Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• bono_man2002

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Phanan

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately I went with bono_man, but it was VERY close!

1.The White Stripes - Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground - White Blood Cells (3:04)
2.Crowded House - Chocolate Cake - Woodface (4:02)
4.Pearl Jam - Even Flow - Rearview Mirror (Best Of CD) (5:03)
7.Elvis Costello - No Action - This Years Model (1:59)
12.INXS - Elegantly Wasted - The Years '79-97 (4:34)
15.R.E.M - Man On The Moon - Best Of REM (5:14)
16.The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Solider - Broken Boy Soliders (3:02)
18.Queen - Tie Your Mother Down - A Day AT The Races (4:48)

8.Pink Floyd - WiSh You Were Here - Wish You Were Here (5:40)
11.U2 - Bad - The Unforgetable Fire (6:09)

As promised, to everyone who's voted my way....

cookies.jpg

bono_212 said:
Axver (I'm just going to do them all, not trying to be sarcastic promise):

1: GibsonGirl
2: Screwtape2
3: Tie - dazzlingamy/FitzChivalry
4: Lara Mullen
5: Lancemc
6: XHendrix24
7: Bono's shades
8: LJT
9: LemonMacPhisto
10: U2VertigoFly
11: bono_212

Cheers for that.

And shouldn't the second repechage be KhanadaRhodes vs inmyplace13 vs Lemonchick?

If those of you who've taken over running this thing don't mind, I wouldn't mind taking things back soon. When does this round end?

Speaking of this round, DAMN YOU DANIEL AND PHANAN. This is too hard. Daniel's got awesome goodness like Dream Theater, but phanan has One Tree Hill and a better Porcupine Tree song. How am I meant to choose?!

Eh, if you'd chosen one of my favourite DT songs like Speak To Me or Lifting Shadows Off A Dream or Pull Me Under, you'd get my vote, but Another Day is such that phanan may sway me.

Though if you're willing to give me a Tim Tam when I finally get my arse to Shepparton or the next time you're down in Melbourne, you'll get my vote for sure. :wink:

bono_man2002 said:

That can be arranged :hmm:

If you're serious, a vote's coming your way ... :wink:

(I'll accept anything good involving chocolate, really.)

For you, a packet of Tim Tam's! :wink:

So Much for this competition coming down to musical taste...well you know what I mean.....:lol:

But hey, Bribes are not included in the rules, so who ya gonna call?

Axver said:
If those of you who've taken over running this thing don't mind, I wouldn't mind taking things back soon. When does this round end?

Well, it runs for 48 hours, right? So based on the first post, it looks like we've still got about another 18 hours to go.

I've got nothing to bribe you with, so hopefully my musical goodness will overcome Tim Tam's... :lol:

I'd probably vote for you phanan if you weren't playing me :wink:

I just discoved Television (the band)...gee they have some good stuff.

God my playlist would be so much better if I submitted it now.

I honestly want this to be a draw; both tracklistings deserve to go through.

But a pack of Tim Tams? :drool:

Another close vote.

I guess I'm doing ok considering I signed up at the last minute and had 24 hours to do it.

Funny how you look back at what you put down and think of how much you'd change now.

phanan said:
Funny how you look back at what you put down and think of how much you'd change now.

Even with time to prepare my list I'd probably change 90% of it now

Lara Mullen said:

Even with time to prepare my list I'd probably change 90% of it now

Exactly! In mine I tried to do themes with blocks of songs (70's into slower songs into Brit-Pop into Electronic, etc.). But now I'd probably scale back on the number of songs in any particular block and go for more variety instead.

Ahhhh, well. It is what it is.

Great job, Phanan. :applaud: I voted for you yesterday!

phanan said:
Another close vote.

I guess I'm doing ok considering I signed up at the last minute and had 24 hours to do it.

Indeed. :up:

Both of these playlists are 2 of my favorites, and have some of my favorite bands/songs, but I ultimately went with Phanan because of Jungleland and a Mute Math inclusion.

OK, I ultimately went for Daniel. Sure, he had more that I hated, but he's also got a truckload of my favourites, and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and One Tree Hill nearly swayed me to phanan but couldn't quite do it.

After all, Daniel included She's Lost Control. :drool:

I can't choose, but it doesn't look like it matters if I vote or not. Because I just can't choose, Red Rain and One Tree Hill with Phanan and Knights Of Cydonia, Even Flow, and This River is Wild with Bono_Man, I can't pick :sad:

Axver said:

I think that was our original intention. The problem is the second round is only inmyplace13 vs Lemonchick. Where's the third contestant?

We can only have four repechage rounds, as there are only four places left in the heats. It's meant to be one repechage of two (myself vs Liam) and three repechages of three, with the winner of each going through to join the twelve qualifying round winners in the heats.

PS Could someone please update me on who's won the qualifying rounds?

The repechages will be in two rounds basically. The two people that tied will get in as two differents slots. So we're left with three open spots. The two losers of each group will play with the exception of KhanandaRhodes who will play the winner of Liamcool and Axver. Then the winner of group 3 plays the winner of group 4 and then 5 vs. 6. The winners get a spot in the tourney.

Thursday: Group 1: Axver vs. Liamcool
Group 3: IMP13 vs. Lemonchick
Saturday: Group 4: Irishteen vs. Salome
Group 5: FlySoHigh! vs. MacPhistoPT
Monday: Group 6: Ardball vs. the winner of this round
Axver or Liamcool vs. KhanandaRhodes
Wed: Group 3 winner vs. Group 4 winner
Group 5 winner vs. Group 6 winner

(At the end of the last polls I will randomly draw names that will set the field in the tournament. At that point you can take over teh competition again, Axver.)

OK, uh, I'm vetoing that. For the record, my original idea for the repechages was very similar to that, but I discarded it as I felt it was too convoluted and added an unnecessary stage. My idea - which I thought we'd chosen to use - requires only four repechage rounds. That one requires twice as much.

So I completely don't support that whatsoever.

Congrats to bono_man2002 for winning this around. I would have voted for your list in several other rounds, that's for sure.

Doesn't look like too many people downloaded stuff from mine. Most of my stuff was well-known, but I doubt only person who voted didn't know my first song, for example.

Ah well. Next time I'll join earlier and come up with something even better. :D

Axver said:
OK, uh, I'm vetoing that. For the record, my original idea for the repechages was very similar to that, but I discarded it as I felt it was too convoluted and added an unnecessary stage. My idea - which I thought we'd chosen to use - requires only four repechage rounds. That one requires twice as much.

So I completely don't support that whatsoever.

Okay.

Tonight:
Axver vs. Liamcool> winner gets a spot
K. Rhodes vs. IMP13 vs. Lemonchick> winner gets a spot
Saturday:
Irishteen vs. Salome vs. Fly So High!> winner gets a spot
MacPhistoPT vs. Adrball vs. Phanan> wnner gets a spot

(After those polls, I will randomly draw the seeding)

Monday: DazzinglyAmy vs. FitzChivalry (a play-in game like in The NCCA Tournament)
Tuesday: The whole thing begins.

Screwtape2 said:
Tonight:
Axver vs. Liamcool> winner gets a spot
K. Rhodes vs. IMP13 vs. Lemonchick> winner gets a spot
Saturday:
Irishteen vs. Salome vs. Fly So High!> winner gets a spot
MacPhistoPT vs. Adrball vs. Phanan> wnner gets a spot

(After those polls, I will randomly draw the seeding)

Sounds good.

My original idea had the winner of myself and Liam going to heat eight, winner of Khan/IMP/Lemonchick going to heat six, Irishteen/Salome/FSH! to heat four, and MacPPT/Adrian/phanan to heat two. If I remember correctly, that avoids the possibility of anyone meeting their qualifying round opponent until rather late in the game (might've even been not until the final). You might need to check that to confirm though, as I'm not 100% sure.

Let me know if you want to go with that or stick to random seeding. I'm cool with either as long as no-one comes out of the repechage only to be flogged again by someone they've already lost to.

Also, I won't have time to start any rounds until early in the US morning, so if you or someone wants to start the repechages this US evening, go ahead. Means I don't have to start my own round anyway, as I wanted.

Monday: DazzinglyAmy vs. FitzChivalry (a play-in game like in The NCCA Tournament)

Don't quite get what you mean there.

Axver said:

Sounds good.

My original idea had the winner of myself and Liam going to heat eight, winner of Khan/IMP/Lemonchick going to heat six, Irishteen/Salome/FSH! to heat four, and MacPPT/Adrian/phanan to heat two. If I remember correctly, that avoids the possibility of anyone meeting their qualifying round opponent until rather late in the game (might've even been not until the final). You might need to check that to confirm though, as I'm not 100% sure.

Let me know if you want to go with that or stick to random seeding. I'm cool with either as long as no-one comes out of the repechage only to be flogged again by someone they've already lost to.

Also, I won't have time to start any rounds until early in the US morning, so if you or someone wants to start the repechages this US evening, go ahead. Means I don't have to start my own round anyway, as I wanted.

Don't quite get what you mean there.

I remember that random seeding was the consensus from the start. When I seed, I'll try to make it so it is unlikely that two people who played before don't meet early in the toruney.

As for the play-in game, to avoid a round of three people we make the two that tied in the qualifying rounds play to decide who goes in. Basically, a play-in game is just what it sounds like. Both people are in the tournament but only one will go on to play in the round of 16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-in_game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom