals- "Slow Life"- Songbook The Singles (6:59)
16. Talking Heads- "Once In A Lifetimes"- Remain In Light (4:22)
17. David Bowie- "Lady Grinning Soul"- Aladdin Sane (3:52)
18. Horslips- "Dearg Doom"- Train (3:05)
19. Thin Lizzy- "Emerald"- Live and Dangerous (4:33)

Total Running Time- 79:18

Disc B

01. Pulp- "Mis-Shapes"- Different Class (3:46)
02. Blur- "The Universal"- The Great Escape (3:59)
03. Fiona Apple- "Criminal"- Tidal (5:43)
04. Feist- "Inside and Out"- Let It Die (4:17)
05. Pink Floyd- "Sheep"- Animals (10:20)
06. Gnarls Barkley- "Go Go Gadget Gospel"- St Elsewhere (2:19)
07. James Brown- "Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag"- The Best Of James Brown (2:04)
08. The Go!Team- "Ladyflash"- Thunder, Lightning, Strike (4:09)
09. Manic Street Preachers- "Motorcycle Emptiness"- Generation Terrorists (6:08)
10. The Verve- "History"- A Northern Soul (5:26)
11. Nick Drake- "Free Ride"- Pink Moon (3:06)
12. Van Morrison- "Sweet Thing"- Astral Weeks (4:25)
13. Liam Frost & The Slowdown Family- "The Mourners Of St Paul's"- Show Me How the Spectres Dance (4:31)
14. The Beatles- "Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows"- Love (3:07)
15. Viva Voce- "We Do Not Fuck Around"- Get Your Blood Sucked Out (5:49)
16. Sigur Ros- "Seaglopur"- Takk (7:39)
17. The Divine Comedy- "Tonight We Fly"- Promenade (2:57)

Total Running Time- 79:45

Forum name: Salome

01. Frank Zappa - "Peaches en regalia" - Hot Rats - 3:38
02. Jamie Lidell - "Mutiply" - Multiply - 4:26
03. Solomon Burke - "Diamond in your mind" - Don't give up on me - 4:24
04. Gram Parsons - "A song for you" - G.P. - 4:58
05. Aphex Twin - "Girl/By Song" - Richard D. James Album - 4:47
06. Tindersticks - "Dick's slow song" - Curtains - 4:09
07. Tortoise - "I set my face to the hillside" - TNT - 6:09
08. Palace Music - "Give me children" - Arise Therefore - 3:27
09. John Coltrane - "Acknowledgement" - A Love Supreme - 7:48
10. R.E.M. - "E-bow, the letter" - New adventures in Hi-Fi - 5:25
11. Johan - "Staring at the sun" - Thnx_Jhn - 4:34
12. Crowded House - "Fall at your feet" - Woodface - 3:18
13. The Beach Boys - "God only knows" - Pet Sounds - 2:53
14. The Ronettes - "Soldier baby of mine" - Phil Spector: Back to mono - 2:53
15. Vaovy - "Mafé" - Entre mer et ciel - Island blues - 4:51
16. Elis & Tom - "Agues de março" - Elis & Tom - 3:29
17. The Congos - "Fisherman" - Heart of the Congos - 6:03
18. Natacha Atlas - "Duden" - Diaspora - 6:41
19. Martha Wainwright - "Far away" - Martha Wainwright - 2:54
20. Belle & Sebastian - "Asleep on a sunbeam" - Dear catastrophe waitress - 3.22
20. Talking Heads - "Once in a lifetime" - Remain in light - 4:23
21. Pet Shop Boys - "A red letter day" - Bilingual - 4:34
22. Kylie - "I believe in you" - Ultimate Kylie - 3:20
23. U2 - "Lemon" - Zooropa - 6:58
23. The Shins - "New slang" - Oh, inverted world - 3:51
24. Lambchop - "Life's little tragedy" - How I quit smoking - 4:16
25. Lucinda Williams - "Overtime" - World without tears - 3:58
26. Bob Dylan - "I want you" - Blonde on blonde - 3:08
27. Oblivians - "Ride that train" - Play 9 songs with Mr. Quintron - 3:38
28. AC/DC - "Love hungry man" - Highway to hell - 4:17
29. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - "Torture" - Acme - 4:08
28. Guided by voices - "Atom eyes" - Under the bushes, under the stars - 1:42
29. Leonard Cohen - "The faith" - Dear Heather - 4:17
30. Mariza - "Barco negro" - Fado em mim - 4:00
31. Talk Talk - "Time it's time" - Colour of spring - 8:10

Total runtime 154:49

UP NEXT: fly so high! vs LemonMacPhisto

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

A hard one. One has Nina Simone, and the other has my favorite Kylie Minogue song.

Oh dear, the thought that must go into this vote ...

I love both of these lists, they are my two favourites. Both from the boys of Belfast too. :up:

LJT has an amazing list: Nina Simone, Guillemots, Air, Blue, Pulp, Devine Comedy, Gnarls Barkley, The Verve.... :drool:
I don't mind the fact that is has no U2 on it :D

I had to go with Salome, I'm a little bit biased of course but E-bow, the letter is my favourite song (I had it on my list too). Anyone with that would always get my vote.
Also Belle & Sebastian, Kylie, The Shins, Johan, Aphex Twin, Martha Wainwright, Beach Boys :drool:

Btw that was me accidentally posting under my brother's username....wish I did put some U2 on mine now...it may cost me now:sad:

I don't understand the whole "it doesn't get my vote because there's no U2" mentality. Sure, this is a U2 forum and people will obviously have a preference for the band, but I didn't think people would be so closed-minded as to dismiss an otherwise perfectly good tracklisting just because it lacks a song by one specific band. Shall I just boycott almost this entire competition because I'm one of pathetically few contestants with Porcupine Tree in their tracklist? No, that would be absurd. Personally, I think tracklistings should be judged against each other and each other only, not some external arbitrary criteria as well.

Also, for the record, U2 only ended up on my playlist because Treasure fit in well. The same applies to all but two songs - the opener and closer, as I've used them on mix CDs before and thus chose them as my end points. The rest was built from there, with bands added as they fit in. U2 could have missed the cut. The Chills could have missed the cut. Dream Theater came ridiculously close to missing the cut despite the fact they're my second-favourite band (Porcupine Tree, not U2, is first). I'm personally interested in playlists as a whole, not whether a specific band made the cut.

I agree that playlists as a whole should be judged, but let's face it, if you can fit U2 into your playlist, and it works well, you've got an advantage here.

I'll bet when (or if) you did this on the Dream Theater boards, if you didn't have one of their songs, you heard about it.

Like I said, Axver, I was torn between the two of them...so I just used the lack of U2 on one as the deciding factor for which one got my vote.

I went with LJT; there was just more there that I liked, and especially "Mis-Shapes" :drool:

And, as to the whole U2 debate, I somewhat agree with Axver. but also, I think it should be based upon the songs themselves, and for me "Lemon" is just :shrug: That U2 song is in the bottom half of my fav U2 songs and definitely in the bottom 1/4 of all of the songs off "Zooropa", so it wasn't even an issue for me. Even though I LOVE Pulp, I'd feel the same if LJT had picked "Something Changed", a song I don't like, instead of "Mis-Shapes", a song I ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY LOVE :heart: !!!

Last edited:
Well, I just voted for LJT. I was really leaning towards Salome and I still feel that maybe I shouldn't have voted for LJT, but LJT's tracklist seemed more consistent to me. Both tracklistings have songs that I really love. It's just that Salome's has more I truly hate. I'd kill myself with a coconut if I were stuck on a desert island having to endure Kylie.

phanan said:
I agree that playlists as a whole should be judged, but let's face it, if you can fit U2 into your playlist, and it works well, you've got an advantage here.

Which I view as unfortunate. I didn't even realise LJT lacked anything by U2 until it was noted in this thread. Does anyone else lack U2? I don't know, I don't go looking for specific bands.

I'll bet when (or if) you did this on the Dream Theater boards, if you didn't have one of their songs, you heard about it.

Actually, not so. The competition originally came from the forum of Dream Theater's drummer Mike Portnoy, and the determining factor there was really how prog or metal a tracklisting was, not whether it included Dream Theater. The first half of your playlist could've been devoted to Dream Theater, but if the second half was all U2/REM/Crowded House-ish stuff, you weren't going anywhere against a heavily prog tracklisting with no Dream Theater.

Though of course, I'm pretty sure every tracklisting there included at least one song by one of Portnoy's many bands. I can't recall any that didn't have anything from at least one of Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, or Transatlantic.

Last edited:
I voted for LJT for the wide array of different songs.

Axver said:

05. Jimi Hendrix- "Little Wing"- Axis Bold As Love (2:27)
07. Aimee Mann- "Jacob Marley's Chain"- Whatever (3:01)
09. Kate Bush- "Army Dreamers"- The Whole Story (3:14)
16. Talking Heads- "Once In A Lifetimes"- Remain In Light (4:22)
03. Fiona Apple- "Criminal"- Tidal (5:43)
05. Pink Floyd- "Sheep"- Animals (10:20)
10. The Verve- "History"- A Northern Soul (5:26)
12. Van Morrison- "Sweet Thing"- Astral Weeks (4:25)
14. The Beatles- "Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows"- Love (3:07)
16. Sigur Ros- "Seaglopur"- Takk (7:39)

Good luck to both of you through the rest of the game.

given the comments in former desert island threads I reckoned I would lose against just about anyone lol

I never reckoned many people would go through the trouble listening to the lists even if they were offered to them uploaded (not that I had the time to do this anyway) so in the end it's all about rating the couple of songs you do know in both lists
well, it's what I do anyway
it's also why I added a couple better known songs in the end, while trying to watch the flow of my list

I do think my list still suffers from a lack of well known songs
I'd be disappointed though if people would think my list is unaccessible though
I love songs from all over the globe so it only feels natural to me to put some Brasilian Bossa Nova (Elis & Tom) next to Portugese fado (Mariza), Reggea (The Congos produced by the amazing Lee Perry) and Dutch pop (Johan) and some other stuff
but all of these songs are really very accessible
just not the usual pop / indy trite

I am happily surprised by the amount of people who did vote for me and will follow the contest with great interest

ps. I should have actually won this competition if alone for starting with Peaches en regalia and ending with Time it's time :D

Salome said:

I love songs from all over the globe so it only feels natural to me to put some Brasilian Bossa Nova (Elis & Tom) next to Portugese fado (Mariza), Reggea (The Congos produced by the amazing Lee Perry) and Dutch pop (Johan) and some other stuff

:up: :applaud:

Good for you! You should be proud of having a wide musical palette.

And in the end, really, we each have to be happy, content and love our own tracklists, because we're the ones that will be listenting to them, all alone on that desert island, over and over and over and over and once more again until the day we die!!!! :lol:

Re: Re: Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 8

Screwtape2 said:
I voted for LJT for the wide array of different songs.

I thought they both had a wide array of different songs :up:

They did, which is totally cool.

But in the end, I'd vote to cater to my tastes and LJT was closer.

The playlist diversity is great for finding new and exciting music though, which I have so far in spades. :up:

I voted for LJT's because I knew a few more songs, and had the chance to listen to those I didn't know

woah....thought it would be closer than this... I have always thought this contest was more about diversity of playlist though, but not diverse for diversity's sake, but actual good stuff, which Salome did achieve.

Maybe I have thought too much about the concept of 'Desert Island Discs', but when on a desert island I would like to remember most forms of music, from all eras.

But hey tis only a game....one I plan on destroying you all in mwahahahahahaha:cool:

Axver said:
I don't understand the whole "it doesn't get my vote because there's no U2" mentality. Sure, this is a U2 forum and people will obviously have a preference for the band, but I didn't think people would be so closed-minded as to dismiss an otherwise perfectly good tracklisting just because it lacks a song by one specific band.

I was just a bit surprised when given that this is a U2 forum, that someone would choose not include a U2 song on a collection of their favourite music.

I voted for LJT anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom