Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• KhanadaRhodes' tracklisting

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Lara Mullen's tracklisting

Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth qualifying round of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The third qualifying round was a very close-fought battle between dazzlingamy and FitzChivalry, and the forty of you who voted really threw a spanner in the works by splitting your votes 50/50! That's right, Amy and Fitz ended the round tied on 20 votes each. This means that both of them will proceed to the heats, but we haven't yet finalised the details of how this is going to work. At this stage, it looks like one heat will be a three-way clash.

Moving onto the fourth round, the tracklistings of KhanadaRhodes and Lara Mullen will be competing against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

Reminder for contestants: if there was an error on your tracklisting, let me know before your round so I can post the correct tracklist on the thread!

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: KhanadaRhodes

1. Yazoo - "Don't Go" - Upstairs at Eric's (3:11)
2. Human League - "Being Boiled (Fast Version) - Nick Rhodes and John Taylor Present Only After Dark (3:48)
3. Talking Heads - "Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)" - Remain In Light (5:49)
4. Pet Shop Boys - "West End Girls" - Please (4:45)
5. The Bravery - "An Honest Mistake" - The Bravery (3:40)
6. Scissor Sisters - "Comfortably Numb" - Scissor Sisters (4:25)
7. U2 - "Salomé" - Even Better Than The Real Thing (4:33)
8. Massive Attack - "Inertia Creeps" - Mezzanine (5:56)
9. Interpol - "Say Hello To The Angels" - Turn On The Bright Lights (4:28)
10. Led Zeppelin - "The Immigrant Song" - Led Zeppelin III (2:23)
11. Depeche Mode - "Judas" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (5:13)
12. Queen - "I Want To Break Free" - The Works (4:18)
13. Split Enz - "Dirty Creature" - Time and Tide (4:02)
14. David Bowie - "Fame" - Young Americans (4:18)
15. Arcadia - "Election Day (Consensus Mix)" - Election Day (8:33)
16. Japan - "European Son (John Punter 12" Mix)" - Assemblage (5:04)
17. Roxy Music - "Same Old Scene" - Flesh + Blood (3:57)
18. Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Killing Moon" - Ocean Rain (5:48)
19. Franz Ferdinand - "Outsiders" - You Could Have It So Much Better (4:02)
20. The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy for the Devil" - Beggars Banquet (6:18)
21. The Police - "When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around" - Zenyatta Mondatta (3:36)
22. New Order - "The Perfect Kiss" - Low-Life (4:48)
23. VHS Or Beta - "Night on Fire" - Night on Fire (4:01)
24. Duran Duran - "Fame" - Careless Memories (3:17)
25. The Killers - "Somebody Told Me" - Hot Fuss (3:17)
26. Brian Eno - "The True Wheel" - Nick Rhodes and John Taylor Present Only After Dark (5:05)
27. Bronski Beat - "Smalltown Boy" - The Very Best of Jimmy Somerville, Bronski Beat and the Communards (4:57)
28. Tears For Fears - "Broken" - Songs from the Big Chair (2:38)
29. George Michael - "Faith" - Faith (4:13)
30. I Am The World Trade Center - "No Expectations" - The Cover Up (2:46)
31. Max Raabe & Palastorchester - "Let's Talk About Sex" - Superhits Nr. 2" (4:25)
32. Miami Sound Machine - "Conga" - Primitive Love (4:15)
33. The Power Station - "Communication" - The Power Station (3:37)
34. Wang Chung - "Dance Hall Days" - Points on the Curve (4:01)
35. The Zombies - "Time of the Season" - Sony Music 100 Years: Pop Music - The Golden Era 1951-1975 (3:31)
36. Europe - "The Final Countdown" - The Final Countdown (5:12)

Total runtime: 2:38:10

Forum name: Lara Mullen

Ludovico Einaudi - "Nuvole Bianche " - Una Mattina - 5:58
Yann Tiersen - "Comptine d'un autre été l'apres midi" - C'était ici - 2:24
Hasna el Bacharia - "Hakmet Lakdar" Rêves d'Oasis - Desert Blues 2 - 5:49
Azure Ray - "Sleep" - Azure Ray - 5:00
LAMB - "Gorecki" - Lamb - 6:30
R.E.M. - "E-bow the letter" - New adventures in Hi-Fi - 5:25
Martha Wainwright - "Factory" - Martha Wainwright - 3:33
Nina Simone - "Mr Bojangles" - Here comes the sun - 5:02
Leona Naess - "Christmas" - Comatised - 3:42
Sia - "Breathe Me" - Colour the small one - 4:35
Sheila Nicholls - "Fallen for you" - High fidelity soundtrack - 3:16
Neil Young - "Philadelphia" - Philadelphia Soundtrack - 4:07
Ray LaMontagne - "Empty" - Till the sun turns black - 5:17
Blur - "No distance left to run" - 13 - 3:28
Embrace - "Gravity" - Out of Nothing - 4:40
Tali - "21 questions" - Do it For Yourself - 3:46
Lindsey Buckingham - "It was you" - Under the skin - 2:48
The Crystals - "Then he kissed me" - Phil Spector: - Back to mono - 2:37

Total runtime: 78:57

CD 2:
New Order - "Crystal" - Singles - 4:21
Outkast - "Hey Ya" - Speakerboxxx/Love below - 3:53
LCD Soundsystem - "Tribulations" - LCD Soundsystem - 4:59
Soulwax - "Much against everyone's advice" - Much against everyone's advice - 2:48
U2 - "Mofo" - Pop - 5:49
Aphex Twin - "Girl/Boy" - Richard D. James album - 4:52
Muse - "Citizen Erased" -Origin of Symmetry - 7:19
Arcade Fire - "Rebellion (Lies)" - Funeral - 5:10
Lily Allen - "Alfie" - Smile - 2:43
KT Tunstall - "Suddenly I see" - Eye to the telescope - 3:21
No Doubt - "New" - The Singles 1992-2003 - 4:24
The Postal Service - "Brand New Colony" - Give Up - 4:12
Luna - "La poupee qui fait non" - Pop romantique - 2:56
Mc Solaar - "Belle et le bad boy" - Cinquieme As - 3:12
Plastic Bertrand - "Ca plane pour moi" - AN1 - 2:54
Moby - "Feeling so real" - Everything is wrong - 3:23
Underworld - "Born Slippy" - Born Slippy - 11:40

Total runtime: 79:44

UP NEXT: inmyplace13 vs Lancemc

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

We will soon have a diagram of the competition's format, made by either myself or Screwtape.

Have fun!

Sorry about the lateness of this round, folks, though this time is better for me than midnight!

Like the previous round, I'll have to give this one some more thought before voting. I miss the prog rounds. :(

Definitely gotta go with Lara on this one. Her list is extremely strong, and while I like parts of Khananda's, there are certain spots that just kill it for me. There were a few songs on her list I just can't stand. :shrug:

I voted for Khanada, and not just because of this :shifty:

KhanadaRhodes said:
oh and whoever votes for me next round gets immunity from being banned :wink:

Actually I know more of her songs and had an 80s flashback there, though the Wang Chunk(sic) and Europe almost did me in. But it's got Salome! :dance:

I think I have to go with Lara Mullen.

I am a child of the 80s and still love my 80s music, but I hate Miami Sound Machine and Gloria Estefan enough to make me vote for the other one.

But Lara's has a LOT that I really like, too. :wink:

Very, very close. I recognized more from KR's list, but Lara gets my vote because some very wonderful songs made the cut and she also incorporated some more obscure artists. Very good.

I've really enjoyed this competition and part of me wishes I would have participated. Oh well.

My vote goes to Lara, seeing Europe (despite the Arrested Development connection) and Miami Sound Machine is just not easy for me to get past.

Had to go with Khanada here, even the sole Led Zepplin song I like is on there

And...

Wang Chung :combust:

This is going to be REALLY hard. Both have artists I absolutely LOVE! Underworld is probably my 3rd favorite music in the entire world, but the Underworld is countered by the inclusion of Muse :barf:

I'm gonna have to think on this one.

oooooh, and The Crystals "And Then He Kissed Me"!!!! I had that in MY tracklist up until the very end!!!!

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
. . . but Lara gets my vote because some very wonderful songs made the cut and she also incorporated some more obscure artists. Very good.

not to be a jerk or anything, but just because less people know of an artist does not make said artist better than "pop"ular artists.

i understand tastes are subjective, but they should be culled from the music itself, not based upon the popularity or anonymity of it.

just my $ .02

:rant: ok, i'm off my soapbox now.

:wink:

Last edited:
Khanada, almost simply because of one of my favourite ever songs, Dance Hall Days. Both were intriguing and enjoyable though...

Looks like it will be another close one.

I'm not really sure if any of my artists are obscure or anything. I'd say they're all pretty well known.

Sorry about Muse, Fitz. :D To be fair, I'm not much of a fan but that is one track by them that I really do love. Underworld :drool:

I'm always able to send some tracks to anyone who wants to listen to them, I just don't have the time to upload them all to send space. I'm just not in the house enough. :)

Ms Lara tis who I voted for....for the Yann Tiersen, Muse, LCD Soundsystem and Mofo...I salute you*salutes*

Khanada's playlist would have just 80's me out, even though it was generally all quality material, I think I would get sick of it very fast.

Shame someone has to lose this.

I could easily listen to all of Khanada's playlist and really enjoy it. Lara's I could easily put on loop and not get bored of it. For that reason Lara gets my vote.

Ok, so I found the deciding factor, really the ONLY deciding factor: even though I HATE Muse and Kananda has a much better New Order song (Perfect Kiss :drool:) as well as Massive Attack, Interpol and great Led Zeppelin . . . .

. . . . even with all that, I absolutely HATE the song "Fame". I love Bowie and I love John Lennon (co-writer) and I love Duran Duran, but I really dislike that song and it's on there twice.

So Lara it is. (Maybe I'll just go off and chop coconuts while that Muse song is playing. :laugh: )

Lara's list: Underworld :drool: :combust:

"Rebellion (Lies)" my fav AF! :drool:

Moby :drool: :drool:

I went with KhanandaRhodes. The deciding factor was the interesting choice of songs from each artist. This was very close though. Lara's playlist was really good and had a lot of artists foreign to me. So maybe when I look at it again I'lll be able to appreciate it even more. Best of luck to both of you through the rest of the tourney. :up:

On a side note, It is awesome to see another person appreciate Broken by Tears For Fears. Songs From The Big Chair is so good. :drool:

Khanada.

Both tracklistings were good with a few songs I didn't like too much, but the inclusion of Bowie and Eno pushed hers over the edge for me.

Wow, this is close. I hope we don't end up with another draw!

I'm still considering my vote ... Lara has more stuff I like, but Khan's got Dirty Creature.

Ah shit, I just missed being able to vote on this one. That'll teach me for deliberating too long. Well, wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I was going to vote for Khan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom