Desert Island Album Game: Quarter Final 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• LemonMacPhisto's tracklisting

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • BonoIsMyMuse's tracklisting

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth and last quarter final of the Interference Desert Island Album Game! The premise of this game is that the Interference forum has been stranded on a desert island and we can take only TWO CDs of up to 80 minutes of music each. The object is to see which member of the forum can fit the most musical goodness onto these two CDs.

The third quarter final will still be active for the first seven hours of this round. This round is starting early so that the rounds can start at a more convenient time for me. At the moment, in the third quarter final, Bono's shades leads Souly by 16 votes to 13. Final results for that round as well as this one will be given in the first semi final.

In this quarter final, LemonMacPhisto and BonoIsMyMuse are competing for a place in the second semi final. Below, you will find their tracklistings. If you are unfamiliar with the songs included, we can help you hear them! Just leave your e-mail address. This poll will be open for TWO DAYS.

THE TRACKLISTINGS!

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Disc 1:
Side A:
1 // Pink Floyd - "Speak to Me/Breathe" - Dark Side of the Moon (3:57)
2 // The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next (5:08)
3 // Aerosmith - "Eat the Rich" - Get a Grip (4:11)
4 // The Rolling Stones - "Brown Sugar" - Sticky Fingers (3:49)
5 // Bruce Springsteen - "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" - The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (7:04)
6 // Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - United (2:27)
7 // Simon & Garfunkel - "Mrs. Robinson" - Bookends (3:50)
8 // Radiohead - "Gagging Order" - Go to Sleep [Single] (3:35)
9 // The Beatles - "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - Rubber Soul (2:02)

Side B:
10 // Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing (ft. Sting)" - Brothers in Arms (4:04)
11 // Oasis - "Acquiesce" - The Masterplan (4:30)
12 // The Wallflowers - "One Headlight" - Bringing Down the Horse (5:12)
13 // Franz Ferdinand - "This Fire" - Franz Ferdinand (4:16)
14 // Echo & the Bunnymen - "The Cutter" - Porcupine (3:54)
15 // Peter Gabriel - "Don't Give Up (ft. Kate Bush)" - So (5:55)
16 // Smashing Pumpkins - "My Blue Heaven" - Thirty-Three [Single] (3:21)
17 // R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic for the People (4:17)
18 // David Bowie - "Changes" - Hunky Dory (3:37)
19 // U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - The Joshua Tree (4:38)

Total running time: 79:47

Disc 2:
Side A:
1 // Coldplay - "Don't Panic" - Parachutes (2:17)
2 // The Arcade Fire - "Wake Up" - Funeral (5:35)
3 // U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
4 // Simple Minds - "(Don't You) Forget About Me" - The Breakfast Club [Soundtrack] (4:21)
5 // The Police - "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" - Ghost in the Machine (4:20)
6 // Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean" - Thriller (4:54)
7 // Seal - "Kiss from a Rose" - Seal [1994] (4:51)
8 // The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour (4:07)
9 // Bruce Springsteen - "Jungleland" - Born to Run (9:32)

Side B:
10 // The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up (4:26)
11 // Radiohead - "Just" - The Bends (3:53)
12 // Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Scar Tissue" - Californication (3:37)
13 // Oasis - "Half the World Away" - The Masterplan (4:21)
14 // The Flaming Lips - "Mr. Ambulance Driver" - Wedding Crashers [Soundtrack] (4:00)
15 // Death Cab for Cutie - "Passenger Seat" - Transatlantacism (3:41)
16 // David Bowie - "Heroes" - Heroes (6:08)
17 // Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here (5:17)

Total running time: 79:49

Forum name: BonoIsMyMuse

BonoIsMyMuse writes: I think my first and second discs contrast each other well in both style and theme. The first disc is made up of mostly slow songs, many of which could easily be labeled "depressing." Instead, I'd look at this disc as the first half of a journey; they're songs about being stuck in one way or another, about losing something, or about wanting something and not knowing how to get it. Disc 2, I hope, moves away from that mindset. The songs are more upbeat, and thematically they center around departure, not in a bleak sense but more in a sense of moving on and looking forward. While many don't necessarily offer a "happy ending," I think they do offer a sense of hope.

As with most compilations I make, I was very careful with the ordering of the tracks here. I worked hard to make sure each song flows well into the next. Because of that, the songs are best enjoyed in the order they appear, and not shuffled.

Disc 1

1. The Velvet Underground - "Sunday Morning" - The Velvet Underground and Nico (2:55)
2. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Alison" - The Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions (3:25)
3. Soul Coughing - "True Dreams of Wichita" - Ruby Vroom (5:02)
4. Wilco - "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (6:59)
5. The Killers - "Believe Me Natalie" - Hot Fuss (5:07)
6. U2 - "Elvis Presley and America" - The Unforgettable Fire (5:24)
7. Lucinda Williams - "Essence" - Essence (5:56)
8.R.E.M. - "(Don't Go Back to) Rockville" - Eponymous (4:34)
9.U2 - "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"- Zooropa (5:00)
10. Beck - "Lost Cause" - Sea Change (3:49)
11. The Velvet Underground - "All Tomorrow's Parties" - The Velvet Underground and Nico (5:59)
12. Wilco - "Red-Eyed and Blue" - Being There (disc 1) (2:47)
13. U2 - "Acrobat" - Achtung Baby (4:32)
14. Soul Coughing - "Screenwriter's Blues" - Ruby Vroom (5:10)
15. Lucinda Williams - "Jackson" - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (3:44)
16. Whiskeytown - "Avenues" - Stranger's Almanac (2:33)
17. Cry, Cry, Cry - "Lord, I Have Made You A Place In My Heart" - Cry, Cry, Cry (3:35)

Total running time: 77:37

Disc 2
1. Be Good Tanyas - "The Littlest Birds" - Blue Horse (4:06)
2. Rolling Stones - "Happy" - 40 Licks (disc 2) (3:05)
3. Ryan Adams - "Wish You Were Here" - Rock N Roll (2:59)
4. Bob Dylan - "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" - Highway 61 Revisited (5:32)
5. The Clash - "Train In Vain (Stand By Me)" - Story of the Clash Volume 1 (Disc 1) (3:12)
6. Wilco - "Jesus Etc." - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (3:51)
7. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "High Fidelity" - The Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions (2:29)
8. U2 - "Until the End of the World" - Achtung Baby (4:38)
9. The Killers - "All These Things That I've Done" - Hot Fuss (5:01)
10. Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime" - Sand In the Vaseline (Disc 2) (5:04)
11. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Oliver's Army" - The Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions (3:00)
12. Joni Mitchell - "California" - Blue (3:50)
13. U2 - "One Tree Hill" - The Joshua Tree (4:43)
14. Talking Heads - "This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)" - Sand In the Vaseline (Disc 1) (4:56)
15. Arcade Fire - "No Cars Go" - Arcade Fire (6:04)
16. Rolling Stones - "Sweet Virginia" - Exile on Main Street (4:26)
17. Paul Westerberg - "Things" - 14 Songs (3:22)
18. U2 - "Two Hearts Beat As One" - War (4:03)
19. The Pixies - "La La Love You" - Doolittle (2:43)

Total running time: 77:49

UP NEXT: Semi Final 1 - inmyplace13 versus VertigoGal

Competition master list.

See an image of the competition's format (updated to reflect the quarter final contestants).

The competition rules.

This is going to be a close one. LMP has a badass second disc. I realized the other day I left a few of my favorite songs out of my mix, and I could've fit one of them at the end of the first disc :banghead:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Every time someone votes for Lemon MacPhisto, an angel loses its wings :sad:

only because the angels want to party on the desert island with my cds :rockon:

and look for Walt.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT.

lostmichaelharoldperrineau1tn6.jpg

this is a toughie - I need more time to decide. I'd hate to vote against Costello songs, but I know more of LMP's list than BiMM's :hmm:

Overall I prefer LMP's list (as in I know much more songs on his list) but BIMM's choices of U2 tracks are just :bow:

Stay, UTEOTW, Acrobat, One Tree Hill... :combust:

:hmm:

If you vote for me, I'll send each and every one of you a

wrinklemcwrinklesons.jpg

or at least a

free_hamster_coupon_1.jpg

Come on, people--if you choose a Rice Krispie Treat over a wrinkle dog, you have no soul! :grumpy:

BIMM needs some Radiohead!

I shall JUDGE on head-to-head bands on both track listings. BIMM takes the points there. But again, the lack of Radiohead hurts. Westerberg makes up for it a little though.

:huh:

This was not an easy vote...I eventually chose BIMM, though LMP including Radiohead and Springsteen was almost impossible to resist. BIMM at least had Dyaln, Costello, Wilco, Adams, V. Underground and did not have such big hits for the artist i.e. Kiss from a rose, Every little thing, One headlight, scar tissue, mrs robinson, baba o'reily which would ulitmately feel like listening to a soft rock station.

Last edited:
I see what you mean e2u, but they're still great songs nonetheless no matter their popularity.

Dogs? Hamster coupons? Food?

You can't buy my vote like that.

Money or nothing, people.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I see what you mean e2u, but they're still great songs nonetheless no matter their popularity.

I agree....but take into consideration this is the music I would have to listen to forever..and I wouldn't want to be stuck with stuff I've grown sick of a long time ago

:sexywink:

elevation2u said:

I agree....but take into consideration this is the music I would have to listen to forever..and I wouldn't want to be stuck with stuff I've grown sick of a long time ago

:sexywink:

ahhhhh, gotcha.

damn you clear channel.

I know I'm probably alone in this, but if I was stranded on a desert island and had to listen to Elvis Costello's voice for the rest of my years . . . my years would be limited to the amount of time it would take me to run screaming to the island's beach and DROWN MYSELF!

Onward LemonMacPhisto!

FitzChivalry said:

actually, i think we should have it be "Desert Island iPod", because really . . . it's all about Playlists nowadays! :yes:

iPods only last a year and a half anways :lol:

FitzChivalry said:
I know I'm probably alone in this, but if I was stranded on a desert island and had to listen to Elvis Costello's voice for the rest of my years . . . my years would be limited to the amount of time it would take me to run screaming to the island's beach and DROWN MYSELF!

Onward LemonMacPhisto!

:grumpy:

corianderstem said:
Desert Island iPod? Does that mean we can submit a playlist with 4,000 songs on it? :wink:

Well, to be fair, I think the total # of songs should still be limited, but the Time Limit (80 min. x 2) requirements would be lifted!

I would want to put in some songs that remind me of my parents, as well as some "electronic/techno" songs I love, and those songs are all like 8 to 11 minutes long. "Desert Island iPod" would accomodate this without sacrificing quality for quantity.

Plus, it would spur creative thought as to how to re-charge your iPod!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom