Desert Island Game II: Qualifying Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• GibsonGirl's tracklisting

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Axver's tracklisting

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first round of the Interference Desert Island Game II! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Due to how successful the tournament was the first time we did it and the level of interest this time around, we have chosen to expand the tournament from 16 competitors to 24. This, of course, meant the structure of the tournament had to be changed a bit. Essentially, the 8 heats --> 4 quarter finals --> 2 semi-finals --> 1 final format has been augmented. Preceding the eight heats are twelve qualifying rounds, where two contestants face off for a place in the heats. The twelve winners progress to the heats, while the twelve losers are left to battle it out for the four remaining places via a series of repechages. Once we have our sixteen qualifiers, the tournament will progress as it did last time.

In this first round, tracklistings made by GibsonGirl and Axver face off against each other. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. :)

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: GibsonGirl

1. Dire Straits - "Down To The Waterline" - Dire Straits (4:00)
2. Queen - "The Millionaire Waltz" - A Day At The Races (4:54)
3. The Clash - "Death Or Glory" - London Calling (3:55)
4. The Rolling Stones - "Paint It Black" - Forty Licks (3:47)
5. U2 - "A Sort Of Homecoming" - The Unforgettable Fire (5:28)
6. The Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" - Funeral (4:48)
7. Broken Social Scene - "Cause=Time" - You Forgot It In People (5:30)
8. The Beatles - "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" - Abbey Road (7:47)
9. The Smiths - "The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty)" - The Queen Is Dead (6:24)
10. Echo And The Bunnymen - "Show Of Strength" - Heaven Up Here (4:51)
11. Joy Division - "Colony" - Closer (3:55)
12. Television - "Friction" - Marquee Moon (4:42)
13. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:47)
14. Led Zeppelin - "Achilles Last Stand" - Presence (10:23)
15. Pure Reason Revolution - "Aeropause" - The Dark Third (5:46)
16. Pink Floyd - "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)" - Wish You Were Here (12:31)
17. Anathema - "Emotional Winter" - Judgement (5:54)
18. Radiohead - "How To Disappear Completely" - Kid A (5:56)
19. Sigur Rós - "Sæglópur" - Takk... (7:38)
20. Feist - "Lonely Lonely" - Let It Die (4:09)
21. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - "I Want You" - Blood & Chocolate (6:44)
22. Wilco - "Via Chicago" - Summerteeth (5:33)
23. Passengers - "Miss Sarajevo" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:40)
24. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "My Friends" - One Hot Minute (4:02)
25. Nick Drake - "Fly" - Bryter Layter (3:00)
26. John Lennon - "Working Class Hero" - The Very Best Of John Lennon (3:51)
27. DeVotchKa - "This Place Is Haunted" - How It Ends (3:19)
28. The Doors - "The End" - The Best Of The Doors (11:44)

Total runtime: 2:39:58 (159:58)

Forum name: Axver

Axver writes: For this tournament, I chose to follow a different route than last time, partly due to the ban on repeating songs and partly due to my own desire not to be thematically repetitive and to look at my submission from a different angle. Accordingly, this compilation leans more towards melodic rock, with the metal element of the last submission almost entirely absent and the prog element viewed a new way, seeking to show the genre is not about soulless excess. The compilation is not designed to present a journey or work towards a specific point, but to provide a broad sampling of different moods and themes within a cohesive whole. It can accordingly be enjoyed in full or dealt with in thematic portions appropriate to the listener's mood. There are moments of hope, of politics, of tenderness, of cynicism, of joy, of regret, and a conclusion of sheer beauty in the form of Porcupine Tree's The Rest Will Flow. I feel that this is accordingly an ideal desert island compilation: the moods someone stranded on such an island would feel are diverse and can be addressed by various segments of the tracklisting, and the full effect provides masterfully crafted musical accompaniment to the experience both of the desert island and life in general.

1. Anathema - "Release" - A Fine Day To Exit (5:47)
2. Marillion - "Kayleigh" (7" edit) - Misplaced Childhood (3:33)
3. Pure Reason Revolution - "Nimos And Tambos" - The Dark Third, US edition (3:44)
4. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:47)
5. Rush - "A Passage To Bangkok" - 2112 (3:35)
6. Spock's Beard - "Skin" - Day For Night (4:01)
7. Delays - "Wanderlust" - Faded Seaside Glamour (3:58)
8. Mew - "The Zookeeper's Boy" - And The Glass Handed Kites (4:43)
9. U2 - "Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)" - New Year's Day single (3:24)
10. Crowded House - "Mean To Me" - Crowded House (3:15)
11. The Chills - "Double Summer" - Soft Bomb (3:13)
12. Dave Dobbyn - "Beside You" - Overnight Success (3:43)
13. Dream Theater - "A Mind Beside Itself III: The Silent Man" - Awake (3:47)
14. Blackfield - "Christenings" - Blackfield II (4:37)
15. Neil Finn - "Last One Standing" - Try Whistling This (3:04)
16. The Go-Betweens - "Streets Of Your Town" - Bellavista Terrace: Best Of The Go-Betweens (3:38)
17. Midnight Oil - "Forgotten Years" - 20,000 Watt RSL (4:22)
18. The Police - "Invisible Sun" - Ghost In The Machine (3:44)
19. The Verve - "A New Decade" - A Northern Soul (4:12)
20. Platypus - "Oh God" - Ice Cycles (4:16)
21. Hum - "Green To Me" - Downward Is Heavenward (3:55)
22. The Devin Townsend Band - "Slow Me Down" - Accelerated Evolution (4:35)
23. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
24. The Clean - "Thumbs Off" - Anthology (2:58)
25. Television - "See No Evil" - Marquee Moon (3:49)
26. The Cure - "Fire In Cairo" - Three Imaginary Boys (3:40)
27. Split Enz - "I Got You" - True Colours (3:30)
28. The Who - "Pinball Wizard" - Tommy (3:01)
29. Pinback - "Prog" - Blue Screen Life (4:02)
30. Orphaned Land - "Building The Ark" - Mabool (5:02)
31. Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light" - SMPT:e (5:44)
32. REM - "Driver 8" - Fables Of The Reconstruction (3:24)
33. Queen - "Long Away" - A Day At The Races (3:33)
34. Straitjacket Fits - "Sparkle That Shines" - Hail (3:57)
35. Ride - "Vapour Trail" - Nowhere (4:18)
36. The Shadows - "Wonderful Land" - The Final Collection (2:06)
37. The Wonder Stuff - "Caught In My Shadow" - Never Loved Elvis (3:48)
38. Wolverine - "Hiding" - Still (4:14)
39. Nick Drake - "From The Morning" - Pink Moon (2:30)
40. Joe Satriani - "Tears In The Rain" - The Extremist (1:18)
41. Pink Floyd - "Summer '68" - Atom Heart Mother (5:29)
42. Porcupine Tree - "The Rest Will Flow" - Lightbulb Sun (3:24)

Total runtime: 2:40:00 (160:00)

UP NEXT: Liamcool vs Screwtape2

Competition master list.

Competition rules.

And in time, someone (probably me ...) will make a diagram of the competition's format and a link to it will be in this spot in future rounds.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, and vote Axver! :wink:

I would argue that Straitjacket Fits' Sparkle That Shines and particularly Porcupine Tree's The Rest Will Flow are the two most beautiful songs in the entire contest. :drool:

Damnit, I'm losing already?

Ah well, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But if anyone votes for me, I will send you chocolate*! :wink:

*Disclaimer: chocolate will only be sent upon receipt of $1,000.

Avxer got my vote, but I must thank you both for introducing me to Pure Reason Revolution....I'm enjoying them quite a bit:up:

Damn, I forgot to register for this shit. My superior taste in music surely would have catapulted me into first place.

internet24591rn4.jpg

LJT said:
Avxer got my vote, but I must thank you both for introducing me to Pure Reason Revolution....I'm enjoying them quite a bit:up:

I downloaded Pure Reason Revolution a while back. There are some parts I love, and other parts I'm still getting used to, but overall I'm liking the sound.

Although I don't like how the U.S. version is different from the U.K. one.

The song that's on Axver's playlist (Nimos and Tambos) is on the U.S. version, but not on the U.K. one.

In place of it on the U.K. one is Exact Colour.

Also, Trembling Willows is not on the U.S. version.

I think that's it, although I could be wrong. Axver probably knows for sure.

Ah well I think I just downloaded the whole of the UK version...do you prefer the UK version then?

Both lists are very very good. But I have to go with Gibby this time. Sorry Axver. :sad:

Yeah, both lists are awesome. It's a shame one of them has to leave the competition so early... I voted for GG, just because I identify myself with her list more than with Ax's

The heavyweights meet early - I went with Gibby on this one due to the Arcade Fire :uhoh:

I voted for Axver, I was surprised to find out that though we don't listen to really any of the same groups, he listens to a lot of music I really enjoy listening to.

GG

just for being her :love:

and the music, of course :shifty:

were I can get the tracks of the setlists? (I'd like to hear that porcupine tree song in axver's list)

I thought some positive feedback was in order so:

AXVER:
1. Achieved atmosphere
2. Also achieved his goal of melodic rock
3. Great flow
4. Also great mood

GG:
1. Made me fall in love with Arcade Fire again
2. Aeropause into Diamonds was :drool:
3. Also achieved great mood
4. Very balanced playlist

I ended up voting for GG because songs like Tunnels, Aeropause, Diamonds, Working Class Hero and The End have a certain soundtrack quality that works for the desert island concept. This was a really tough call because both playlists were near perfect.

sent an email with the links to LMPA and U2Man.

I can't decide yet - very tough decision here. And Axver, you almost had me at the chocolate, but then I read the fine print :madspit:

:hmm:

phanan said:
The song that's on Axver's playlist (Nimos and Tambos) is on the U.S. version, but not on the U.K. one.

In place of it on the U.K. one is Exact Colour.

Also, Trembling Willows is not on the U.S. version.

I think that's it, although I could be wrong. Axver probably knows for sure.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

From what I understand, the band did not intend for there to be two versions. However, because recording the album took longer than expected and they had contractual obligations to fulfill, they had to release an EP (Cautionary Tales For The Brave) in the UK and used songs they intended to put on the album - because that was all the material they had! So when it came time to record the album proper, they knew they couldn't use some EP tracks and recorded two new songs, The Exact Colour and The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows (the latter I believe to be their best song).

However, because the US never got the EP, when they released The Dark Third there, they had the opportunity to release it with the original intended tracklisting. Accordingly, Nimos And Tambos and Arrival/The Intention Craft were restored to The Dark Third - plus a bonus hidden track, Asleep In Eiderdown, was added after the last track.

I understand there is now a comprehensive edition of the album to be released in Europe.

Lila64 said:
I can't decide yet - very tough decision here. And Axver, you almost had me at the chocolate, but then I read the fine print :madspit:

I'll cut you a deal - just $500 and the chocolate will be two packs each of every variety of Tim Tams. :wink:

Both tracklists are really good, but I'll give it to Axver since I love voting for the underdog. Plus, his had more songs that I'd never heard before (though the songs GibsonGirl put on that I had heard before were some of my favorites:wink:).

A really good start to this contest.

Screwtape2 said:

You don't have to do that, Lila. I got it covered. :wink:

No problem - I just happened to have my Yahoo email open, so I did it. I won't get in your way again :wink:

By the way, did liamcool have links for his songs, or did that list skip right down to your links Screwtape2? I think I'm gonna try & download yours today.

Oh, and Axver... no $$$ will be exchanging hands, but you are welcome to send me TimTams. Actually we still have a box here from our friends in W.Australia.

And I voted for Axver :up:

I like The Doors, but if I had to listen to the 11+ minute of The End on GG's list, I might have to commit suicide :wink:

Lila64 said:

No problem - I just happened to have my Yahoo email open, so I did it. I won't get in your way again :wink:

By the way, did liamcool have links for his songs, or did that list skip right down to your links Screwtape2? I think I'm gonna try & download yours today.

I like The Doors, but if I had to listen to the 11+ minute of The End on GG's list, I might have to commit suicide :wink:

That's alright.

Liamcool didn't have links so just skip down to mine.

If we listened to The End on the island it wouldn't be long until it turned into Lord Of The Flies. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom